Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ISP's who still resell Jetstream?

ISP's who still resell Jetstream?

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:55:09 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

> Nowhere in any of my posts have I said 256k or 2mb is full speed ADSL. I
> also don't consider 256k to be fast, just somewhat faster than dialup.

I agree that it be "somewhat faster" than dialup.

But it is not a high-speed service.

It is the communications equivalent of "Microsoft Windows XP Home" - a
deliberately crippled product.

Bling Bling

Chris Hope

Bling-Bling wrote:

>>> Four times faster is not generally described as "alot faster".

>> Not generally defined by who? Let's look at a couple of different
>> examples. Under your definition, the person who won a marathon in 2
>> hours didn't run it much faster than the person who walked it in 8.
>> The person driving at 200km/h in a 50km/h zone isn't driving much
>> faster than the speed limit. And that iso image that took me ~7 hours
>> to download wasn't much faster than you taking ~27 hours on dialup.

> Dude - you're ****ing into the wind - I successfully download DVD ISO
> images over dialup.

No kidding. I never said you couldn't do that. And I know you do, from
the posts you have made about it in the past. However it doesn't suit
me personally, expecially as I download a considerable number of isos
every month (this month especially, as there have been a number of
major version releases in the Linux world) and need to get them as
quickly as possible without too much expense.

> I am content to wait until NZ has a genuine high-speed broadband
> service at an affordable price.

Good for you. It suits you and you have no reason to change at the
present time. I personally detest dialup internet access using a modem,
and given that I work from home it suits me even less, as I'd need to
have a dedicated line for dialup access.

> Those who are buying the inferior product offered by Telecom/Xtra are
> simply encouraging Telecom NOT to provide a good service.

I don't think people using it or not using it is really going to make
any difference. Unfortunately for all of us, there's no real
comptetition (TelstraClear doesn't seem to be particularly interested
in home users) and Telecom is really only responsible to its overseas
shareholders, and it's in their interests to make as much money as
possible. Providing a not-as-good-as-it-could-be service for as much
money as possible is what makes them more money. The only way we're
going to see improvement in the near future is if the commerce
commission grows a backbone, or the government actually forces
Telecom's hand.

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:19:17 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

> The only way we're
> going to see improvement in the near future is if the commerce
> commission grows a backbone, or the government actually forces
> Telecom's hand.

Agreed.

And I can wait until then.

Bling Bling

shannon

Bling-Bling wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:14:20 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
>

>>>4 times a modem isnt high speed.

>>I didn't say it was. But it's a lot faster than a modem.

> Four times faster is not generally described as "alot faster".
>
> 100mbit ethernet is alot faster than 10mbit ethernet.
>
> Gigabit Ethernet is a shitload faster than 10mbit ethernet.
>

> Bling Bling

400Mb/s is a lot faster than 100 Mb/s
Four times faster.

bt

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:39:08 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:

> ADSL *is* broadband, no matter what the speed.
> It is the mode of modulation and transmission that classifies it as such.

Utter crap.

Broadband refers to high speed data communications. Not a specific group of
protocols and wires, and especially NOT any that are slower than a 56k
modem!

Keep taking your pills mate.

--

.... Brendan

[sig on holiday while main comp is repaired]

Murray Symon

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:25:31 +1200, bt wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:39:08 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
>
>> ADSL *is* broadband, no matter what the speed.
>> It is the mode of modulation and transmission that classifies it as such.

> Utter crap.
>
> Broadband refers to high speed data communications. Not a specific group of
> protocols and wires, and especially NOT any that are slower than a 56k
> modem!
>
> Keep taking your pills mate.

OK. But why is it called "broad band" rather than "high speed", if
high speed is what you really mean?
Broadband has a technical definition. So does baseband.
ADSL has multiple bands spread across a broad spectrum.
It seems that somewhere along the way a lot of folks have
decided to now use "broadband" as a generic term.

So be it.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:57:33 +1200, Chris Hope
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Bret wrote:

>>> Spelling error Bro "tho'" and "'coz" are not words.

>>And 'Bro' is?

>I'm allowed, I don't claim to be the perfect example of spelling and
>grammar, this goes back a ways Chris.

^^^^^^

"a" is singular, "ways" is plural.

Lawrence D’Oliveiro

In article <pan.2005.06.25.05.49.36.209076@TRACKER>,
Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:39:08 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
>
>> ADSL *is* broadband, no matter what the speed.
>> It is the mode of modulation and transmission that classifies it as such.

>Well it certainly is not a narrowband transmission.

The opposite of "broadband" is "baseband".

"Baseband" means that the communication signal frequencies are sent as
is, e.g. a voice phone call over an analog landline. "Broadband" means
the signal frequencies are modulated onto higher-frequency carriers in
order to make greater use of the available bandwidth of the physical
channel. This is what ADSL does.

bt

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:53:57 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:

> OK. But why is it called "broad band" rather than "high speed", if
> high speed is what you really mean?

The terms are used interchangably. You can use your engineering definitions
when talking to the policy board of a network engineering adminstrative.

*I* 'really mean' little in this debate aside from refuting your obtuse,
pedantic definitions of words in common usage in order to substantiate an
original, dubious claim instead of simply saying 'sorry, I meant...'.

> Broadband has a technical definition. So does baseband.
> ADSL has multiple bands spread across a broad spectrum.
> It seems that somewhere along the way a lot of folks have
> decided to now use "broadband" as a generic term.

For the same reason that the term 'hacker' has been perverted from it's
original meaning into a negative, criminal one.

As have many other words in English. Indeed, the majority.

You can either ignore the new definition and continue with the old; and be
misunderstood.

Or you can use the new, accept it as the result of a living language, and
be understood.

Your choice, and no skin off my nose either way.

--

.... Brendan

[sig on holiday while main comp is repaired]

Bret

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:51:49 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:57:33 +1200, Chris Hope
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>And 'Bro' is?

>>I'm allowed, I don't claim to be the perfect example of spelling and
>>grammar, this goes back a ways Chris.

> ^^^^^^
>
>"a" is singular, "ways" is plural.

And?