Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Thinking of getting a Dell server with Red Hat ASx?

Thinking of getting a Dell server with Red Hat ASx?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>forget it.
>
>Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
That said ...

>I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
>thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
>them knock me back each time I need support.
>
>This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
supplier ?

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

thing2

forget it.

Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
them knock me back each time I need support.

This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

If someone lets me know of success stories with someone else (like IBM
or HP ie first tier vendors) for RH or Suse please let me know.

regards

Thing

Chris Hope

thing2 wrote:

> forget it.
>
> Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.
>
> I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and
> lost thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only
> to have them knock me back each time I need support.
>
> This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.
>
> If someone lets me know of success stories with someone else (like IBM
> or HP ie first tier vendors) for RH or Suse please let me know.

Cue Roger making some comment about "Lunix" and/or Dell

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:
>>>forget it.
>>>
>>>Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

>> Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
>> That said ...

>>>I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
>>>thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
>>>them knock me back each time I need support.
>>>
>>>This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

>> Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
>> supplier ?

>Dell supplied the RHAS3 OS with the server. We buy it like that to get a
>one stop call up shop, at least that was the theory and what we were told.

... but this would not have been so for windows either would it ? .. or are
you suggesting it would ? If so, why would you think that ? Have you dealt
with dell before or is this the first time ? - they might just "be like
this" ... I have heard stories

>I have Dell gold support so was expecting Dell to escalate it to redhat
>if they could not fix it themselves, Dell tell me they dont have the
>capability even though they have taken the $s for 12+months.
>So Im really p*ssed with them.........

Sounds like great marketing ... and (perhaps) a poor intiial purchasing
decision ?

>I am now looking at renewing the licences with rh direct.

Let us know how they are to deal with ... could be interesting

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

thing2

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>forget it.
>>
>>Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

> Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
> That said ...
>

>>I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
>>thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
>>them knock me back each time I need support.
>>
>>This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

> Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
> supplier ?
>
> Bruce

Dell supplied the RHAS3 OS with the server. We buy it like that to get a
one stop call up shop, at least that was the theory and what we were told.

I have Dell gold support so was expecting Dell to escalate it to redhat
if they could not fix it themselves, Dell tell me they dont have the
capability even though they have taken the $s for 12+months.

So Im really p*ssed with them.........

I am now looking at renewing the licences with rh direct.

regards

thing

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>> .. but this would not have been so for windows either would it ? .. or are
>> you suggesting it would ? If so, why would you think that ? Have you dealt
>> with dell before or is this the first time ? - they might just "be like
>> this" ... I have heard stories

>Dell have windows people, our windows support is fair....
>
>I have been trying to deal with dell over the last 10 months and got no
>where.
>
>I didnt think Dell had any RH capability in NZ or AP at least from the
>way they were going on, and guess what they just admitted it.

I didn't think dell had anyone in NZ either. Has this changed from a year or
three ago ?
IME, any "service" I have had from australia has been .. well ... lacking
would be the polite version

>>>I have Dell gold support so was expecting Dell to escalate it to redhat
>>>if they could not fix it themselves, Dell tell me they dont have the
>>>capability even though they have taken the $s for 12+months.
>>>So Im really p*ssed with them.........

>> Sounds like great marketing ... and (perhaps) a poor intiial purchasing
>> decision ?

>Was not mine to make, and Oracle 9i raq was only certified on RH, and
>Novel didnt onw Suse at the time.

>>>I am now looking at renewing the licences with rh direct.

>> Let us know how they are to deal with ... could be interesting

>So far RH have been very good.

Thanks

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

thing2

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>>Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
>>>That said ...

>>>Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
>>>supplier ?

>>Dell supplied the RHAS3 OS with the server. We buy it like that to get a
>>one stop call up shop, at least that was the theory and what we were told.

> .. but this would not have been so for windows either would it ? .. or are
> you suggesting it would ? If so, why would you think that ? Have you dealt
> with dell before or is this the first time ? - they might just "be like
> this" ... I have heard stories

Dell have windows people, our windows support is fair....

I have been trying to deal with dell over the last 10 months and got no
where.

I didnt think Dell had any RH capability in NZ or AP at least from the
way they were going on, and guess what they just admitted it.

>>I have Dell gold support so was expecting Dell to escalate it to redhat
>>if they could not fix it themselves, Dell tell me they dont have the
>>capability even though they have taken the $s for 12+months.
>>So Im really p*ssed with them.........

> Sounds like great marketing ... and (perhaps) a poor intiial purchasing
> decision ?

Was not mine to make, and Oracle 9i raq was only certified on RH, and
Novel didnt onw Suse at the time.

>>I am now looking at renewing the licences with rh direct.

> Let us know how they are to deal with ... could be interesting
>

> Bruce

So far RH have been very good.

regards

Thing

Rob J

In article <aL1ue.9273$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Tue, 21
Jun 2005 22:52:38 GMT, Bruce Sinclair
<(E-Mail Removed) > says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >forget it.
> >
> >Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

> Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
> That said ...
>
> >I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
> >thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
> >them knock me back each time I need support.
> >
> >This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

> Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
> supplier ?

Don't you know anything about OEM licensing?

thing

Bruce Sinclair wrote:

8><------

..

>>I didnt think Dell had any RH capability in NZ or AP at least from the
>>way they were going on, and guess what they just admitted it.

> I didn't think dell had anyone in NZ either. Has this changed from a year or
> three ago ?
> IME, any "service" I have had from australia has been .. well ... lacking
> would be the polite version

In Wellington at least Dell use Unisys, the Unisys guys have been really
good for hardware, Dell would be down there with HP/Compaq otherwise.

While we get screwed for support costs by Sun they are the definate
market leader in support (when you incl hardware and software), no one
else comes close. RH do seem to have the same attitude....time will tell.

We are looking at maybe moving to IBM hardware 2006/7 though whether
that will be any better than Dell remains to be seen, I suspect not from
what I have heard.

regards

Thing

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <aL1ue.9273$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Tue, 21
>Jun 2005 22:52:38 GMT, Bruce Sinclair
><(E-Mail Removed) z> says...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:
>> >forget it.
>> >
>> >Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

>> Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
>> That said ...
>>
>> >I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
>> >thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
>> >them knock me back each time I need support.
>> >
>> >This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

>> Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
>> supplier ?

>Don't you know anything about OEM licensing?

Sure ... I know they say they support it ... but IME they hope that they
will never need to

Many vendors (most ?) simply lack the skills or the will.
TO be fair, my view is very coloured by early microsoft support ... or what
passed for it back then (the tech guys didn't have email addresses ! ).

Bruce

- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)