Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ISP's who still resell Jetstream?

ISP's who still resell Jetstream?

Adam

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:55:20 +1200, bt wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:53:57 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
>
>> OK. But why is it called "broad band" rather than "high speed", if
>> high speed is what you really mean?

>The terms are used interchangably. You can use your engineering definitions
>when talking to the policy board of a network engineering adminstrative.
>
>*I* 'really mean' little in this debate aside from refuting your obtuse,
>pedantic definitions of words in common usage in order to substantiate an
>original, dubious claim instead of simply saying 'sorry, I meant...'.
>
>> Broadband has a technical definition. So does baseband.
>> ADSL has multiple bands spread across a broad spectrum.
>> It seems that somewhere along the way a lot of folks have
>> decided to now use "broadband" as a generic term.

>For the same reason that the term 'hacker' has been perverted from it's
>original meaning into a negative, criminal one.
>
>As have many other words in English. Indeed, the majority.
>
>You can either ignore the new definition and continue with the old; and be
>misunderstood.
>
>Or you can use the new, accept it as the result of a living language, and
>be understood.
>
>Your choice, and no skin off my nose either way.

Yeah well - I always hated the term "Quantum Leap" - as it's a true
oxymoron (hehe - go look it up!). "Quantum", by definition, is *pretty
bloody small*.

Having derived from Clive Sinclair's marketing hype for the [then
called] "Quantum series (QL)" it got corrupted by typically brain-dead
media people. Yay, even BBC newesreaders <gasp!> have been known to
say it. I squirm every time I hear it.

However, I think that Telecom [over]uses the term "Broadband" to
misrepresent - or hide a multitiude of evils - a service that's only a
small step up from dial-up (a Quantum Leap, maybe?). Just about anyone
outside NZ will have a totally different definition of "Broadband".

Adam.

Sc00ter

On , , Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:47:56 +1200, Re: ISP's who still
resell Jetstream?, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Hmmm...
>>>
>>> Can't call that a high speed broadband connection to the Internet tho'
>>> - 'coz it's not!

>> Did you hear me call it that?

>No. Did I say I heard you call it that?
>

>>> It's little better than dialup.

>> It's a *lot* better than dialup.

>At maximum it is only a four-fold improvement over a standard 56k dialup
>modem.

Four fold improvement is MUCH better than dialup.
It is 400% better.
But what would a baggage handler know.

--
"I ain't proud of much I done in my life and what I
am proud of is disgusting." - Moe, "The Simpsons"

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:31:12 +1200, shannon wrote:

> 400Mb/s is a lot faster than 100 Mb/s
> Four times faster.

And which ISPs anywhere in the world provide a 400mb/s broadband service?

Bling Bling

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:17:54 +1200, Bret wrote:

>>"a" is singular, "ways" is plural.

> And?

.... Micro$oft is not interested in looking after the people it's ripping
off.

Bling Bling

--
"Linux and MySQL are going to keep chipping away at Micro$ofts' install base
and it is terrified. Why else would they keep spouting on about how awful