Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > More stuff axed from Longhorn

More stuff axed from Longhorn

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Bling-Bling wrote:
>>unlike previous versions of NT which had both Workstation and Server
>>flavours released simulatenously

>>The Server version obviously contains a lot more features that are
>>needed for that scenario:
>>Clustering, File & Storage Server, Identity & Directory Services,
>>Management/Deployment, Networking & Remote Access, Terminal Services,
>>Web Server, Application Server, Media Streaming Server, Rights
>>Management Services, Sharepoint Services blah blah etc

> Wow man - and these "features" are what sets WinNT5.1 appart from WinNT5.2!

> Surely if that be the case, then WinNT5.1 must have been nearly useless!

Windows XP is a home and workstation OS... not much need for clustering etc.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Roger_Nickel

FreedomChooser wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:43:02 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
> wrote:
>

>>>So you pay for the updates....no such thing as a free lunch is
>>>there.........
>>>
>>>regards
>>>
>>>Thing

>>that concept has always made me laugh
>>If I buy a car, and its later discovered that the parts supplied with it are
>>wonky, the manufacturer is expected to replace or repair the fault at their
>>expense
>>If I buy the license to use an OS.. I am expected to pay for shoddy work
>>contained within??????
>>Now bearing in mind OS'es are huge, theres bound to be errors in the code,
>>and to replace or repair the code is negligible ( apart from getting that
>>fix to each and every user of that OS)
>>but I _still_ dont see why I should be expected to pay for it (they supplied
>>shoddy product in the first place after all)
>></rant>

> After a certain period the car maker stops supplying spares
> No diffrent

Cars can be easily reverse engineered. Those old model A's are not kept going
with Ford spares, there is a whole industry supplying second source spare parts
for old vehicles.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Roger_Nickel wrote:

>>> that concept has always made me laugh
>>> If I buy a car, and its later discovered that the parts supplied with
>>> it are
>>> wonky, the manufacturer is expected to replace or repair the fault at
>>> their
>>> expense
>>> If I buy the license to use an OS.. I am expected to pay for shoddy work
>>> contained within??????
>>> Now bearing in mind OS'es are huge, theres bound to be errors in the
>>> code,
>>> and to replace or repair the code is negligible ( apart from getting
>>> that
>>> fix to each and every user of that OS)
>>> but I _still_ dont see why I should be expected to pay for it (they
>>> supplied
>>> shoddy product in the first place after all)
>>> </rant>

>> After a certain period the car maker stops supplying spares
>> No diffrent

> Cars can be easily reverse engineered. Those old model A's are not kept
> going with Ford spares, there is a whole industry supplying second
> source spare parts for old vehicles.

Just moving say ~80 years on...how about the computer from an 85 Mazda
Familia(323) 4WD Turbo(AKA the Mazda GTX)... there is no replacement,
and likely never will be, reverse engineering would be rather hard if
not impossible, the only option is to go to the vendor for an original
part, or "upgrade" to a Mazda 3(SP20).

It goes both ways in all industries.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

shannon

FreedomChooser wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:46:36 +1200, Bling-Bling
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:12:21 +1200, Nathan Mercer wrote:
>>

>>>Windows XP was released on August 24, 2001
>>>meanwhile Windows Server 2003 released March 28, 2003
>>>
>>>unlike previous versions of NT which had both Workstation and Server
>>>flavours released simulatenously
>>>
>>>The Server version obviously contains a lot more features that are
>>>needed for that scenario:
>>>Clustering, File & Storage Server, Identity & Directory Services,
>>>Management/Deployment, Networking & Remote Access, Terminal Services,
>>>Web Server, Application Server, Media Streaming Server, Rights
>>>Management Services, Sharepoint Services blah blah etc

>>Wow man - and these "features" are what sets WinNT5.1 appart from WinNT5.2!
>>
>>Surely if that be the case, then WinNT5.1 must have been nearly useless!

> XP doesn;t need all those things because it is NOT a server operating
> system
> People dont need unnecesary stuff clogging up their hard drives and
> slowing down their home computer

ROTFL
What load of codswallop
Those features are not available so that Microsoft can CHARGE MORE FOR
THEM, and charge for client user licences.

shannon

Bling-Bling wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:12:21 +1200, Nathan Mercer wrote:
>

>>Windows XP was released on August 24, 2001
>>meanwhile Windows Server 2003 released March 28, 2003
>>
>>unlike previous versions of NT which had both Workstation and Server
>>flavours released simulatenously
>>
>>The Server version obviously contains a lot more features that are
>>needed for that scenario:
>>Clustering, File & Storage Server, Identity & Directory Services,
>>Management/Deployment, Networking & Remote Access, Terminal Services,
>>Web Server, Application Server, Media Streaming Server, Rights
>>Management Services, Sharepoint Services blah blah etc

> Wow man - and these "features" are what sets WinNT5.1 appart from WinNT5.2!
>
> Surely if that be the case, then WinNT5.1 must have been nearly useless!
>

> Bling Bling

Its a different current product using the NT 5 version kernel

Roger_Nickel

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> After a certain period the car maker stops supplying spares
>>> No diffrent

>> Cars can be easily reverse engineered. Those old model A's are not
>> kept going with Ford spares, there is a whole industry supplying
>> second source spare parts for old vehicles.

