Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > GRRR! sky decoder software

GRRR! sky decoder software

KeeWee

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:44:24 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>jedmeister wrote:
>
>>>Wundrin if you're having the same issues as we are here. The box rebooted
>>>at
>>>least three times yesterday.
>>>

>> Mine crashes occasionally, and the audio / video gets out of synch too. Sky
>> says just to switch on/off to fix the prob.

>Thats great when the thing takes over 2 and a half minuites to boot up eh.
>
>Mums one keep having the background behind the guide mess up and be replaced
>with a flickering pink and blue mess, and it still misses keypresses from the
>remote unless you wait between every button press - thankfully no sync issues
>and it rebooting is quite rare.
>
>What really ****es me off is how slow it is, and the interactive features are a
>joke, to get the weather its quicker to go into the next room, turn the computer
>screen on and go to the xtra webpage and click weather and walk back.

The who Sky Digital decoder issue is a joke - there's not a day that
goes by when ours doesn't reboot itself.

Also, if you like the Aussie news service on 54, change to 55 then
channel down to 54. Changing directly to 54 causes the box to seems to
freeze up, slow down any remote control actions but unfreezes after
about a minute.

Also ever tried recording an R18 movie that's on during daytime work
hours (8am - 6pm)?
You can program the guide to change the channel, but you still need to
enter your PIN! Apparently a Broadcasting Standards Authority thing
that R18 can't be shown during these times.

AAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhh!

ChrisOD

In article <42b6028d$(E-Mail Removed)>, Evil Bastard wrote:
> Mark C wrote:
>>>who the hell wrote the software for the Sky set-top decoder
>>>boxes?

>> It's a modified version of OpenTV, IIRC.

>> http://www.opentv.com/
>> http://www.aardvark.co.nz/daily/2001/1217.shtml

> Anyone got the hardware specs on the decoder boxes?
> Any OS/API details?
> Any doco on the format of Sky feeds?
>
> Any (God forbid) SDKs available?
>
> Anyone tried compiling/installing an embedded Linux on the thing?

IIRC the boxes mostly use a STmicro chip at about 70MIPS.
2Mb Flash for OS/Middleware/CA-hooks/Resident app
and 2Mn RAM.

OS is (I think Vx-Works) and middleware is of course OpenTV

Don't know if any of the linux STBs support NDS-CA and OpenTV

But then again it is probably only essential to support NDS-CA
Then with your card you could still watch all AV.
But without OpenTV support you could not do interactive.

Chris

Richard

ChrisOD wrote:

> IIRC the boxes mostly use a STmicro chip at about 70MIPS.
> 2Mb Flash for OS/Middleware/CA-hooks/Resident app
> and 2Mn RAM.
>
> OS is (I think Vx-Works) and middleware is of course OpenTV
>
> Don't know if any of the linux STBs support NDS-CA and OpenTV
>
> But then again it is probably only essential to support NDS-CA
> Then with your card you could still watch all AV.
> But without OpenTV support you could not do interactive.

When I am a bit wealthier I will get a PCI DVB-S card with a CA slot and the CAM
that does NDS and see what it does, might be a usefull way to get a passable
quality mpeg2 pvr

ChrisOD

In article <42b90312$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
> ChrisOD wrote:
>
>> IIRC the boxes mostly use a STmicro chip at about 70MIPS.
>> 2Mb Flash for OS/Middleware/CA-hooks/Resident app
>> and 2Mn RAM.
>>
>> OS is (I think Vx-Works) and middleware is of course OpenTV
>>
>> Don't know if any of the linux STBs support NDS-CA and OpenTV
>>
>> But then again it is probably only essential to support NDS-CA
>> Then with your card you could still watch all AV.
>> But without OpenTV support you could not do interactive.

> When I am a bit wealthier I will get a PCI DVB-S card with a CA slot and the CAM
> that does NDS and see what it does, might be a usefull way to get a passable
> quality mpeg2 pvr

Yeah I've been reading a bit about the dragon CAM and some people seem to have
mixed results in the UK. Don't know anyone playing with it here in NZ.

I think it really matters what levels of CI are supported in the DVB-S card.

Chris

Richard

ChrisOD wrote:

> Yeah I've been reading a bit about the dragon CAM and some people seem to have
> mixed results in the UK. Don't know anyone playing with it here in NZ.
>
> I think it really matters what levels of CI are supported in the DVB-S card.

I think one edition of the sky UK pvr had a CA card in it, if true was prob
modified to only work with that box however.