Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Seems that I have been Right all along..

Seems that I have been Right all along..

Tony

Lunix for Looser.

http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf..._0616theo.html

Turns out its utter CRAP..

Lunix that is..

As they say, you do not have to smell **** to know that its ****..

JC

Tony wrote:

> Lunix for Looser.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf...16/linux-bsd-u
> nix-cz_dl_0616theo.html
>

> Turns out its utter CRAP..
>

> Lunix that is..
>

> As they say, you do not have to smell **** to know that its ****..

Well of course he is going to say that, as he is the maker of OpenBSD.
I have never tried OpenBSD but have tried various distros of Linux and
although it isn't really ready for mainstream users, it still remains a
great OS.

Maybe you should try it Roger.

Matthew Poole

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:40:05 +1200, someone purporting to be Tony didst
scrawl:

> Lunix for Looser.

That'd be Losers, Woger. You can't even copy from something that's typed
in front of you?

> Turns out its utter CRAP..
>

> Lunix that is..

Where did Theo say that? It was a QUESTION, not a statement.
Also, Theo is an abrasive arse. A lot like you, but at least he's
demonstrably intelligent and also responsible for a quality contribution
to global computing. More than can be said for you.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

shannon

Tony wrote:

> http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf..._0616theo.html

If you accept that from Theo de Raadt then you will have to accept this

http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...9;fp;16;fpid;0

Do you think Microsoft is learning from the open source community?

Unfortunately Microsoft security problems have nothing to do with Unix
security problems. Microsoftís security problems have to do with its Web
client which probably has 300 to 500 vulnerabilities in it which a
firewall will never block as they are all in http, all inside a TCP
session and a packet filter does not help you. And when you get to some
of the more obscure things like the way it does ActiveX and the way it
does cookie handling and the way it does zones. These things are a
continual trap for the company and all the security knowledge that is
protecting us in the Unix world is useless for it. It is still going to
be providing everyone with crap code, so if youíre going to keep on
providing crap, then the protection technology is going to be their only
saving grace, the only thing that is going to help. Thatís what I think
it has to do but I donít think it is really paying attention. For
example, its entire NX effort, the reliance on AMD64 PAE NX, is a
mockery of what is possible because it is only protecting some parts of
the address space so buffer overflows are still possible.

Shane

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:40:05 +1200, Tony wrote:

> Lunix for Looser.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf..._0616theo.html
>

> Turns out its utter CRAP..
>

> Lunix that is..
>

> As they say, you do not have to smell **** to know that its ****..

so you're saying you're a *BSD man then?

thing

Tony wrote:

> Lunix for Looser.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf..._0616theo.html
>

> Turns out its utter CRAP..
>

> Lunix that is..
>

> As they say, you do not have to smell **** to know that its ****..

Woger you are a **** wit.

This is a BSD bigot claiming Linux is rubbish.......no difference from a
Windows bigot like you claiming Linux is worthless.....

No I might quantify that, BSD bigots are about the worst of the entire
lot....and throw in sour grapes as Linux took off and BSD didnt....

Troll.......

Your dumb opinion is worthless tripe, just because you do not have the
capabilty to understand and use Linux does not mean others dont, because
we do.

regards

Thing

shannon

Shane wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:40:05 +1200, Tony wrote:
>

>>Lunix for Looser.
>>
>>http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf..._0616theo.html
>>

>>Turns out its utter CRAP..
>>

>>Lunix that is..
>>

>>As they say, you do not have to smell **** to know that its ****..

> so you're saying you're a *BSD man then?

He's saying that when his bed feels wet and squidgy he doesn't have to
sniff it before he calls the nurse

Matthew Poole

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:48:27 +1200, someone purporting to be thing didst
scrawl:

> Tony wrote:

*SNIP*
> No I might quantify that, BSD bigots are about the worst of the entire
> lot....and throw in sour grapes as Linux took off and BSD didnt....

*SNIP*

It's entirely unhelpful when the chief Linux bigot weighs in that Linux is
"much better" than the BSDs in almost the same breath that he admits that
he knows nearly nothing about the BSDs.
At least the BSD bigots usually use both, so they know what they're
talking about as they throw their grapes.

--

shannon wrote:
> Tony wrote:
>

>> http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf..._0616theo.html
>>

> If you accept that from Theo de Raadt then you will have to accept this
>
> http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...9;fp;16;fpid;0
>

> Do you think Microsoft is learning from the open source community?

Hard to tell, strategically possibly, down at code level no. I think MS
have their MS way and thats it, so probably no they dont understand so
they cant learn.

> Unfortunately Microsoft security problems have nothing to do with Unix
> security problems. Microsoftís security problems have to do with its Web
> client which probably has 300 to 500 vulnerabilities in it which a
> firewall will never block as they are all in http, all inside a TCP
> session and a packet filter does not help you. And when you get to some
> of the more obscure things like the way it does ActiveX and the way it
> does cookie handling and the way it does zones. These things are a
> continual trap for the company and all the security knowledge that is
> protecting us in the Unix world is useless for it. It is still going to
> be providing everyone with crap code, so if youíre going to keep on
> providing crap, then the protection technology is going to be their only
> saving grace, the only thing that is going to help. Thatís what I think
> it has to do but I donít think it is really paying attention. For
> example, its entire NX effort, the reliance on AMD64 PAE NX, is a
> mockery of what is possible because it is only protecting some parts of
> the address space so buffer overflows are still possible.

Then add in MS's perchant for tunneling other protocols over http and
you have an even bigger nightmare. Then add in MS software usually uses
random ports spread over a huge range and before you know it you have
dumb users demanding you open up significant parts of the firewall
exposing the network to buggy and insecure programs.....

MS really has a lot to answer for, but I think there are now enough
people/CIOs with a strategic and security insight to realise that MS has
left them a nightmare that is almost un-fixable.

regards

Thing

wogers nemesis

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:40:05 +1200, Tony wrote:

> Lunix for Looser.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf..._0616theo.html
>

> Turns out its utter CRAP..
>

> Lunix that is..
>

> As they say, you do not have to smell **** to know that its ****..

You've convinced me entirely. I will be giving a presentation "Linux is
crap as Wodger says so" at my next LUG meeting. Thanks for the link.