Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The Church of Microsoft

The Church of Microsoft

Mackin

I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".

Bugger me Nathan, is Microsoft a software company or a religion? Will you
be knocking on our doors like JW's & Mormons next? Hey, perhaps you guys
really do worship Bill Gates as God.

I don't know how others feel, but I find job titles like that somewhat
distasteful.

Mackin

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <bm5we.10877$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
>announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
>refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".

"Evangelist" was used at Apple as a term for people whose job it was to
promote particular technologies, back in the first decade or so of the
Macintosh era.

See, Microsoft copies yet another idea from Apple. It wasn't enough for
them to commandeer the "Sucks Less" phrase from the System 7.5
development effort...

Roger_Nickel

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <bm5we.10877$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
>>announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
>>refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".

> "Evangelist" was used at Apple as a term for people whose job it was to
> promote particular technologies, back in the first decade or so of the
> Macintosh era.
>
> See, Microsoft copies yet another idea from Apple. It wasn't enough for
> them to commandeer the "Sucks Less" phrase from the System 7.5
> development effort...

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is
that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.....

....That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting
cannot be numbered.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Roger_Nickel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ....That which is crooked cannot be made straight...

They didn't have elastic or memory metals in Biblical times, did they...

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:41:43 +1200, Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:bm5we.10877$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
> announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
> refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".
>
> Bugger me Nathan, is Microsoft a software company or a religion? Will you
> be knocking on our doors like JW's & Mormons next? Hey, perhaps you guys
> really do worship Bill Gates as God.
>
> I don't know how others feel, but I find job titles like that somewhat
> distasteful.

.... not to mention pretentious and self-important in the extreme.
--
Nicolaas

.... The more grandiose the title the more menial and insignificant the
position.

David Preece

Mackin wrote:
> Bugger me Nathan, is Microsoft a software company or a religion?

Work it out for yourself: http://www.ntk.net/media/dancemonkeyboy.mpg

Dave

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:35:27 +1200, Roger_Nickel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <bm5we.10877$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
>>>announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
>>>refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".

>> "Evangelist" was used at Apple as a term for people whose job it was to
>> promote particular technologies, back in the first decade or so of the
>> Macintosh era.
>>
>> See, Microsoft copies yet another idea from Apple. It wasn't enough for
>> them to commandeer the "Sucks Less" phrase from the System 7.5
>> development effort...

> The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is
> that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.....
>
> ....That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting
> cannot be numbered.

.... and that which is ineffable cannot be effed.
(and neither can I)

--
Nicolaas

Tim

Or is it Amway?

Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
>announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
>refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".
>
>Bugger me Nathan, is Microsoft a software company or a religion?

By the way, "evangelist" comes from a Greek word which just means "good
news". Nothing more. No requirement to ascribe any religious
connotations to it at all. Unless you are of that bent.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:27:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
><(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In article <bm5we.10877$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
>>>announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
>>>refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".
>>>
>>>Bugger me Nathan, is Microsoft a software company or a religion?

>>By the way, "evangelist" comes from a Greek word which just means "good
>>news". Nothing more. No requirement to ascribe any religious
>>connotations to it at all. Unless you are of that bent.

>Common usage?

Quite . It may have meant that to greeks ... but those greeks are well
gone now. The meaning of words changes ... sometimes quickly (gay used to
mean happy and carefree for example - to me it still does ... but to many
... ? ).

Bruce

- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce