Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Thanks, Microsoft (Warning: Contains Expletives)

Thanks, Microsoft (Warning: Contains Expletives)

xray spex

"Bling-Bling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.18.03.42.13.445857@TRACKER...
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:20:32 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
>
>> I bet you think Kyoto's a good idea, too?

> I think that an international treaty to control greenhouse gas emissions
> is a very good thing.
>
> The bigest problem with that is the USA refusing to ratify it - the USA
> being one of the planet's worst poluters.
>

> Bling Bling
>
> --

Can somebody please explain to me how CO2, a gas which I understand is more
dense than air, can find its way into the upper atmosphere and allegedly
cause the dreaded "greenhouse effect" ?

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:34:01 +1200, xray spex wrote:

>> I think that an international treaty to control greenhouse gas emissions
>> is a very good thing.
>>
>> The bigest problem with that is the USA refusing to ratify it - the USA
>> being one of the planet's worst poluters.
>>

>> Bling Bling
>>
>> --

> Can somebody please explain to me how CO2, a gas which I understand is more
> dense than air, can find its way into the upper atmosphere and allegedly
> cause the dreaded "greenhouse effect" ?

Carbon dioxide is a basic component of air. It is also a basic product of
of the combustion of fossel fuels which when burnt also release many
polutants and toxic chemicals - including carbon monoxide, the chemical
which reacts with ozone to form carbon dioxide and thus depleting the
Ozone layer.

Thus the combination of increased quantities of carbon dioxide (a molecule
which holds-on to more energy than does hydrogen) disproportionatly to
what used to be in our atmosphere, and the lack of ozone which results in
more energy from the sun entering the earth's ecosphere and then being
held by the increased quantities of carbon dioxide.

The increased temprature has the effect of melting the ice caps and thus
increasing the sea level.

The increased temprature also has the effect of causing plants to grow
faster and thus absorb more carbon dioxide from the air.

The only problem is that we are destroying the best means (rainforests)
the planet has for absorbing the Carbon dioxide at the same time as we are
putting more carbon dioxide into the air. Thus we are tampering with the
mechanism that the planet uses to regulate the amount of Carbon dioxide in
the air.

Bling Bling

shannon

xray spex wrote:

> "Bling-Bling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2005.06.18.03.42.13.445857@TRACKER...
>
>>On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:20:32 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
>>

>>>I bet you think Kyoto's a good idea, too?

>>I think that an international treaty to control greenhouse gas emissions
>>is a very good thing.
>>
>>The bigest problem with that is the USA refusing to ratify it - the USA
>>being one of the planet's worst poluters.
>>

>>Bling Bling
>>
>>--

> Can somebody please explain to me how CO2, a gas which I understand is more
> dense than air, can find its way into the upper atmosphere and allegedly
> cause the dreaded "greenhouse effect" ?

The greenhouse effect is not an upper atmosphere effect, its about the
re radiation of energy from the planets surface Some gases are
transparent at the frequencies transmitted from the sun to the earths
surface, but opaque to the frequencies re radiated back to space.
You may be confused by the ozone layer or the greenhouse metaphor.

Anyway Wikipedia as always has a great page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_effect

Note that the greenhouse effect is intrinsic to any planets atmosphere
and is necessary for our survival, we depend on the correct balance
being maintained in our environment.

shannon

Bling-Bling wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:34:01 +1200, xray spex wrote:
>

>>>I think that an international treaty to control greenhouse gas emissions
>>>is a very good thing.
>>>
>>>The bigest problem with that is the USA refusing to ratify it - the USA
>>>being one of the planet's worst poluters.
>>>

>>>Bling Bling
>>>
>>>--

>>Can somebody please explain to me how CO2, a gas which I understand is more
>>dense than air, can find its way into the upper atmosphere and allegedly
>>cause the dreaded "greenhouse effect" ?

> Carbon dioxide is a basic component of air. It is also a basic product of
> of the combustion of fossel fuels which when burnt also release many
> polutants and toxic chemicals - including carbon monoxide, the chemical
> which reacts with ozone to form carbon dioxide and thus depleting the
> Ozone layer.

Nope
Chorofluorocarbon (CFC) propellants and refrigerants are responsible for
ozone depletion.
Carbon monoxide in the atmosphere increases tropospheric ozone by
reacting with othe compounds that would otherwise destroy ozone.
Carbon monoxide in the atmosphere oxidises to carbon dioxide.

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:20:42 +1200, shannon wrote:

> Carbon monoxide in the atmosphere oxidises to carbon dioxide.

that's what I said, dahling.

And what does it use in the process? Oxygen!

Bling Bling

shannon

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:51:33 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:20:42 +1200, shannon wrote:
>
>> Carbon monoxide in the atmosphere oxidises to carbon dioxide.

> that's what I said, dahling.
>
> And what does it use in the process? Oxygen!
>

> Bling Bling

No, you said it reacts with ozone, in the ozone layer.

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:49:03 +1200, shannon wrote:

>> And what does it use in the process? Oxygen!
>>

>> Bling Bling

> No, you said it reacts with ozone, in the ozone layer.

Let me see...

Oxygen can be found in several forms:

The common ones being O3 and O2, of which O3 is much more reactive due to
the very much weaker bonds holding the 3 atoms together.

Both are Oxygen.

Bling Bling

shannon

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:59:27 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:49:03 +1200, shannon wrote:
>
>>> And what does it use in the process? Oxygen!
>>>

>>> Bling Bling

>> No, you said it reacts with ozone, in the ozone layer.

> Let me see...
>
> Oxygen can be found in several forms:
>
> The common ones being O3 and O2, of which O3 is much more reactive due to
> the very much weaker bonds holding the 3 atoms together.
>
> Both are Oxygen.
>

> Bling Bling

You claimed that man made carbon monoxide reacts with ozone in the ozone
layer.
You were wrong.
Now you are back pedalling and obfuscating,.

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:43:57 +1200, shannon wrote:

> You claimed that man made carbon monoxide reacts with ozone in the ozone
> layer.
> You were wrong.
> Now you are back pedalling and obfuscating.

I think that it is certain that at least SOME CO will react
with SOME O3 to form SOME CO2 and SOME O2.

At no time had I claimed that carbon monoxide was THE reason for the ozone
hole.

Bling Bling

H.O.G

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:42:14 +1200, Bling-Bling
<(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine words:

>On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:20:32 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
>
>> I bet you think Kyoto's a good idea, too?

>I think that an international treaty to control greenhouse gas emissions
>is a very good thing.
>
>The bigest problem with that is the USA refusing to ratify it - the USA
>being one of the planet's worst poluters.

I'll rephrase.

I bet you think us signing up to the Kyoto agreement is a good idea,
even when our main trading partners haven't?