Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ping Brett Roberts - re COA Stickers

Ping Brett Roberts - re COA Stickers

Matty F

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> JohnO wrote:
>
>> OK, that's cool - but where/how can one legally obtain the CD, without
>> having to pay for another licence?

> usually you can just ring MS, and pay a small fee for the media(~$5 I
> think), and viola.

They give you a viola as well? How about a violin instead?

H.O.G

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:38:54 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine words:

>JohnO wrote:
>> OK, that's cool - but where/how can one legally obtain the CD, without
>> having to pay for another licence?

>usually you can just ring MS, and pay a small fee for the media(~$5 I
>think), and viola.

Actually, $50 for media.

Crazy, ay.

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Brett Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ... Also, the comment made
>elsewhere on this thread by Rob J about using another person's CD is correct
>and a lot of people use this approach if/when they need to re-install.

Can I quote you on that? It appears to contradict the MS EULA which says,
in summary, that the COA applies to the particular OEM build licensed to the
OEM installer for the install. Using any other build (or a retail build)
invalidates the COA.

I suspect MS take a common-sense approach to this, in the same way as the
record companies aren't about to prosecute anyone ripping a CD that they own
onto their iPod, but the right is reserved.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
-- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286

shannon

Don Hills wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Brett Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ... Also, the comment made
>>elsewhere on this thread by Rob J about using another person's CD is correct
>>and a lot of people use this approach if/when they need to re-install.

> Can I quote you on that? It appears to contradict the MS EULA which says,
> in summary, that the COA applies to the particular OEM build licensed to the
> OEM installer for the install. Using any other build (or a retail build)
> invalidates the COA.
>
> I suspect MS take a common-sense approach to this, in the same way as the
> record companies aren't about to prosecute anyone ripping a CD that they own
> onto their iPod, but the right is reserved.

Yup
It stops vendors from selling pre loaded ipods

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sat, 18 Jun
2005 00:52:18 +1200, Don Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Brett Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > ... Also, the comment made
> >elsewhere on this thread by Rob J about using another person's CD is correct
> >and a lot of people use this approach if/when they need to re-install.

> Can I quote you on that? It appears to contradict the MS EULA which says,
> in summary, that the COA applies to the particular OEM build licensed to the
> OEM installer for the install. Using any other build (or a retail build)
> invalidates the COA.

From my POV that depends on whether the OEM is using a recovery CD or a
vanilla XP OEM CD. The latter can be got elsewhere easily enough.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

-=rjh=- wrote:
>>> OK, that's cool - but where/how can one legally obtain the CD, without
>>> having to pay for another licence?

>> usually you can just ring MS, and pay a small fee for the media(~$5 I
>> think), and viola.

> What the hell do you do with the viola? Why does MS have so many to give
> away?

ok, so my spelling isn't up to it, I may have mean "voila"...
"so many to give away?"
for people who break their CDs.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.