> Just moving say ~80 years on...how about the computer from an 85 Mazda
> Familia(323) 4WD Turbo(AKA the Mazda GTX)... there is no replacement,
> and likely never will be, reverse engineering would be rather hard if
> not impossible, the only option is to go to the vendor for an original
> part, or "upgrade" to a Mazda 3(SP20).
>
> It goes both ways in all industries.

Maybe not worthwhile for an old Mazda, but there are plenty of aftermarket
electronic ignition units available which could be adapted, there used to be a
firm in Christchurch which speciallised in this work. If you want to go to EFI,
then even this is available. Look at some of the aftermarket hot-up kits
available for modern cars, the aftermarket business is alive and well even for
modern vehicles, although it may be easier and cheaper to buy another vehicle in
the auction rooms.
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Roger_Nickel wrote:

>>> Cars can be easily reverse engineered. Those old model A's are not
>>> kept going with Ford spares, there is a whole industry supplying
>>> second source spare parts for old vehicles.

>> Just moving say ~80 years on...how about the computer from an 85 Mazda
>> Familia(323) 4WD Turbo(AKA the Mazda GTX)... there is no replacement,
>> and likely never will be, reverse engineering would be rather hard if
>> not impossible, the only option is to go to the vendor for an original
>> part, or "upgrade" to a Mazda 3(SP20).
>>
>> It goes both ways in all industries.
>>

> Maybe not worthwhile for an old Mazda, but there are plenty of
> aftermarket electronic ignition units available which could be adapted,
> there used to be a firm in Christchurch which speciallised in this work.
> If you want to go to EFI, then even this is available. Look at some of
> the aftermarket hot-up kits available for modern cars, the aftermarket
> business is alive and well even for modern vehicles, although it may be
> easier and cheaper to buy another vehicle in the auction rooms.
> http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

much as you can pay third parties for support of old redundant Os's, but
it'll probably be easier to just upgrade.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
MicroserfdomChooser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>People dont need unnecesary [server-related] stuff clogging up their hard drives and
>slowing down their home computer

Funny, most Linux distros, even desktop-oriented ones, come with exactly
that stuff in the box. They don't "clog up hard drives" unless you
choose to install them, and even then, the impact on machine speed is
precisely zero until you actually choose to start those services.

By the way, desktop-oriented software packages tend on average to be
much bigger than server-oriented ones.

I have a whole bunch of server-related stuff installed on my Shuttle,
which I don't use on a regular basis. I only start the necessary
services I need for testing things out for software development. For
instance, I just installed some LDAP-related stuff, because I have a
client who has expressed an interest in using it, which means I have to
learn about it.

Chris Hope

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> MicroserfdomChooser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>People dont need unnecesary [server-related] stuff clogging up their
>>hard drives and slowing down their home computer

> Funny, most Linux distros, even desktop-oriented ones, come with
> exactly that stuff in the box. They don't "clog up hard drives" unless
> you choose to install them, and even then, the impact on machine speed
> is precisely zero until you actually choose to start those services.

That's all well and good, but you seem to be forgetting that MS makes
money from selling software licenses, and they like to differentiate
between "desktop" computers and "servers" so they can charge more for
the server versions.

[rest of comments snipped]

Sc00ter

On , , Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:33:13 +1200, Re: More stuff axed from
Longhorn, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>You could have stopped at the word slow and the above sentence would still
>>>be true.

>> Except that the word 'seem' would be a gross understatement.

>yeah, replace "seem" with "are"

He has a fold in his diaper that makes him post such inanities.
He gets a real kick out of people replying to his posts, it
justifies his sad existence.
His employment as a boot boy/night porter has turned his fagile
mind, that and huffing hot boot polish and mainling Jif.

--
"I ain't proud of much I done in my life and what I
am proud of is disgusting." - Moe, "The Simpsons"

Longhorn Wireless Diagnostics: What's important to you? Eddy Malik [MSFT] Wireless Networking 9 11-03-2004 05:53 PM
longhorn showgun MCSE 14 12-11-2003 08:37 AM
Longhorn David Mukaiwa MCSD 3 12-03-2003 11:10 PM
Anyone know where to get Longhorn OS? Nicholas gary MCSE 31 09-17-2003 05:41 PM

Advertisments