Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > what is nero dma manager?

what is nero dma manager?

~misfit~

putter wrote:
> "Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) .co.nz...
>> In article <42be0b52$(E-Mail Removed)>, putter@golf says...
>>> With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r
>>> with nero and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of
>>> a couple of tv episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression
>>> required) and the only problem I have run into is that nero dma
>>> manager will not work with my motherboard bios, a message says it
>>> will only work with bios dated 1999 or later, mine is 1998. I am
>>> running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my question is what
>>> does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or is it
>>> just an optional extra that is not necessary.

>> DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. It's supposed to speed data
>> transfer up (well, it does). It can also lead to a lot of problems if
>> things go wrong with it; look up -> bsod, snowcrash ...
>>
>> I shouldn't worry too much about it. With all modern drives now
>> supporting technology that prevents buffer underruns and 32x or
>> better read speeds the issue has become largely moot, i.m.o.
>>
>> I leave DMA off as a rule because the potential mayhem far outweighs
>> the practical gains. Rather wait 3 seconds longer for a program to
>> load from CD (and how often do you do that, anyway) than have one
>> nasty system crash. And I've had entirely too many of the latter
>> when experimenting with it.
>>
>> -Peter

> Thanks, I wasn't asking what dma is, I was asking what the dma manager
> program does, I know about dma but don't know what this program does
> that is different to what you can already do in bios and windows
> system, is this just a useless program that doubles up on what is
> already handled elsewhere or does it do something useful, you would
> think nobody would waste their time making a program that didn't do
> anything new but from the lack of responses here it is starting to
> look like nobody uses it.
> I only had some trouble with dma years ago, I have not had any
> trouble using it for at least the last 6 years.

I get the feeling that Nero circumvents Window's methods of accessing the
drive and accesses it directly itself. Hence the "doubling up" of the DMA
option. Maybe.
--
~misfit~

putter

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42bf55ed$0$24572$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news:42be0b52$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > my question is what does nero dma manager do

> I also have an LG 4163B, and have bought Nero 6 Reloaded.
> Nero 6 SmartStart has an icon to run Nero DMA Manager.
> The popup tooltip says:
>
> Check and change the status of the DMA mode. Activated
> DMA mode will increase the overall performance of your
> system.
>
> When opened, it displays a table with one row for the device, and a
> checkbox "DMA Enabled". You can check or uncheck the checkbox (and
> reboot) and change the DMA mode.
>
> If your drive works fast enough for you at present, I wouldn't worry.
>
> Mark

So basically the program is of no worth as you can already enable and
disable dma in windows system window, very strange.

Tony

On 27 Jun 2005 01:27:10 GMT, Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news:42be0b52$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> my question is what does nero dma manager do

>I also have an LG 4163B, and have bought Nero 6 Reloaded.
>Nero 6 SmartStart has an icon to run Nero DMA Manager.
>The popup tooltip says:

Not in my case..