Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Advice Request - New machine that can run Win98SE, Win2K / WinXP, and Linux

Advice Request - New machine that can run Win98SE, Win2K / WinXP, and Linux

Alan

Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade my machine in the next few months and I will
probably look at the corporate auctions (via work).

Ideally, I would like to pick up something that has specs like the
following (min is okay, upper is what I would aim for):

Processor: 1.6 to 2.4 GHz
Memory: 256 to 512 MB
FSB: 400 to 800 MHz
HDD: 40 to 120 GB
FDD included
CD / DVD Writer - Speed not really an issue
Parallel Port
USB Ports: 3 to 6
Separate KVM connections.

My monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer etc are fine, so I would not be
concerned about them.

I currently use Woosh, but that may change in the future, but it does
use USB to connect to the PC so USB is important right now, but I may
changes to a wired broaband later.

If I get going with Linux, my current inclination is to use Debian so
if you need to think of a distro to answer below, then use that as an
example for now.

I will probably triple boot using Smart Boot Manager, entirely hiding
the other OSs from each other (at least in the case of Win98SE - not
sure about how Win2k and Linux feel about each other).

Questions:

1) Can you connect via Woosh using Linux at all? I couldn't see
anything on their website?

2) Are there any particular brands of PC that generally work well
with Linux and / or are particularly bad about working with Linux?

3) Is there anything else I should be aware of when buying a second
hand machine that will make it easier to set up Linux down the track?

4) Is there anything I should have asked here but neglected to??

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

I would prefer not to get into any discussion about relative merits of
the OSs - I *will* be using Win98SE and Win2K / WinXP (depending on
what licence comes with the PC I buy or I acquire separately) and I do
intend to try out Debian or other Linux distros too, so relative
merits are moot.

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

Chris Hope

Alan wrote:

[snip]

> I currently use Woosh, but that may change in the future, but it does
> use USB to connect to the PC so USB is important right now, but I may
> changes to a wired broaband later.
>
> If I get going with Linux, my current inclination is to use Debian so
> if you need to think of a distro to answer below, then use that as an
> example for now.
>
> I will probably triple boot using Smart Boot Manager, entirely hiding
> the other OSs from each other (at least in the case of Win98SE - not
> sure about how Win2k and Linux feel about each other).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Can you connect via Woosh using Linux at all? I couldn't see
> anything on their website?

Apparantly it's possible with the roaring penguin client but I never
managed to make it work. http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

I have managed to get the Telecom mobile Jetstream card working with
Linux though (it was actually really easy), but then that's nothing to
do with Woosh

> 2) Are there any particular brands of PC that generally work well
> with Linux and / or are particularly bad about working with Linux?
>
> 3) Is there anything else I should be aware of when buying a second
> hand machine that will make it easier to set up Linux down the track?
>
> 4) Is there anything I should have asked here but neglected to??
>
> Thanks for any and all thoughts.
>
> I would prefer not to get into any discussion about relative merits of
> the OSs - I *will* be using Win98SE and Win2K / WinXP (depending on
> what licence comes with the PC I buy or I acquire separately) and I do
> intend to try out Debian or other Linux distros too, so relative
> merits are moot.

I'm sure *you* would rather not get into the relative merits of each OS
but I'm also sure there are others in this group who will discuss them
anyway

-=rjh=-

Alan wrote:

> I currently use Woosh, but that may change in the future, but it does
> use USB to connect to the PC so USB is important right now, but I may
> changes to a wired broaband later.

An ethernet cable is available for Woosh modems, so once it is setup,
you shouldn't need USB or drivers. I have a Woosh modem here with both
cables, but haven't tried it yet.

HTH

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Alan wrote:
> 2) Are there any particular brands of PC that generally work well
> with Linux and / or are particularly bad about working with Linux?

Dell Servers and Redhat... mostly because the two work together on things.

Woosh can be run with a network cable, you have to buy it from them if
memory serves me correctly.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> 2) Are there any particular brands of PC that generally work well
>> with Linux and / or are particularly bad about working with Linux?

> Dell Servers and Redhat... mostly because the two work together on things.

> Woosh can be run with a network cable, you have to buy it from them if
> memory serves me correctly.

oh yeah, and Windows 2k or XP would probably be better(than 9x) on the
machine you are describing.

For Linux, it depends on what you want it for, if only a windows
replacement, Xandros/Linspire is great, Mandriva and Redhat/Fedora is good.
For serving, it depends on what you're doing, but Debian is good.

Hell, any linux is customisable to what you want, the above is just a
guide for potential usefulness.

Chris Hope

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>> 2) Are there any particular brands of PC that generally work well
>> with Linux and / or are particularly bad about working with Linux?

> Dell Servers and Redhat... mostly because the two work together on
> things.
>
> Woosh can be run with a network cable, you have to buy it from them if
> memory serves me correctly.

It's a special cable with a proprietary connector at one end and they
rip you off to the tune of $30 for it, or at least that's how much I
paid back in Sept 03. And as I mentioned my the other post, I never
managed to make it work on Linux anyway.