Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Win98 onto new PC

Win98 onto new PC

Marek

Hi,

I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?
I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
and WinME goes blank and that's all.

Ideas?

Thanks

Mr Scebe

"Marek" <.@.> wrote in message news:8Kvse.8097$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies...
> can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
> games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new
> hardware?
> I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
> and WinME goes blank and that's all.
>
> Ideas?

You need a textmode driver for the SATA drive, i would imagine (when you
install XP you get a prompt to select F6 to install the driver). Why don't
you just install XP, then run any apps/games in compatibility mode?

--
Mr Scebe
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

Tony

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:20:03 +1200, "Marek" <.@.> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
>can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
>games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?
>I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
>and WinME goes blank and that's all.
>
>Ideas?
>
>Thanks

Yes very true, 98 no longer supported even with my system XP Home SP2 works
OK, but 98SE crashes all the time.

Roger_Nickel

Marek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
> can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
> games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?
> I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
> and WinME goes blank and that's all.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks

Run the games under DOSbox, not what you want to hear but....

Marek

Will comat mode or Dos Box work? like is it a hit and miss affair - or is it
a reliable solution? any performance impact?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:21:16 +1200, Roger_Nickel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Marek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
>> can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
>> games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?
>> I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
>> and WinME goes blank and that's all.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>Run the games under DOSbox, not what you want to hear but....

98 must go on first then XP..

Check with the MoBo makers if 98 is supported..

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <8Kvse.8097$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Marek" <.@.>
wrote:

>I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
>can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
>games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?

Do you really think, when Microsoft brought out those operating systems
in 1998 and 2000, that it was able to foresee what new kinds of hardware
would become available in 2005?

Marek

thanks heaps for your input - you've really contributed alot to this
discussion.

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <8Kvse.8097$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Marek" <.@.>
> wrote:
>
> >I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of

goodies... I
> >can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
> >games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new

hardware?

> Do you really think, when Microsoft brought out those operating systems
> in 1998 and 2000, that it was able to foresee what new kinds of hardware
> would become available in 2005?

Rob J

In article <8Kvse.8097$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
Jun 2005 20:20:03 +1200, Marek <.@.> says...
> Hi,
>
> I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
> can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
> games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?
> I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
> and WinME goes blank and that's all.

Dual booting is not supported on 98, I assume you are using some separate
boot manager, not Windows.

Marek

it's not really an issue given 98 won't run after install - but thanks for
helping?

according to MS dual booting XP and 98 is fine - you just have to install
the latest OS last.

Feel free to learn all about dual booting windows xp with dos, win 95,
win98, win ME on their website here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p.mspx?pf=true

news:(E-Mail Removed) z...