Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why does my firewall breakdown when I visit TradeMe?

Why does my firewall breakdown when I visit TradeMe?

paora

Very often when I visit TradeMe my firewall goes bung,

Using ZoneAlarm and WinME on a dialup modem connection.

Firstly I get a message telling me Vsmon has shut down.

Then my IE browser hangs until I force a ZoneAlarm closedown.

Is this normal?

Mauricio Freitas

"paora" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1118918838.db3c22557e579211bff1a0472e792580@t eranews...

> Very often when I visit TradeMe my firewall goes bung,
>
> Using ZoneAlarm and WinME on a dialup modem connection.
>
> Firstly I get a message telling me Vsmon has shut down.
>
> Then my IE browser hangs until I force a ZoneAlarm closedown.
>
> Is this normal?

No, it's not normal... Perhaps reinstall the software with a newer version
(if not using the latest one?)

Is WinME updated to the latest patches available?

http://www.geekzone.co.nz

Tony

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:47:12 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (paora) wrote:

>Very often when I visit TradeMe my firewall goes bung,
>
>Using ZoneAlarm and WinME on a dialup modem connection.
>
>Firstly I get a message telling me Vsmon has shut down.
>
>Then my IE browser hangs until I force a ZoneAlarm closedown.
>
>Is this normal?

Yes ZoneAlarm is Crap, I stopped using it many many years ago..

Get Outpost of Kerio..

ardz

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:47:12 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (paora) wrote:
>

> >Very often when I visit TradeMe my firewall goes bung,
> >
> >Using ZoneAlarm and WinME on a dialup modem connection.
> >
> >Firstly I get a message telling me Vsmon has shut down.
> >
> >Then my IE browser hangs until I force a ZoneAlarm closedown.
> >
> >Is this normal?

> Yes ZoneAlarm is Crap, I stopped using it many many years ago..
>
> Get Outpost of Kerio..

Ive used zonealarm free through the years and have never had any
compatibility problems with all the OSs i have used. Im currently on XP on
both PCs.

Dave Taylor

"ardz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hhlse.7999$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:47:12 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (paora) wrote:
>>

>> >Very often when I visit TradeMe my firewall goes bung,
>> >
>> >Using ZoneAlarm and WinME on a dialup modem connection.
>> >
>> >Firstly I get a message telling me Vsmon has shut down.
>> >
>> >Then my IE browser hangs until I force a ZoneAlarm closedown.
>> >
>> >Is this normal?

>> Yes ZoneAlarm is Crap, I stopped using it many many years ago..
>>
>> Get Outpost of Kerio..
>>

> Ive used zonealarm free through the years and have never had any
> compatibility problems with all the OSs i have used. Im currently on
> XP on both PCs.

I have had issues with ZA. Besides, ever since they went bloated at
version 3, Sygate has been my choice. Zone alarm had documented problems
like not actually stopping when you tell it to and breaking applications
until it is completely and cleanly removed. (not easy sometimes) I am sure
that all firewalls have these kinds of problems but for someone who does
not need the learning mode of ZA, I would never recommend ZA to anyone. I
only recommend ZA to someone who has never ever used a firewall and does
not know what a port is. ZA has just gone downhill in the past 2 years and
its most recent version in the past couple of weeks has some real
documented problems. I run away from ZA every chance I get, but sometimes
you have no choice.
So I am agreeing with Woger.

--
Ciao, Dave