Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Seems that I have been Right all along..

Seems that I have been Right all along..

Steve

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:40:05 +1200, Tony wrote:

> Lunix for Looser.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf..._0616theo.html
>

> Turns out its utter CRAP..
>

> Lunix that is..
>

> As they say, you do not have to smell **** to know that its ****..

Shame they missed out on the licensing issues that are the core difference
between Linux and BSD. But then, who's interested in that?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Matthew Poole wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:42:05 +1000, someone purporting to be Chris
> Wilkinson didst scrawl:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>Matthew Poole wrote:

> *SNIP*
>
>>and many bugs fixed. It seems that security and bugs are the primary
>>focus of Windows updates, and some may not consider that reason to
>>call those updates 'upgrades'...

> XP-SP2 is considered an entirely new version of Windows. Usually a
> Service Pack is considered an upgrade, since it often adds new
> functionality by modifying the base system. I don't call every hotfix
> that comes out (which would be several each month) an upgrade or a new
> version, but MS themselves promote the idea that an SP is a full new
> version.
> But, even if we don't call them new versions, in the last three years
> we've had XP; 2K3, plus 2K3 Data Centre; and XP-64. There's also 2K3 R2
> currently in beta, and that's a new version again - R2 being, of course,
> short for Release 2. By my count, that's four, with R2 making five by the
> end of the year. 2K3-DC is a separate version because it was released
> independently of the release of the other 2K3 family members.

Yes thats four (or five) spanning 2 or 3 separate versions of
Windows. I was refering to 4 upgrades to Mandrake Linux download
edition alone. Its easy to see that both camps provide updates
at fairly regular intervals. Going back to your statement 2 or 3
posts earlier you said Mandrake updates were "positively lethargic",
but really do you think thats a fair comment based on the fact that
you were basing the number of updates in Windows on a complete span
of the different OS's MS sell, and that I was refering to just one
OS that Mandrake release?

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

shannon

Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:40:05 +1200, Tony wrote:
>

>>Lunix for Looser.
>>
>>http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf..._0616theo.html
>>

>>Turns out its utter CRAP..
>>

>>Lunix that is..
>>

>>As they say, you do not have to smell **** to know that its ****..

> Shame they missed out on the licensing issues that are the core difference
> between Linux and BSD. But then, who's interested in that?

Certainly not the naive linux users who use distros full of non GPL type
licensed software like the X Window System, Mozilla, Firefox, OpenSSH
and Apache.

AD.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:29:14 +1200, Tony wrote:

>>All the things that make OpenBSD better quality code than Linux are all
>>the things that would probably make you hate it even more than you hate
>>Linux.

> I posted it as a Windup for all the Lunix Nerds here, seems that they
> bite easily so their must be some thing in what I say is true, as they
> go on a Rampage trying to defend it..

But OpenBSD is everything you supposed don't like about Linux. eg command
line oriented, lots of compiling, less hardware support etc etc. In fact
OpenBSD makes Linux look like Windows, and that was even part of the
interview.

Seems a strange comparison for you to bring up. It's like you were saying
"See look everyone, I've found proof that Linux is just as crap as the
stuff I use!".

> Good things do not need defending no matter what it is..

Like freedom for instance? Or your rights? Or privacy?

Or are they not good things?

--
Cheers
Anton

Matthew Poole

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:38:03 +1000, someone purporting to be Chris
Wilkinson didst scrawl:

> Hi there,
>
> Matthew Poole wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:42:05 +1000, someone purporting to be Chris
>> Wilkinson didst scrawl:

*SNIP*
> Yes thats four (or five) spanning 2 or 3 separate versions of
> Windows. I was refering to 4 upgrades to Mandrake Linux download
> edition alone. Its easy to see that both camps provide updates
> at fairly regular intervals. Going back to your statement 2 or 3
> posts earlier you said Mandrake updates were "positively lethargic",
> but really do you think thats a fair comment based on the fact that
> you were basing the number of updates in Windows on a complete span
> of the different OS's MS sell, and that I was refering to just one
> OS that Mandrake release?

So they're releasing at about the same rate, if that's the case. Four
versions of XP (XP, SP1, SP2, XP64) and four versions of Mandrake/Mandriva.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Mercury

> XP-SP2 is considered an entirely new version of Windows.

huh?

