Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL options ...ideas ?

ADSL options ...ideas ?

Robert Singers

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Bling-Bling said

> Of course FULLSPEED ADSL is 8mbit/s not 2mbit/s - hence my assertion that
> there be no genuine full speed DSL service available in NZ.

In Message-ID: <pan.2005.06.12.08.45.01.920228@TRACKER> you asserted
"Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ". That's a completely
different thing to asserting that full speed DSl doesn't exist.

--
rob singers
pull finger to reply

Bling-Bling

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:42:03 +1200, Robert Singers wrote:

> In Message-ID: <pan.2005.06.12.08.45.01.920228@TRACKER> you asserted
> "Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ". That's a completely
> different thing to asserting that full speed DSl doesn't exist.

Of course it doesn't - for people who are not prepared to pay more than
$500/month!

Are *you* prepared to pay $500/month in order to have a real broadband
service?

Bling Bling

Master Megatron

We can all blame Telecom for that.

For $70 a month i see no reason why we can't get a full 2-3 Mbps
connection flat rate no data caps download speed and 312 - 512k upload.

To say that our infrastructure can't handle it is bullshit - its just
telecom doesn't want to spend any money to upgrade the services cos they
are a bunch of monopolistic assholes.

Bling-Bling wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:42:03 +1200, Robert Singers wrote:
>

>>In Message-ID: <pan.2005.06.12.08.45.01.920228@TRACKER> you asserted
>>"Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ". That's a completely
>>different thing to asserting that full speed DSl doesn't exist.

> Of course it doesn't - for people who are not prepared to pay more than
> $500/month!
>
> Are *you* prepared to pay $500/month in order to have a real broadband
> service?
>

> Bling Bling

Robert Singers

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Bling-Bling said

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:42:03 +1200, Robert Singers wrote:
>
>> In Message-ID: <pan.2005.06.12.08.45.01.920228@TRACKER> you asserted
>> "Genuine broadband does not yet exist in NZ". That's a completely
>> different thing to asserting that full speed DSl doesn't exist.

> Of course it doesn't - for people who are not prepared to pay more than
> $500/month!

You said that real Broadband doesn't exist in NZ and then you contradicted
yourself. I'm pointing that out. I'm not discussing DSL with you.
Really, your English comprehensions skills are poor as your writing skills.

> Are *you* prepared to pay $500/month in order to have a real broadband
> service?

I have real broadband thanks and it's none of your business what I spend on
it.

--
rob singers
pull finger to reply
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere

Robert Singers

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Master Megatron said

Ever heard the saying "**** or get off the pot"?

--
rob singers
pull finger to reply
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere

cowboyz

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:39:42 +1200, Master Megatron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We can all blame Telecom for that.
>
> For $70 a month i see no reason why we can't get a full 2-3 Mbps
> connection flat rate no data caps download speed and 312 - 512k upload.
>
> To say that our infrastructure can't handle it is bullshit - its just
> telecom doesn't want to spend any money to upgrade the services cos they
> are a bunch of monopolistic assholes.

At least you can get jetstream. I am really ****ed. After 16 years of
crap dialup service living on a dairy farm and accepting it as par for the
course I moved to Palmerston North (you know, the CITY) and are told that
I still can't get it. I can't believe it.

--
Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Master Megatron wrote:
> We can all blame Telecom for that.
>
> For $70 a month i see no reason why we can't get a full 2-3 Mbps
> connection flat rate no data caps download speed and 312 - 512k upload.
>
> To say that our infrastructure can't handle it is bullshit - its just
> telecom doesn't want to spend any money to upgrade the services cos they
> are a bunch of monopolistic assholes.

well if it's that easy pitch it to your bank manager, if it really is
that easy, and obviously you have looked at this in depth and know the
costs of the gear and the intl bandwidth needed to support all of this,
they would be stupid not to give you the moeny to do it.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

PAM.

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> At least you can get jetstream. I am really ****ed. After 16 years of
> crap dialup service living on a dairy farm and accepting it as par for the
> course I moved to Palmerston North (you know, the CITY) and are told that
> I still can't get it. I can't believe it.

It's not all it's cracked up to be IMO. I have 2Mb through Slingshot and
whilst it's fast, it's not always fast. Last night it was like dialup in
some areas.
Streaming music is great. That's the only thing currently ythat I use that
is different to dialup.
I got ADSL so that I could mainly work from home CHC way and connect through
remote desktop to the office in AKL. Again, Last night was slightly better
than dialup (which for this, is shite).
If it continues like this, I shall go back to dialup. and save $40

PAM.

Master Megatron

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Master Megatron wrote:
>
>> We can all blame Telecom for that.
>>
>> For $70 a month i see no reason why we can't get a full 2-3 Mbps
>> connection flat rate no data caps download speed and 312 - 512k upload.
>>
>> To say that our infrastructure can't handle it is bullshit - its just
>> telecom doesn't want to spend any money to upgrade the services cos
>> they are a bunch of monopolistic assholes.

> well if it's that easy pitch it to your bank manager, if it really is
> that easy, and obviously you have looked at this in depth and know the
> costs of the gear and the intl bandwidth needed to support all of this,
> they would be stupid not to give you the moeny to do it.

we are talking about a company that makes hundereds of millions of
dollars - its about time the government stopped being such a bunch of
pussy's and Unbundle the local loop

Kent Smith

Master Megatron wrote:
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> Master Megatron wrote:
>>
>>> We can all blame Telecom for that.
>>>
>>> For $70 a month i see no reason why we can't get a full 2-3 Mbps
>>> connection flat rate no data caps download speed and 312 - 512k
>>> upload.
>>>
>>> To say that our infrastructure can't handle it is bullshit - its
>>> just telecom doesn't want to spend any money to upgrade the
>>> services cos they are a bunch of monopolistic assholes.

>> well if it's that easy pitch it to your bank manager, if it really is
>> that easy, and obviously you have looked at this in depth and know
>> the costs of the gear and the intl bandwidth needed to support all
>> of this, they would be stupid not to give you the moeny to do it.
>>

> we are talking about a company that makes hundereds of millions of
> dollars - its about time the government stopped being such a bunch of
> pussy's and Unbundle the local loop

Lower profit mean lower tax take. Being 2nd biggest company on the
exchange, the share price drop would also make NZSE50 look bad directly
affecting the whole economy. Telecom have NZ by the short and curlies and
the government appear to love them for it. As long as they look like they
are doing something positive now and then and they keep coming up with the
same excuses why they're not, the government will let them get away with it.

-KENT