Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Apple OSX Upgrade

Reply
Thread Tools

Apple OSX Upgrade

 
 
Rider
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2005
OK, I know about this much |-| about Apple hardware or software. A client
has asked me if there is an upgrade file to take his OS-X from 10.1.4 to
10.2.3.

he asked right after I told him I know absolutely nothing about Apple
products. :$

Anyone know what he can do? The new printer he bought doesnt support his
software .... even though the local Dick Smurf sales people assured him it
would work fine - LoL

Rider


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
AD.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2005
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +1200, Rider wrote:

> OK, I know about this much |-| about Apple hardware or software. A client
> has asked me if there is an upgrade file to take his OS-X from 10.1.4 to
> 10.2.3.
>
> he asked right after I told him I know absolutely nothing about Apple
> products. :$
>
> Anyone know what he can do?


Legally, he'll have to shell out for an upgrade. I'm not entirely sure but
it'll probably cost about $200-250, and at the moment only upgrades to
10.4 will likely be available in the shops.

A second hand one maybe?

--
Cheers
Anton

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Hope
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2005
AD. wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +1200, Rider wrote:
>
>> OK, I know about this much |-| about Apple hardware or software. A
>> client has asked me if there is an upgrade file to take his OS-X from
>> 10.1.4 to 10.2.3.
>>
>> he asked right after I told him I know absolutely nothing about Apple
>> products. :$
>>
>> Anyone know what he can do?

>
> Legally, he'll have to shell out for an upgrade. I'm not entirely sure
> but it'll probably cost about $200-250, and at the moment only
> upgrades to 10.4 will likely be available in the shops.


The last time I asked I was told the only way to do it is to buy the
current version. The 10.4 release is in the $200 to $250 price range
but the older 10.3 release was in the $250 to $300 range.

There's no special upgrade price or anything as far as I can tell; it
looks like the installer either creates a new installation or offers
you the option to upgrade an existing one if there was one already
there. I guess not having an upgrade price makes sense because the
hardware comes with the OS, so you're only ever going to be buying the
OS as an upgrade for your existing system.

> A second hand one maybe?


--
Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.co.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Hoult
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2005
In article <KIJue.9854$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, I know about this much |-| about Apple hardware or software. A client
> has asked me if there is an upgrade file to take his OS-X from 10.1.4 to
> 10.2.3.


If the printer requires 10.2.3 then it shoud work with anything later
than that too.

Which is a good thing, as the only way you'll find anything as ancient
as 10.2.3 (late 2002 or early 2003?) is used. 10.4 has been out for
several months.

For future reference: Retail packs will be 10.1.0 or 10.2.0 or 10.3.0
etc and cost, generally US$130 or so new. You can then update to
whatever the latest point version within that major version is for free
online (for some value of free that involves downloading up to about 100
MB).

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Hoult | 174.8263E | /\ here. | ----------O----------
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kristofer Clayton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2005
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +1200, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know what he can do? The new printer he bought doesnt support his
>software .... even though the local Dick Smurf sales people assured him it
>would work fine - LoL


I don't think the local Dick Smurf people would know what an Apple
computer was, let alone know if it would work...

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand
 
Reply With Quote
 
thing
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2005
Kristofer Clayton wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +1200, "Rider"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Anyone know what he can do? The new printer he bought doesnt support his
>>software .... even though the local Dick Smurf sales people assured him it
>>would work fine - LoL

>
>
> I don't think the local Dick Smurf people would know what an Apple
> computer was, let alone know if it would work...
>
> --
> Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
> Gisborne, New Zealand


Most printer manufacturers do apple software drivers, I assume its a
Canon? or something "popular" as DSE are selling it. We have a Canon
5000 series on OSx 10.3 I just downloaded the drivers and away it went.
I also run a Brother, Epson and a HP off it without a problem....so most
major makes should be covered.

If it wont work take it back to DSE and get a refund.

As for the OS, I dont think you can get an upgrade as such, you just buy
the full retail OSx 10.4 pack at around $230~280 ish I think it was and
install. You could install over what you have or buy an external
firewire disk and put 10.3 on that. Or do waht I did, install a new disk
into the imac and put the old disk into a DSE firewire case. The iMac
saw the "old" OS 9.2 as bootable off the firewire, (which surprised me),
so I ended up with a new 9.2.2, an old 9.2.2 and a new full 10.3.....

regards

Thing

 
Reply With Quote
 
Roger Johnstone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2005
In <(E-Mail Removed)> Kristofer Clayton wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +1200, "Rider"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Anyone know what he can do? The new printer he bought doesnt support
>>his software .... even though the local Dick Smurf sales people
>>assured him it would work fine - LoL

>
> I don't think the local Dick Smurf people would know what an Apple
> computer was, let alone know if it would work...


I hope they learn in a hurry (I'm not confident), because it looks like
they're going to be selling them. I noticed the Mac mini on the DSE web
site a couple of weeks ago. They might only be selling them through the
PowerHouse stores (only one in NZ is in Hamilton), but they normally
state that on the product page.

--
Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/
__________________________________________________ ______________________
No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alastair McAllister
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-25-2005
In <(E-Mail Removed)> Roger Johnstone wrote:

> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Kristofer Clayton
> wrote:


>> I don't think the local Dick Smurf people would know what an Apple
>> computer was, let alone know if it would work...


> I hope they learn in a hurry (I'm not confident), because it looks
> like they're going to be selling them. I noticed the Mac mini on the
> DSE web site a couple of weeks ago. They might only be selling them
> through the PowerHouse stores (only one in NZ is in Hamilton), but
> they normally state that on the product page.


I've also noticed iBooks on their web site although, from what I can
recall, these were also available only at the Powerhouse store. They
might be testing the water to see if there's enough demand to introduce
these products into their mainstream stores, but we'll have to wait and
see.

--
Regards, Alastair.
Wellington, New Zealand
www.alastair.geek.nz

My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
posting.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple sues Apple over iPod GraB NZ Computing 2 03-29-2006 08:49 PM
Apple iPod trash, like all Apple products Rich DVD Video 8 02-27-2006 01:32 AM



Advertisments