No one I know would consider that true at all. From a consumer and
programming perspective, a SP fixes bugs - thats what it is for. SP's are
not for adding or changing functionality.

SP2 does add new features so breaks the SP "rule" of not adding features,
but we all know why this happened.

Perhaps HDO's might think that way.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Max Burke wrote:
>> Chris Wilkinson scribbled: I've used Linux for 3 years,
>> starting with Mandrake 9.0, then 9.1, then 9.2, then 10.0, and now
>> I'm using SuSE 9.2...how many upgrades to Windows have been released
>> in the last 3 to 4 years?

> Certianly not as many as you've had/wanted/needed to upgrade to...
> Why so many for Mandrake????????
> Things missing? Bugs? Code being optimised??

Usually its a case of someone at a LUG meeting having the new
distro on disc, and me wanting something specific, like when
Gimp 2.0 came out...a distro upgrade from CD on a new machine is
like a 15 minute job, so why not?

When I arrived here in Brisbane earlier this year, and got our
Athlon64, I decided to try SuSE because it was on a mag DVD...
it has run nearly flawlessly. I don't intend upgrading simply
for that reason, and all I've done with SuSE is add a few apps
that weren't included on the install DVD (for legal reasons),
and upgrade KDE from 3.3 to 3.4 (a 15 minute job on 1.5 Mbps
ADSL). Oh, and get a native 64-bit POV-ray...
--

Matthew Poole wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:38:03 +1000, someone purporting to be Chris
> Wilkinson didst scrawl:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>Matthew Poole wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:42:05 +1000, someone purporting to be Chris
>>>Wilkinson didst scrawl:

> *SNIP*
>
>>Yes thats four (or five) spanning 2 or 3 separate versions of
>>Windows. I was refering to 4 upgrades to Mandrake Linux download
>>edition alone. Its easy to see that both camps provide updates
>>at fairly regular intervals. Going back to your statement 2 or 3
>>posts earlier you said Mandrake updates were "positively lethargic",
>>but really do you think thats a fair comment based on the fact that
>>you were basing the number of updates in Windows on a complete span
>>of the different OS's MS sell, and that I was refering to just one
>>OS that Mandrake release?

> So they're releasing at about the same rate, if that's the case. Four
> versions of XP (XP, SP1, SP2, XP64) and four versions of Mandrake/Mandriva.

Mandrakes complete range is 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 2005LE,
cooker, and Move...all of which have an i586 and x86_64 tree, plus
the 'community' and 'official' releases of 10.0 and 10.1 (10.2 I think
is 'community' only so far)...

This could go on, but lets call it even...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <42b670f8$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Chris Wilkinson scribbled:
>> I've used Linux for 3 years,
>> starting with Mandrake 9.0, then 9.1, then 9.2, then 10.0, and now
>> I'm using SuSE 9.2...how many upgrades to Windows have been released
>> in the last 3 to 4 years?

>Certianly not as many as you've had/wanted/needed to upgrade to...
>Why so many for Mandrake????????
>Things missing? Bugs? Code being optimised???

Improvements ?

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

Chris Hope

Chris Wilkinson wrote:

[snip]

>>>Yes thats four (or five) spanning 2 or 3 separate versions of
>>>Windows. I was refering to 4 upgrades to Mandrake Linux download
>>>edition alone. Its easy to see that both camps provide updates
>>>at fairly regular intervals. Going back to your statement 2 or 3
>>>posts earlier you said Mandrake updates were "positively lethargic",
>>>but really do you think thats a fair comment based on the fact that
>>>you were basing the number of updates in Windows on a complete span
>>>of the different OS's MS sell, and that I was refering to just one
>>>OS that Mandrake release?

>> So they're releasing at about the same rate, if that's the case.
>> Four versions of XP (XP, SP1, SP2, XP64) and four versions of
>> Mandrake/Mandriva.

> Mandrakes complete range is 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 2005LE,
> cooker, and Move...all of which have an i586 and x86_64 tree, plus
> the 'community' and 'official' releases of 10.0 and 10.1 (10.2 I think
> is 'community' only so far)...
>
> This could go on, but lets call it even...

There's PPC versions for most of those too