Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > An example of why Open Source just doesn't work

An example of why Open Source just doesn't work

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Porky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:37:06 +1200, shannon wrote:
>
>> Porky wrote:
>>

>>> Its a tough world in the CSS sector ... and what got OSS to where it is
>>> today also strangles the crap out of it.
>>>
>>> Out ...
>>>

>> My Linksys router is happily running an embedded linux operating system
>> using the same components that the Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall uses.
>> I guess Cisco/Linksys have made the fantasy reality.
>>

> Its the old 10 % success rate blinds you to the other 90% OSS failures

Do you have a reference to back up that statistic?

simondo

Porky wrote:

<snip>

> Myself personally I think you should take this COLA crap back to
> the NG where it belongs ...
>
> I will spell it slowly for you so bling blong and lawrence and
> others dont get confused.
>
> C .....O ......L ......L......A
>

> Thats why COLA was created in the first place for these fanatical muslim
> like suicide bomber mentality folks, who think they are saving the world
> from evil greedy capitalists.
>
> A bit like a Black Adder re-run but with out any adverts.
>

> Cheers ....

Why don't you address that to the original poster? Neither of the people
slandered actually started the thread....

simondo

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <42c0757a$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd rather be PI than PC, if it means getting people to challenge
>their own thinking on what they're told is right or wrong...

I guess it's no longer PC to be PC...

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42be164a$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dumbkiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:38:00 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
>>
>>> Just one example of someone coming to realise that producing stuff for
>>> free doesn't put food on the table, and will be taken advantage of by
>>> many others.

>> You have missed the fundamental point. Open source is a development
>> model, and not a business model.

>If that's true the Open Source isn't going to ever be much use to the
>ordinary user (most computer users BTW), or any business that wants computer
>systems that allow their staff to be productive....

Both your claims are wrong. I have business clients with staff who are
productive using Open Source systems.

As for non-business clients, my mother has occasionally been saying she
wants to get onto the Internet. I have suggested that, when she does,
that I and/or my brother set up a Linux system for her. It will do the
job of basic Internet connectivity, Web and e-mail access, with minimal
fuss. The very fact that it is unable to run all the various odd little
bits of software out there will be an advantage, simply because we won't
have the headaches of keeping out viruses, worms, Trojans,
adware/spyware and all the other crap.