Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > AOC 19" LCD - Comments Please

AOC 19" LCD - Comments Please

Mackin

I'm thinking of getting one of these 19" AOC monitors.

The specs seem to be fairly good as is the price. I'm not into gaming so
the monitor will be for general computing only.

I'm interested in any comments anyone has about the quality and relability
of AOC monitors.

Thanks,
Mackin.

Rob

"Mackin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T8Hve.10469$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm thinking of getting one of these 19" AOC monitors.
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=340081
>
> The specs seem to be fairly good as is the price. I'm not into gaming so
> the monitor will be for general computing only.
>
> I'm interested in any comments anyone has about the quality and relability
> of AOC monitors.
>
> Thanks,
> Mackin.

You would be better with a Dell 1905FP 19" UltraSharp LCD Monitor for just a
little bit more.

Mackin

Rob wrote:

> "Mackin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:T8Hve.10469$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm thinking of getting one of these 19" AOC monitors.
>>
>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=340081
>>
>> The specs seem to be fairly good as is the price. I'm not into gaming so
>> the monitor will be for general computing only.
>>
>> I'm interested in any comments anyone has about the quality and
>> relability of AOC monitors.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mackin.

> You would be better with a Dell 1905FP 19" UltraSharp LCD Monitor for just
> a little bit more.

Why would I be better off with a Dell?

Is the Dell 6 bit or 8 bit colour depth? The specs on their web site doesn't
seem to say. And the Dell has a slightly slower response time.

I'm not being antagonistic, I am just interested in your reasons for saying
this.

Mackin.

Rob

The dell has some really good reviews, has pivot feature, and although it
has slightly slower response time, it is supposed to have good colour. I
doubt you would notice any different between 20ms and 16ms anyway. It also
has good height adjustments, a built in usb hub and I think it is better
looking than many other screens. I believe it does have 8 bit colour
capable of 16.7 col from what I have read from this article
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2332 . It is supposed to
use the samsung LTM190E4 8 bit panel in it.
I am not actually sure that the AOC has 8 bit colour, even though it says it
does on the ascent website, as lcds with 16ms response rate or less tend to
specify being 16.2m. AOC to me is always a budget brand, ebven though I have
heard that they made good CRTs.
Personally I would never buy a LCD with speakers in lcd housing, as they
never sound very good, and they make it look ugly.
I am also on the lookout for a good 19inch, with excellent colour
reproduction and so far the dell is at the top of my list, although I am
also looking at the new sony and apple lcds. I would have gone for philips,
but they are now only 16.2 m colours.

"Mackin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9WKve.10583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob wrote:
>

> > "Mackin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:T8Hve.10469$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I'm thinking of getting one of these 19" AOC monitors.
> >>
> >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=340081
> >>
> >> The specs seem to be fairly good as is the price. I'm not into gaming

so
> >> the monitor will be for general computing only.
> >>
> >> I'm interested in any comments anyone has about the quality and
> >> relability of AOC monitors.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mackin.

> > You would be better with a Dell 1905FP 19" UltraSharp LCD Monitor for

just
> > a little bit more.

> Why would I be better off with a Dell?
>
> Is the Dell 6 bit or 8 bit colour depth? The specs on their web site

doesn't
> seem to say. And the Dell has a slightly slower response time.
>
> I'm not being antagonistic, I am just interested in your reasons for

saying
> this.
>
> Mackin.

Adam

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:52:30 +1200, Mackin wrote:

>I'm thinking of getting one of these 19" AOC monitors.
>
>http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=340081
>
>The specs seem to be fairly good as is the price. I'm not into gaming so
>the monitor will be for general computing only.
>
>I'm interested in any comments anyone has about the quality and relability
>of AOC monitors.

I've said it here before, but take a look at the CMV equivalent.
Don't know how it compares price-wise (mine was cheap) but it's a
surprisingly good monitor.

My CM-922D is pretty slow (apparently) and I have it hooked up to my
work machine with a DV cable. I installed WolfET on it as a test and
it runs *great*. Maybe the DV inputs help. Needless to say,
productivity has taken a dive <LOL>.

Adam.

Tony

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:09:53 +1200, Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rob wrote:
>

>> "Mackin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:T8Hve.10469$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm thinking of getting one of these 19" AOC monitors.
>>>
>>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=340081
>>>
>>> The specs seem to be fairly good as is the price. I'm not into gaming so
>>> the monitor will be for general computing only.
>>>
>>> I'm interested in any comments anyone has about the quality and
>>> relability of AOC monitors.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mackin.

>> You would be better with a Dell 1905FP 19" UltraSharp LCD Monitor for just
>> a little bit more.

>Why would I be better off with a Dell?
>
>Is the Dell 6 bit or 8 bit colour depth? The specs on their web site doesn't
>seem to say. And the Dell has a slightly slower response time.
>
>I'm not being antagonistic, I am just interested in your reasons for saying
>this.
>
>Mackin.

If its 19.2 colours its 6 bit, if its 19.7 its 8 bit..

Mackin

Tony wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:09:53 +1200, Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Rob wrote:
>>

>>> "Mackin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:T8Hve.10469$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You would be better with a Dell 1905FP 19" UltraSharp LCD Monitor for
>>> just a little bit more.

>>Why would I be better off with a Dell?
>>
>>Is the Dell 6 bit or 8 bit colour depth? The specs on their web site
>>doesn't
>>seem to say. And the Dell has a slightly slower response time.
>>
>>I'm not being antagonistic, I am just interested in your reasons for
>>saying this.
>>
>>Mackin.

> If its 19.2 colours its 6 bit, if its 19.7 its 8 bit..

Thank you for stating the obvious Woger, but like I said, the Dell site
doesn't say what the colour depth is for that monitor.

Mackin.

Rob

news:_oMve.10631$(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

gaming

> >>Why would I be better off with a Dell?
> >>
> >>Is the Dell 6 bit or 8 bit colour depth? The specs on their web site
> >>doesn't
> >>seem to say. And the Dell has a slightly slower response time.
> >>
> >>I'm not being antagonistic, I am just interested in your reasons for
> >>saying this.
> >>
> >>Mackin.

> > If its 19.2 colours its 6 bit, if its 19.7 its 8 bit..

> Thank you for stating the obvious Woger, but like I said, the Dell site
> doesn't say what the colour depth is for that monitor.
>
> Mackin.

Supposedly it uses the samsung LTM190E4 8 bit lcd panel in it, so would be
16.7 mil colours

tiddlywink

"Mackin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T8Hve.10469$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm thinking of getting one of these 19" AOC monitors.
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=340081
>
> The specs seem to be fairly good as is the price. I'm not into gaming so
> the monitor will be for general computing only.
>
> I'm interested in any comments anyone has about the quality and relability
> of AOC monitors.
>
> Thanks,
> Mackin.

FWIIW
Brief review on it in latest NZ PC World, they do a comparison of 19" LCD's

max barwell

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:52:30 +1200, Mackin wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting one of these 19" AOC monitors.
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=340081
>
> The specs seem to be fairly good as is the price. I'm not into gaming so
> the monitor will be for general computing only.
>
> I'm interested in any comments anyone has about the quality and relability
> of AOC monitors.
>
> Thanks,
> Mackin.

I have an AOC 17" LCD, not the latest model however, but I reckon it's
great, and can't beat the price, I think the model I have is $300 now.
I have heard/read good things about CMV monitors too, and they are really
cheap aswell, good response times etc.

max