Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Are you a TradeMe liar?

Are you a TradeMe liar?

Canon Paora Tikitiki

It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

Richard

Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
> It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
> truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
> don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

Nope, put details of the product up warts and all, and then let people bid what
they want. If 2 people want it and are prepaired to pay too much, that only
benifits the seller.

Phstpok

Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
> It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
> truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
> don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

That is why they have feedback. Check the seller's feedback first b4
buying.

Even then it is still a matter of buyer beware.

Rob

thing

Phstpok wrote:
> Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
>
>> It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
>> truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
>> don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

> That is why they have feedback. Check the seller's feedback first b4
> buying.
>
> Even then it is still a matter of buyer beware.
>
> Rob

And a retail shop is any different? they often will sell you anything
anyway.......

Trademe is an auction after all so its buyer beware and to an extent it
is up to you to ask Qs.

Going into an auction should mean you are aware it is an auction, be
careful and bid to an according level. eg I dont normally go above
50~60% of the new retail cost, and only that high if its near new. ie a
10 year old kayak is 50%+ used up so not worth 60% of a new one....its
worth 30~40% of a new one. Especially as this time of year vendors are
offering 20+% off the so called retail price anyway.

If the item is not as advertised though or obviously damaged with no
mention, I email to complain and seek a refund/explanation. Give the
seller a chance, many missed things or want to protect their feedback.

If its not forthcoming you can give poor/bad feedback, I do.

regards

Thing

I'm a Trampoline

thing wrote:

> Going into an auction should mean you are aware it is an auction, be
> careful and bid to an according level. eg I dont normally go above
> 50~60% of the new retail cost, and only that high if its near new.

I go right up to two thirds of the new price, and this isn't good enough
for the majority of sellers I've dealt with this year. I tell them in
the Q&A what I'll pay if I'm the last one (around two thirds) and they
always come back with a higher offer (which I refuse).

I love getting to see the things turn up again, especially then they
resign themselves to the fact that they're not even get as much as your
original offer. The best "up yours" I ever got over a seller was when I
knowingly bid against an obvious shill bidder (I'm embarrased about
this, but I really wanted the item). I got right up to two thirds, and
they just couldn't help themselves, they bid higher and won.

thing

I'm a Trampoline wrote:
> thing wrote:
>

>> Going into an auction should mean you are aware it is an auction, be
>> careful and bid to an according level. eg I dont normally go above
>> 50~60% of the new retail cost, and only that high if its near new.

> I go right up to two thirds of the new price, and this isn't good enough
> for the majority of sellers I've dealt with this year. I tell them in
> the Q&A what I'll pay if I'm the last one (around two thirds) and they
> always come back with a higher offer (which I refuse).

yeah...me too.....

> I love getting to see the things turn up again, especially then they
> resign themselves to the fact that they're not even get as much as your
> original offer. The best "up yours" I ever got over a seller was when I
> knowingly bid against an obvious shill bidder (I'm embarrased about
> this, but I really wanted the item). I got right up to two thirds, and
> they just couldn't help themselves, they bid higher and won.

I dont think Ive been shilled on trademe, I have on ebay though, silly
buggers made it so obvious....I bid on 4 (or 6) scsi drives at $50 US
autobid, so one bid crept up to $50.05 so I lost it. The others shortly
afterwards all crept up to $49.95 and stopped so I "won". Yet I was the
only bidder, with all the 49.95s and the one 50.05 as the other one
brand new bidder....So I reported it to ebay, they said nothing
wrong...yeah right....I walked away....

I do suspect that there is some shill'ing going on though, its just
subtle enough to not be that sure, trick is to set yourself what its
worth and walk away.

I often see things re-posted after I have declined the fixed offer, I
bid again to what I want to pay and stop...Ive ended up the top or only
bidder on the same item quite a few times......and rejected the offer
every time...

regards

Thing

Steve Marshall

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Do that a few times on mine and get blacklisted

Your loss, then.

~misfit~

thing wrote:

> I often see things re-posted after I have declined the fixed offer, I
> bid again to what I want to pay and stop...Ive ended up the top or
> only bidder on the same item quite a few times......and rejected the
> offer every time...

Same here. Some people don't seem to get the message that you aren't willing
to pay what they're offering it for and you're giving them a more realistic
option. They must have far more time than I have, to keep re-listing for the
sake of a few bucks.
--
~misfit~

Allistar

Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:

> It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
> truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
> don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

Equally annoying is when you run a "buyer pickup" auction, only to find the
person with the winner bid lives on the other side of the country. "I'll
pay for the postage" doesn't cut it. I made it buyer pick up because I
can't be shagged posting it, whether I get paid for the postage or not.

Allistar.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 03:38:02 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora
Tikitiki) wrote:

>It's disgustinig the way people lie or just forget to tell the whole
>truth about what they're selling - taking advantage of people who
>don't really know a lot about the things they are buying.

Q. How old is your DVD player?
A. About 2 years old.
Truth. Not less than 5 years

Q. Is your DSE recorder a rebranded Mustek?
A. No it's a DSE
Truth. It's a DSE rebranded Mustek - a worse than bad one.