Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon Freehost server

Orcon Freehost server

Malone

Anyone know what's going on at Orcon? It has been impossible to edit web pages on their Freehost server for over a week and to view any pages for several days. Orcon say they are 'temporarily offline' whilst they are 'upgrading their storage system'. A half-competent ISP shouldn't need to take a server down for several days to do this.

It seems to me more likely that they are intensifying their policy of maintaining an appalling quality of service from the Freehost server in the hope that those of us with sites on it will go away and Orcon can extract themselves from their ill-advised free host offer.........

-=rjh=-

Malone wrote:
> Anyone know what's going on at Orcon? It has been impossible to edit web pages on their Freehost server for over a week and to view any pages for several days. Orcon say they are 'temporarily offline' whilst they are 'upgrading their storage system'. A half-competent ISP shouldn't need to take a server down for several days to do this.
>
> It seems to me more likely that they are intensifying their policy of maintaining an appalling quality of service from the Freehost server in the hope that those of us with sites on it will go away and Orcon can extract themselves from their ill-advised free host offer.........

Well, why don't you try asking politely on orcon.general instead of
bitching about it here?

Ah, too late - I've already done it.

mark

-=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:42bfb314$(E-Mail Removed):

> Subject: Re: Orcon Freehost server
> From: -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>
> Malone wrote:
>> Anyone know what's going on at Orcon? It has been impossible to edit
>> web pages on their Freehost server for over a week and to view any
>> pages for several days. Orcon say they are 'temporarily offline'
>> whilst they are 'upgrading their storage system'. A half-competent
>> ISP shouldn't need to take a server down for several days to do this.
>>
>> It seems to me more likely that they are intensifying their policy of
>> maintaining an appalling quality of service from the Freehost server
>> in the hope that those of us with sites on it will go away and Orcon
>> can extract themselves from their ill-advised free host
>> offer.........

> Well, why don't you try asking politely on orcon.general instead of
> bitching about it here?
>
> Ah, too late - I've already done it.

Mentioning how useless Orcon is here counts as a community service though,
doesn't it?

Invisible

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:40:42 +1200, "Malone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know what's going on at Orcon? It has been impossible to edit web pages on their Freehost server for over a week and to view any pages for several days. Orcon say they are 'temporarily offline' whilst they are 'upgrading their storage system'. A half-competent ISP shouldn't need to take a server down for several days to do this.

Seems to be up and running now, although I can't login in via FTP.

bereft@here.com

Invisible wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:40:42 +1200, "Malone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Anyone know what's going on at Orcon? It has been impossible to edit web pages on their Freehost server for over a week and to view any pages for several days. Orcon say they are 'temporarily offline' whilst they are 'upgrading their storage system'. A half-competent ISP shouldn't need to take a server down for several days to do this.

> Seems to be up and running now, although I can't login in via FTP.

It's obvious that Orcon want to dispense with Free hosting the way
they continually **** people around. That they take so long to
rectify problems, sometimes in excess of 6 weeks is indicative of
their inclinations. However, because of their slovenly maintenance
and stonewalling, why would anyone be enamoured with the idea of
changing to paying them for hosting?
Orcon needs to remember that word of mouth is one of the biggest
conveyors of opinion, good or bad.

Orcon either wants to front up and deliver what it offered, or give
notice of ceasing Free Hosting and give site owners access to their
files so they can remove same and move on.

Duncan

Orcon freehost down? JS NZ Computing 26 12-22-2004 06:56 AM
Orcon's freehost server Malone NZ Computing 6 12-19-2004 08:44 AM
Orcon's Freehost errors and alternative hosting options Max Quordlepleen NZ Computing 8 11-13-2003 07:53 PM

Advertisments