Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Win98 onto new PC

Win98 onto new PC

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <F%xse.8137$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Marek" <.@.>
wrote:

>thanks heaps for your input - you've really contributed alot to this
>discussion.
>

>"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <8Kvse.8097$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Marek" <.@.>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of

>goodies... I
>> >can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
>> >games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new

>hardware?
>>
>> Do you really think, when Microsoft brought out those operating systems
>> in 1998 and 2000, that it was able to foresee what new kinds of hardware
>> would become available in 2005?

Don't top-post.

Roger_Nickel

Marek wrote:
> Will comat mode or Dos Box work? like is it a hit and miss affair - or is it
> a reliable solution? any performance impact?
>

> "Roger_Nickel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Marek wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of

> goodies... I
>
>>>can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for

> old
>
>>>games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new

> hardware?
>
>>>I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on

> startup,
>
>>>and WinME goes blank and that's all.
>>>
>>>Ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>Run the games under DOSbox, not what you want to hear but....

The extended memory manager used with a lot of the old DOS games doesn't play
well with XP compatability mode. DOSbox works with all the games I have tried it
with and it is improving all the time but it is optimised for games and doesn't
handle printing at all well. It can also be tricky to get sound working.

Marek

Is there a version of this for Windows based games? Like C&C or War2?
I tried running C&C and it says "This is a windows based game"...?

"Roger_Nickel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Marek wrote:
> > Will comat mode or Dos Box work? like is it a hit and miss affair - or

is it
> > a reliable solution? any performance impact?
> >

> > "Roger_Nickel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > goodies... I

> > old

> > hardware?

> > startup,

> >>Run the games under DOSbox, not what you want to hear but....

> The extended memory manager used with a lot of the old DOS games doesn't

play
> well with XP compatability mode. DOSbox works with all the games I have

tried it
> with and it is improving all the time but it is optimised for games and

doesn't
> handle printing at all well. It can also be tricky to get sound working.

Nicholas Sherlock

Marek wrote:
> Is there a version of this for Windows based games? Like C&C or War2?
> I tried running C&C and it says "This is a windows based game"...?

If you're using XP, run the games in "Windows 95 compatibility mode".

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

~misfit~

Mr Scebe wrote:
> "Marek" <.@.> wrote in message
> news:8Kvse.8097$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of
>> goodies... I
>> can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot
>> for old games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not
>> support new hardware?
>> I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on
>> startup, and WinME goes blank and that's all.
>>
>> Ideas?

> You need a textmode driver for the SATA drive, i would imagine (when
> you install XP you get a prompt to select F6 to install the driver).
> Why don't you just install XP, then run any apps/games in
> compatibility mode?

I have extensive experience with this and 'compatability mode' often doesn't
work. In fact, IME, more often than not it fails to live up to it's name.
--
~misfit~

Mercury

If you have more than 768mb ram, there are issues with Win98.
There are system.ini settings needed to restrict it to 512mb IIRC.

If your HDD's are IDE or configured to use IDE emulation (if SATA) you
should have no issues there. There are all sorts of partition size limits -
if it is FAT32 then keeping the system partition under 2gb and making it the
first partition on the disc will help.

I'd go fishing on the mobo makers site for mention of Win98 drivers. Failing
that, the original chipset makers. In the past to get the system up, one
would install then upgrade to 'native' drivers to get performance (EG SCSI).

HTH
- Tim

"Marek" <.@.> wrote in message news:5iyse.8141$(E-Mail Removed)...
> it's not really an issue given 98 won't run after install - but thanks for
> helping?
>
> according to MS dual booting XP and 98 is fine - you just have to install
> the latest OS last.
>
> Feel free to learn all about dual booting windows xp with dos, win 95,
> win98, win ME on their website here
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p.mspx?pf=true
>

> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
>> In article <8Kvse.8097$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
>> Jun 2005 20:20:03 +1200, Marek <.@.> says...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of

> goodies... I
>> > can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for

> old
>> > games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new

> hardware?
>> > I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on

> startup,
>> > and WinME goes blank and that's all.

>> Dual booting is not supported on 98, I assume you are using some separate
>> boot manager, not Windows.

