Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > When not use use drivers offered by Windows Update.

When not use use drivers offered by Windows Update.

Max Burke

AD. scribbled:

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:33:00 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
>
>> NEVER, EVER download/install drivers from the Windows Update site.
>>
>> They usually way ou of date, and [apparently] are not for general
>> release. The fact that they're on the update site at all is often
>> discussed in Microsoft groups, with the subject most often being why
>> are they there when they invariably F**k up any computer they're
>> installed on.
>>
>> Always get drivers from the the original source.....

> Do you think MS should document that on the site?

That question is often asked in the WU support news group.

Found Images

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <gIIte.8866$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "AD."
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:33:00 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
>>
>>> NEVER, EVER download/install drivers from the Windows Update site.
>>>
>>> They usually way ou of date, and [apparently] are not for general release.
>>> The fact that they're on the update site at all is often discussed in
>>> Microsoft groups, with the subject most often being why are they there
>>> when they invariably F**k up any computer they're installed on.
>>>
>>> Always get drivers from the the original source.....

>>Do you think MS should document that on the site?

>The real question seems to be ... why do they offer them if they know (or
>suspect) either that they are flawed or not the best solution ?
>Either way, this does not appear clever to me.

I guess it's all about Freedom to Choose. It's like being free to own a
gun: you can choose to point it at your foot and blow it away, or
not--it's up to you. Think of Windows Update as the gun, and your PC as
your foot.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave Taylor wrote:
> thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>So,
>>
>>Never me thinks use a driver off windows update and always use the
>>motherboard manufacturers driver....generics are not good...
>>
>>doh.......
>>

> I remember the Intel chipset fiasco they had... IDE drivers turned to
> exclamation points, at least my mother in-laws system still worked, just
> slower.
> MS makes keyboards, mice and Xboxes; I am sure they make other stuff too,
> but I get my drivers for the manufacturer of the device. You will find
> this is a common problem, winmodem drivers are a common one, and the worst
> part is that you can't dial back in to get the fix, bummer.

It doesnt remove the old drivers, so changing them back is easy enough,
but you still have to know how to do that.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.