Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hard Drive

Hard Drive

Squirrel

Please can you tell me where to look to find out how many gig hard
drive I have, reason being, young techy friend has offered me a 20g
hard drive and I have no idea if that is what I already have or not.
Please no responses from arrogant persons who think this is a silly
question.

Cheers

Squirrel

I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy

BTMO

"Squirrel" <> wrote

> Please can you tell me where to look to find out how many gig hard
> drive I have, reason being, young techy friend has offered me a 20g
> hard drive and I have no idea if that is what I already have or not.
> Please no responses from arrogant persons who think this is a silly
> question.

-my computer- right click on the icon for your c: drive, select
properties...

Craig Sutton

"Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please can you tell me where to look to find out how many gig hard
> drive I have, reason being, young techy friend has offered me a 20g
> hard drive and I have no idea if that is what I already have or not.
> Please no responses from arrogant persons who think this is a silly
> question.

Hey most machines can have several!

BTMO

"Craig Sutton" <> wrote

> Hey most machines can have several!

I hope so - I want to put a second one in this machine next week...

GraB

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:56:58 +1200, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Squirrel" <> wrote
>
>> Please can you tell me where to look to find out how many gig hard
>> drive I have, reason being, young techy friend has offered me a 20g
>> hard drive and I have no idea if that is what I already have or not.
>> Please no responses from arrogant persons who think this is a silly
>> question.

>-my computer- right click on the icon for your c: drive, select
>properties...

Off course, if you have more than one partition you have to total
those too. Or you could watch when it boots up where you will see the
drive info there.

Brendan

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:41:47 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

> Please can you tell me where to look to find out how many gig hard
> drive I have, reason being, young techy friend has offered me a 20g
> hard drive and I have no idea if that is what I already have or not.

In Win XP:

1. Go to start button, left click 'my computer'. Select 'details' as the
view option with the icon along the top.

2. Under the 'hard disk drives' heading, select the c: drive. RIGHT click
on it, select 'properties'.

3. The first tab tells you the stats for THIS partition. Left click the
'hardware' tab.

4. You are presented with a list. Select the first "disk drive", then left
click 'properties' button below.

4.1. A new window appears. Left click the 'volumes' tab, then left click
'populate'.

4.2. You are presented with a list of facts, from top to bottom. The one
you want is the FIRST one labeled "capacity". This is the total capacity
of the hard drive; below it is the capacity of each PARTITION on that hard
drive. Divide by 1024 to get the size in gigabytes.

4.3. Clock 'ok' and you are back to the list at 4 above.

5. Do the same with each "disk drive" in turn. Ignore dvd, cd-r, floppy,
etc. Note the sizes of each as per 4.2. You are doing that to ensure you do
not mistake a partition as a seperate physical drive, and to see if you
have multiple physical drives. Two drives with the same capacity (4.2) are
likely to be the same actual drive - more likely than YOU actually having
two identical physical drives...

Notes:
a. You can have more than one drive installed in your computer. What you
have AND the 20gb one.

b. A Partition is an arbitary software division of a phsyical hard drive of
use to segregate files for various purposes as you might have different
drawers in your filing cabinet.

c. Ensure your computer will recognise the 20gb drive, some BIOSes might
not. with 20gb you should be ok though.

d. You will need help setting the drive up in your computer.

e. If you are not running windows XP, the proceedure is different. You
might try noting the numbers the appear when you first start the computer -
the BIOS POST screen. Pause it with the 'pause' button on your keyboard.
Space/enter continues it. The POST screen will list each drive - inc.
cdroms - and sometimes their capacity. Sometimes this is shown on the NEXT
screen tho. You will need to be quick as it flashes past. Some computers do
not display this info. In that case you may need to download a program like
'sisoft sandra', which will tell you all this info and a lot more.

> Please no responses from arrogant persons who think this is a silly
> question.

Woger is too busy for that at the moment

--

.... Brendan

6460 +(451- [X]

<studdud> what the **** is wtf

Note: All my comments are copyright 20/06/2005 3:43:09 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Squirrel

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:56:58 +1200, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Squirrel" <> wrote
>
>> Please can you tell me where to look to find out how many gig hard
>> drive I have, reason being, young techy friend has offered me a 20g
>> hard drive and I have no idea if that is what I already have or not.
>> Please no responses from arrogant persons who think this is a silly
>> question.

>-my computer- right click on the icon for your c: drive, select
>properties...

Ta, I was at least in the right area

Squirrel

I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy

Squirrel

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 04:14:18 +1200, Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:41:47 +1200, Squirrel wrote:
>
>> Please can you tell me where to look to find out how many gig hard
>> drive I have, reason being, young techy friend has offered me a 20g
>> hard drive and I have no idea if that is what I already have or not.

>In Win XP:
>
>1. Go to start button, left click 'my computer'. Select 'details' as the
>view option with the icon along the top.
>
>2. Under the 'hard disk drives' heading, select the c: drive. RIGHT click
>on it, select 'properties'.

Thanx for that, most informative

Squirrel

I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy