Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Transfering Files from Mac 9 to 10

Transfering Files from Mac 9 to 10

Ron Hawker

Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
And a new eMac running OS X 10.4

Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
cable.

I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
my windows pc to the 10.4

No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
Ive tried apple talk and tcip

I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
work

Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try that
way.

Thanks
Dane

thing

Ron Hawker wrote:
> Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
> And a new eMac running OS X 10.4
>
> Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
> cable.
>
> I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
> my windows pc to the 10.4
>
> No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
> Ive tried apple talk and tcip
>
> I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
> work
>
> Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try that
> way.
>
> Thanks
> Dane

The speed negoitiation on iMacs is crap (TM).

I have a 500Mhz one and in 9.2.2 its 10 half and in 10.3 its 100 half,
those are my only options....full duplex does not work, neither does
speed negoitiation......so I have a hub for when I want 9.2 and a 100
switch when I want 10.3 and swap the cable as neither will work on the
others network hardware! ffs and this is a good OS?

So your connection issue is almost certainly that of speed followed by
duplex mode. You could transfer to the pc from 9.2 then from the pc to
10.4.......

A Firewire network I think needs ethernet over firewire....I dont know
if 9.2.2 will do that I assume 10.x will.

regards

Thing

binky

Ron Hawker wrote:

> Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
> And a new eMac running OS X 10.4
>
> Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
> cable.
>
> I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
> my windows pc to the 10.4
>
> No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
> Ive tried apple talk and tcip
>
> I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
> work
>
> Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try that
> way.
>
> Thanks
> Dane

If you have a firewire port on your old mac connect the two firewire ports,
reboot old mac with T-key held down (you should see the firewire symbol
come up in a screensaver-like mode).

The old mac should now appear on the desktop as a Firewire Hard Drive.

Now copy the whole drive (you don´t want to go back and do all this again
later) onto a suitable location on the new eMac, e.g into the /Users/Shared
directory

When you´ve finished, unmount the old iMac from the eMac desktop and power
it off with the front button

hth
--
john in sydney
Mandrake Linux 10.1, Kernel version: 2.6.10-1.mm.21john

Ron Hawker

binky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ron Hawker wrote:
>
> > Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
> > And a new eMac running OS X 10.4
> >
> > Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
> > cable.
> >
> > I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
> > my windows pc to the 10.4
> >
> > No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
> > Ive tried apple talk and tcip
> >
> > I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
> > work
> >
> > Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try that
> > way.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dane

> If you have a firewire port on your old mac connect the two firewire ports,
> reboot old mac with T-key held down (you should see the firewire symbol
> come up in a screensaver-like mode).
>
> The old mac should now appear on the desktop as a Firewire Hard Drive.
>
> Now copy the whole drive (you don´t want to go back and do all this again
> later) onto a suitable location on the new eMac, e.g into the /Users/Shared
> directory
>
> When you´ve finished, unmount the old iMac from the eMac desktop and power
> it off with the front button
>
> hth

Will go to dick smiths and get one, thanks

scott

re FireWire:
If you follow the instructions sent in another reply for starting the
iMac in FireWire Target mode it will behave like an external firewire
hard disk. You don't need any networking protocols at all.

Scott

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ron Hawker wrote:
> > Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
> > And a new eMac running OS X 10.4
> >
> > Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
> > cable.
> >
> > I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
> > my windows pc to the 10.4
> >
> > No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
> > Ive tried apple talk and tcip
> >
> > I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
> > work
> >
> > Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try that
> > way.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dane
> >

> The speed negoitiation on iMacs is crap (TM).
>
> I have a 500Mhz one and in 9.2.2 its 10 half and in 10.3 its 100 half,
> those are my only options....full duplex does not work, neither does
> speed negoitiation......so I have a hub for when I want 9.2 and a 100
> switch when I want 10.3 and swap the cable as neither will work on the
> others network hardware! ffs and this is a good OS?
>
> So your connection issue is almost certainly that of speed followed by
> duplex mode. You could transfer to the pc from 9.2 then from the pc to
> 10.4.......
>
> A Firewire network I think needs ethernet over firewire....I dont know
> if 9.2.2 will do that I assume 10.x will.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

David Preece

binky wrote:
> If you have a firewire port on your old mac connect the two firewire ports,
> reboot old mac with T-key held down (you should see the firewire symbol
> come up in a screensaver-like mode).
>
> The old mac should now appear on the desktop as a Firewire Hard Drive.

Another vote for this being the smart (easy) way to do it

Cheers,
Dave

Roger Johnstone

In <1gypmoz.gfdo5z1jdoe68N%(E-Mail Removed)> Ron Hawker wrote:

> Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
> And a new eMac running OS X 10.4
>
> Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
> cable.
>
> I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
> my windows pc to the 10.4
>
> No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
> Ive tried apple talk and tcip
>
> I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
> work
>
> Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try
> that way.

Some info here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...um=106461#sec4

The likely problem is the fact that 10.4 has dropped support for
filesharing over an AppleTalk network. It still supports AppleTalk for
browsing the network, but the actual filesharing only works over TCP/IP.

Mac OS 9 works with either AppleTalk or TCP/IP, but by default TCP/IP is
turned off for file serving. Open the File Sharing control panel and
make sure the option "enable file sharing clients to connect over TCP/
IP" is turned on.

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The speed negoitiation on iMacs is crap (TM).

Based on the problems I've seen, I'd have to agree.

>I have a 500Mhz one and in 9.2.2 its 10 half and in 10.3 its 100 half,
>those are my only options....full duplex does not work, neither does
>speed negoitiation.....

I have heard that speed negotiation is generally problematic anyway. Did
you try Apple's Duplexer Tool to change your settings?

Bob McLellan

I have OS X 10.3 and OS 9.1 talking over Appletalk. You just need to
find all the 'hidden' settings. I won't attempt to detail off the steps
needed to make it work.
Ron Hawker wrote:
> Hi there. Got an iMac running Mac OS 9.2
> And a new eMac running OS X 10.4
>
> Ive been trying all morning trying to link the two using a ethernet
> cable.
>
> I was able to use the cable earlier in the week to transfer files from
> my windows pc to the 10.4
>
> No matter what I try I can get Mac OS 10.4 to see the 9.2 Hard Disk
> Ive tried apple talk and tcip
>
> I get and "incompatible version AFP Protocol error" or it just doesnt
> work
>
> Is their an easy way to do this? Or to get a firewire cable and try that
> way.
>
> Thanks
> Dane

transfering files =?Utf-8?B?TUFMQlhOWQ==?= Wireless Networking 4 04-15-2006 04:43 AM
transfering to PC to MAC alan Firefox 2 01-25-2006 11:04 AM
Transfering files over network, speed and Laptop performance? TIA. Mac Wireless Networking 4 08-26-2005 01:00 AM
transfering files from one server to another through internet (ftp) Patrick Steele [MVP] ASP .Net 4 06-17-2004 04:58 AM
Transfering files from one computer to another one Terry Microsoft Certification 5 07-25-2003 01:08 AM

Advertisments