Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > An example of why Open Source just doesn't work

An example of why Open Source just doesn't work

H.O.G

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:09:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> spoke these fine words:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Just one example of someone coming to realise that producing stuff for
>>free doesn't put food on the table, and will be taken advantage of by
>>many others.
>>
>>From http://linuxrouter.org/ :
>>
>>News:
>>2003-06-22
>>LRP == R.I.P. (1997-2002)

>News travels fast on the Internet, doesn't it...

A couple of people have commented in this. I guess one of the great
things about the Internet is that it is relatively timeless...

So, how is my post not relevant because it quotes an article from a
couple of years ago rather than last week, and secondly, how come you
chose to base your reply on this than the content?

Matty F

H.O.G wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:28:59 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
> these fine words:

>>Woger you are a prat as usual. Admit it you are too stupid to use OSS.

> I am not Woger. Note that I can actually string two sentences
> together, and know how to use punctuation .

Why are there seven spaces before your full stop then?

shannon

Shane wrote:

> nice three year old link
> his code _should_ have been protected by the GPL (I forget if thats what
> he released it under) and the companies that stole his code _should_ have
> been bound by the terms of that license
> (as it is a license is only any good if your lawyer is big enough)
> Ive used his stuff, its nice, and since the supposed *end* (last year as a
> matter of fact)
> troll rating: 4 out of ten
> nice.. youre going to get some bites (have already)
> but its 3 years old
> and the OSS community is/has getting thier **** together with respect to
> business models and protecting thier hard work from being swallowed up
> inside closed source products

Dave Cinege who wrote the bleat that hog cut and pasted used the LRP
mailing list to put his personal political view that Timothy McVeigh,
convicted murderer of 168 was a hero.
The rest of the developers left the project in disgust and started LEAF.
They were already fed up with him anyway.
Try searching for him on Google groups and you will get the picture.

H.O.G

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:33:44 +1200, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)>
spoke these fine words:

>H.O.G wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:28:59 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
>> these fine words:

>>>Woger you are a prat as usual. Admit it you are too stupid to use OSS.

>> I am not Woger. Note that I can actually string two sentences
>> together, and know how to use punctuation .

>Why are there seven spaces before your full stop then?

You don't say?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

H.O.G wrote:
> What part of this do you think is trolling? How can give something
> away put food on the table? Therefore, there are very few professional
> developers for Linux. All other developers are taken advantage of.
> Fact.

Quite true that giving stuff away does not put kai in front of the
whanau, but OSS coders give their code willingly. They actually
want you to reap the benefits of their collaborative efforts, and
reap the advantages of using OSS. So if you wanna try and claim
that OSS devs are being taken advantage of thats fine...it just
makes for a pretty poor troll attempt...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Chris Hope

Matty F wrote:

> H.O.G wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:28:59 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
>> these fine words:

>>>Woger you are a prat as usual. Admit it you are too stupid to use
>>>OSS.

>> I am not Woger. Note that I can actually string two sentences
>> together, and know how to use punctuation .

> Why are there seven spaces before your full stop then?

Haven't heard of irony, huh?

-=rjh=-

Chris Hope wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
>

>>H.O.G wrote:
>>

>>>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:28:59 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
>>>these fine words:

>>>I am not Woger. Note that I can actually string two sentences
>>>together, and know how to use punctuation .

>>Why are there seven spaces before your full stop then?

> Haven't heard of irony, huh?

What's even funnier, is that Matty F actually counted them!

Bret

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:34:00 +1200, shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dave Cinege who wrote the bleat that hog cut and pasted used the LRP
>mailing list to put his personal political view that Timothy McVeigh,
>convicted murderer of 168 was a hero.

He was a hero, the US government gave him the bronze star in the Gulf
war.

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:30:50 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

> So, how is my post not relevant because it quotes an article from a
> couple of years ago rather than last week, and secondly, how come you
> chose to base your reply on this than the content?

If the content is out of date (ie ancient history), then why bother?

Bling Bling

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:02:12 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Quite true that giving stuff away does not put kai in front of the
> whanau, but OSS coders give their code willingly. They actually
> want you to reap the benefits of their collaborative efforts, and
> reap the advantages of using OSS. So if you wanna try and claim
> that OSS devs are being taken advantage of thats fine...it just
> makes for a pretty poor troll attempt...

This I don't understand - how a developer could possibly be taken
advantage-of when they have willingly produced OSS knowing that other
developers *will* use their code; and where said developer has
deliberately sought out and uses OSS released by developers for others to
freely use and to modify.

Where is the abuse in that?

Bling Bling