Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ 2nd level domains - why .co, .govt, .ac ?

NZ 2nd level domains - why .co, .govt, .ac ?

-=rjh=-

Matthew Poole wrote:

> We're not the only country to use the codes that we do (though .govt may
> be unique). The UK also use .co and .ac, as do a number of other
> countries. The Cook Islands were using .co until it was explained to them
> why using .co with a ccTLD of .ck isn't such a great idea globally (to
> them, a cock is a rooster).

They still use co.ck - I know, I've just been there (what a nice
place!), try http://www.budget.co.ck for example.

Plenty of room for creative names, and could be a nice little earner for
them. They need all the help they can get.

steve

Aaron Lawrence wrote:

> Australia does follow the TLDs. I guess we just followed the UK, good
> little colony that we are. The same argument applies to them, IMO
>
> Not that I'm saying everything the US does is right, but in this case it
> makes more sense to follow the majority.

When it was defined, that is what was done.

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:38:43 +1200, Dorado wrote:

>>> Now, without looking it up - what does .tw use?

>> Don't know - and don't care!
>>
>> Whatever structure that Taiwan uses for its own domain space is
>> irrelevant to the structure that NZ uses for our domain space.
>>
>> Surely the fact that you have to "continually think" about the URLs
>> that you use indicates that either you are not bookmarking your URLs,
>> or you are not capable of remembering them.
>>

>> Bling Bling

> I think you are missing the OP's point.

And I think you're missing mine.

If someone is looking for a URL then all they have to do is to google for
it - simple as that. No guesswork required.

> Its not about remembering URLs that
> you know, its for people who are NOT New Zealanders who want to try and
> guess URLs of NZ companies. I have to agree with what Aaron and rjh says. It
> does become a hassle for poeple from outsite the country who want to guess
> our domain names.

Let them have more fun by guessing wrongly for a few times first. But
there are more efficient means of finding URLs.

Bling Bling

~misfit~

-=rjh=- wrote:

> Now, without looking it up - what does .tw use?

abc.tw.com

Confusing huh?
--
~misfit~

Peter

~misfit~ wrote:
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>> Now, without looking it up - what does .tw use?

> abc.tw.com

how about ...
www.dtk.com.tw
www.manufacturers.com.tw
www.taipei.gov.tw
www.nchc.org.tw

-----------------

-=rjh=-

Bling-Bling wrote:

> Surely the fact that you have to "continually think" about the URLs that
> you use indicates that either you are not bookmarking your URLs, or you
> are not capable of remembering them.

You've totally missed my point. It indicates that the system is not as
user friendly as it could have been.

Are you assuming that I'm always going to have access to bookmarks, and
that all websites are accessible by bookmarks. At home, I use several
different browsers on several different systems, so bookmarks are a
hassle. If I want to visit the asus website, for example, why should I
have to look it up? I do bookmark a lot of stuff, but bookmarking
somewhere I've never or rarely visited or have no previous interest in
is not going to happen.

Some browsers (Firefox, for example) will, 90% of the time, go to the
website you think you need if you just type the company name in. How
well that works is up to google. Often assumptions are made about your
geographical location which influences the result.

And as for remembering URLs? Of course I'm capable of remembering them,
but why should I have to remember which system any particular country
uses; that is almost as absurd as remembering the IP addresses
themselves. It should be possible to deduce the URL of any organisation
from the type of organisation, the name of the organisation and the
country it is in. Of course, the organisations themselves almost always
stuff this up - although commercial organisations that are brand aware
generally do this best, and government and other organisations do this
worst - but the system is already stuffed before you get down to that level.

I shouldn't have to think about the exceptions to the system, it should
be logical. This is a system that *could* have been completely logical,
but it has been stuffed up.

As an end user, I don't care that "Whatever structure that Taiwan uses
for its own domain space is irrelevant to the structure that NZ uses for
our domain space." All I care about is that the system is easy to use.
Sure, it works OK, but my point is, it could have been so much easier.

~misfit~

Peter wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> -=rjh=- wrote:
>>> Now, without looking it up - what does .tw use?

>> abc.tw.com

> how about ...
> www.dtk.com.tw
> www.manufacturers.com.tw
> www.taipei.gov.tw
> www.nchc.org.tw

Ahhh, ok. I've been to a few mobo manufacturers sites that have the 'tw'
before the 'com'. Either that or I've gone mad.
--
~misfit~

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Peter wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>>
>>> abc.tw.com

>> how about ...
>> www.dtk.com.tw
>> www.manufacturers.com.tw
>> www.taipei.gov.tw
>> www.nchc.org.tw

>Ahhh, ok. I've been to a few mobo manufacturers sites that have the 'tw'
>before the 'com'. Either that or I've gone mad.

You probably haven't gone (completely) mad. What you were most likely
seeing was some global companies dividing up their own domain according
to geographic region, e.g.

tw.company.com
nz.company.com

(not "...tw.com", at least not likely.) I remember contacting Sun folks
in NZ with addresses that ended with "newzealand.sun.com".

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:03:18 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

> why should I have to look it up?

In order to locate it in the first place?

> I do bookmark a lot of stuff, but bookmarking
> somewhere I've never or rarely visited or have no previous interest in
> is not going to happen.

Well duh!!!!!

And if you have no interest in, or only rarely visit a website, then how
will it hurt you to google for it if/when you need to get to it?

And it sounds like you could benefit from having your bookmarks located on
a server so that you can use them from any of your desktop boxen.

Bling Bling

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:03:18 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

> I shouldn't have to think about the exceptions to the system, it should
> be logical. This is a system that *could* have been completely logical,
> but it has been stuffed up.

And how would "geek", "maori", "cri", "iwi", etc fit into your
"completely logical" system?

I mean, shouldn't "geek"s be really "gen" and shouldn't "iwi"s really be
"maori" and shouldn't "cri"s really be "govt"?

And shouldn't "acc.co.nz" (real website) really be "acc.govt.nz" seeing as
it's a government department?

Bling Bling