Tony

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:07:08 +1200, "Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you have more than 768mb ram, there are issues with Win98.
>There are system.ini settings needed to restrict it to 512mb IIRC.
>
>If your HDD's are IDE or configured to use IDE emulation (if SATA) you
>should have no issues there. There are all sorts of partition size limits -
>if it is FAT32 then keeping the system partition under 2gb and making it the
>first partition on the disc will help.

I have 18gig Partitions and the work OK with 98se..

>I'd go fishing on the mobo makers site for mention of Win98 drivers. Failing
>that, the original chipset makers. In the past to get the system up, one
>would install then upgrade to 'native' drivers to get performance (EG SCSI).
>
>HTH
>- Tim
>

>"Marek" <.@.> wrote in message news:5iyse.8141$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> it's not really an issue given 98 won't run after install - but thanks for
>> helping?
>>
>> according to MS dual booting XP and 98 is fine - you just have to install
>> the latest OS last.
>>
>> Feel free to learn all about dual booting windows xp with dos, win 95,
>> win98, win ME on their website here
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p.mspx?pf=true
>>

>> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
>>> In article <8Kvse.8097$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
>>> Jun 2005 20:20:03 +1200, Marek <.@.> says...

>> goodies... I

>> old

>> hardware?

>> startup,
>>>
>>> Dual booting is not supported on 98, I assume you are using some separate
>>> boot manager, not Windows.

Adam

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:17:28 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

>Mr Scebe wrote:
>> "Marek" <.@.> wrote in message
>> news:8Kvse.8097$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of
>>> goodies... I
>>> can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot
>>> for old games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not
>>> support new hardware?
>>> I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on
>>> startup, and WinME goes blank and that's all.
>>>
>>> Ideas?

>> You need a textmode driver for the SATA drive, i would imagine (when
>> you install XP you get a prompt to select F6 to install the driver).
>> Why don't you just install XP, then run any apps/games in
>> compatibility mode?

>I have extensive experience with this and 'compatability mode' often doesn't
>work. In fact, IME, more often than not it fails to live up to it's name.

I tend to support that. I'm a rabid Flight Simmer and the FS
newsgroups are full of people desperately trying to get old and
beloved games/sims to run on the new equipment they need to run the
latest sim.

It very rarely works, and in nearly all cases that it did, was such a
pain that the result just didn't compensate for all the grief. Believe
me - these people are fanatics (one sandwich short of a train-spotter)
and have tried most things.

Adam.

~misfit~

Adam wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:17:28 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Mr Scebe wrote:
>>> Why don't you just install XP, then run any apps/games in
>>> compatibility mode?

>> I have extensive experience with this and 'compatability mode' often
>> doesn't work. In fact, IME, more often than not it fails to live up
>> to it's name.

> I tend to support that. I'm a rabid Flight Simmer and the FS
> newsgroups are full of people desperately trying to get old and
> beloved games/sims to run on the new equipment they need to run the
> latest sim.
>
> It very rarely works, and in nearly all cases that it did, was such a
> pain that the result just didn't compensate for all the grief. Believe
> me - these people are fanatics (one sandwich short of a train-spotter)
> and have tried most things.

Yep. When I first 'upgraded' to XP I fairly quickly did a re-format and made
the machine dual-boot with 98SE as a lot of my "beloved" older games just
wouldn't run on XP. Believe me, I tried everything I could, hunted the web,
emailed tech support for some games....

The whole dual-boot thing became cumbersome after a couple of HDD upgrades
though. Reinstalling *one* version of Windows is painful enough. In the end
I just built up a second machine out of other peoples cast-offs and put it
on a KVM switch/LAN with my main machine. It was plenty fast enough for
those old games etc. anyway. (I also had a SCSI scanner that gave excellent
results but XP drivers for it couldn't be found, even after months of
searching and posting in driver forums). That old scanner, still working
flawlessly with excellent output, went to the dump last week. I hate that.
--
~misfit~

Rob J

In article <5iyse.8141$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
Jun 2005 23:14:56 +1200, Marek <.@.> says...
> it's not really an issue given 98 won't run after install - but thanks for
> helping?
>
> according to MS dual booting XP and 98 is fine - you just have to install
> the latest OS last.
>
> Feel free to learn all about dual booting windows xp with dos, win 95,
> win98, win ME on their website here
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p.mspx?pf=true

Windows 98 does not support dual booting to another OS. Windows XP does.

If you're dual booting you are using XP's boot manager - 98 doesn't have
one.