Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mightgrowsoft Discovers "User Account Protection"

Mightgrowsoft Discovers "User Account Protection"

Lawrence DčOliveiro

Stop the presses! Another revolutionary new feature in Internet Explorer
7 will be called "Low Rights IE"
<http://news.com.com/IE7+being+develo...2100-7355_3-57
45044.html>. What it means is that IE will no longer automatically run
with administrator privileges. Instead, what it can do will be limited
to the rights of a non-privileged current user.

Wow! Marvellous! Except... hasn't it been long-standing practice on
Unix/Linux systems to run most desktop programs (including Web browsers)
without special privileges? And here Microsoft has come up with it ...
like it's a new idea!

I think it's becoming clear that Microsoft is steadily losing claim to
being the innovator in the desktop software arena. With this and the
adoption of tabbed browsing (already available for some time in apps
like Firefox) for example, it is becoming less of a leader, and more of
a follower.

Oh--and another thing: this feature of being able to run things without
administrator privileges will only be available under
Longhorn/Shorthorn/Nohorn. Not under XP. Obviously the protection model
in XP is deficient in some regard, which doesn't allow useful things to
be done without resorting to full administrator privileges.

Peter

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> I think it's becoming clear that Microsoft is steadily losing claim to
> being the innovator in the desktop software arena. With this and the
> adoption of tabbed browsing (already available for some time in apps
> like Firefox) for example, it is becoming less of a leader, and more of
> a follower.

No, you are wrong - MS has always been more of a follower than a leader.
http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

The sad thing is that most users will probably believe lies about MS
"inventing" stuff like tabbed browsing.

Peter

Porky

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:13:39 +1200, Rob J wrote:

>> No, you are wrong - MS has always been more of a follower than a leader.
>> http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

> Another hate MS site. A totally objective unbiased source...yeah right!

The problem is this guy see`s his own view point as rational and objective
..,..just lik bling blong ...

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun,
19 Jun 2005 21:38:50 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro <ldo@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> says...
> Stop the presses! Another revolutionary new feature in Internet Explorer
> 7 will be called "Low Rights IE"
> <http://news.com.com/IE7+being+develo...2100-7355_3-57
> 45044.html>. What it means is that IE will no longer automatically run
> with administrator privileges. Instead, what it can do will be limited
> to the rights of a non-privileged current user.
>
> Wow! Marvellous! Except... hasn't it been long-standing practice on
> Unix/Linux systems to run most desktop programs (including Web browsers)
> without special privileges? And here Microsoft has come up with it ...
> like it's a new idea!
>
> I think it's becoming clear that Microsoft is steadily losing claim to
> being the innovator in the desktop software arena. With this and the
> adoption of tabbed browsing (already available for some time in apps
> like Firefox) for example, it is becoming less of a leader, and more of
> a follower.
>
> Oh--and another thing: this feature of being able to run things without
> administrator privileges will only be available under
> Longhorn/Shorthorn/Nohorn. Not under XP. Obviously the protection model
> in XP is deficient in some regard, which doesn't allow useful things to
> be done without resorting to full administrator privileges.

Are you having some kind of competition with David Murray to see who can
be the most stupid obnoxious and ignorant troll in this group.

Tabbed browsing is a personal preference. In no way can it be called an
innovation.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun, 19 Jun 2005
22:45:12 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> > I think it's becoming clear that Microsoft is steadily losing claim to
> > being the innovator in the desktop software arena. With this and the
> > adoption of tabbed browsing (already available for some time in apps
> > like Firefox) for example, it is becoming less of a leader, and more of
> > a follower.

> No, you are wrong - MS has always been more of a follower than a leader.
> http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

Another hate MS site. A totally objective unbiased source...yeah right!

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun, 19 Jun 2005
22:45:12 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> > I think it's becoming clear that Microsoft is steadily losing claim to
> > being the innovator in the desktop software arena. With this and the
> > adoption of tabbed browsing (already available for some time in apps
> > like Firefox) for example, it is becoming less of a leader, and more of
> > a follower.

> No, you are wrong - MS has always been more of a follower than a leader.
> http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

If you believe that you'll believe anything.

Just had a look at that site and it is full of errors - maybe even lies,
depending on POV.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
I wrote:

>I think it's becoming clear that Microsoft is steadily losing claim to
>being the innovator in the desktop software arena. With this and the
>adoption of tabbed browsing (already available for some time in apps
>like Firefox) for example...

Forgot to mention RSS. Firefox's "Live Bookmarks" are becoming very
useful.

Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun,
>19 Jun 2005 21:38:50 +1200, Lawrence D1Oliveiro <ldo@geek-
>central.gen.new zealand> says...
>> Stop the presses! Another revolutionary new feature in Internet Explorer
>> 7 will be called "Low Rights IE"
>> <http://news.com.com/IE7+being+develo...ware/2100-7355 3-57
>> 45044.html>. What it means is that IE will no longer automatically run
>> with administrator privileges. Instead, what it can do will be limited
>> to the rights of a non-privileged current user.
>>
>> Wow! Marvellous! Except... hasn't it been long-standing practice on
>> Unix/Linux systems to run most desktop programs (including Web browsers)
>> without special privileges? And here Microsoft has come up with it ...
>> like it's a new idea!
>>
>> I think it's becoming clear that Microsoft is steadily losing claim to
>> being the innovator in the desktop software arena. With this and the
>> adoption of tabbed browsing (already available for some time in apps
>> like Firefox) for example, it is becoming less of a leader, and more of
>> a follower.
>>
>> Oh--and another thing: this feature of being able to run things without
>> administrator privileges will only be available under
>> Longhorn/Shorthorn/Nohorn. Not under XP. Obviously the protection model
>> in XP is deficient in some regard, which doesn't allow useful things to
>> be done without resorting to full administrator privileges.

>Are you [trying] to see who can
>be the most stupid obnoxious and ignorant troll in this group.

Why am I obnoxious? It's not as though I tend to call people names like
"stupid" or "ignorant", "idiot" or "****wit". I'm not one for comparing
the quality of people's postings to different varieties of bovine
excrement. I don't even suggest that they're secretly in the pay of
various sinister organizations involved in global conspiracies.

All I do is point out facts, and insist on pointing them out even when
others try to distract attention from the real issue, by using tactics
such as laying down a smokescreen of abuse.

Come to think of it, that could very well be irritating to some people.
Namely, those on the losing side of the argument.

>Tabbed browsing is a personal preference. In no way can it be called an
>innovation.

That _is_ the sort of thing you would say if you weren't the first to
invent it, isn't it?

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
I wrote:

>I think it's becoming clear that Microsoft is steadily losing claim to
>being the innovator in the desktop software arena.

Another example of this is
<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+looks+...0-1012_3-57465
49.html>. It's ironic that Microsoft is trying to combat LAMP by
introducing ever-tighter integration in its own tools, whereas the very
strength of LAMP is that the parts were never specifically designed to
be integrated, they just came together that way because of their common
adherence to open standards
<http://news.com.com/Open-source+LAMP...s/2100-7344_3-
5744767.html>. That's a philosophy that is totally alien to Microsoft.

Gordon

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:12:17 +1200, Rob J wrote:

> Tabbed browsing is a personal preference. In no way can it be called an
> innovation.

We all see things in different ways. It appears you might be in a small
group of like minded people.