Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > More stuff axed from Longhorn

More stuff axed from Longhorn

Bling-Bling

Another example of serious slippage in the development of LongHorn.

Before too long the question will be: "how is LongHorn any different
from XP?".

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...56234&from=rss

Bling Bling

Chris Hope

Bling-Bling wrote:

> Another example of serious slippage in the development of LongHorn.
>
> Before too long the question will be: "how is LongHorn any different
> from XP?".
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...56234&from=rss

I thought they only just announced that new command shell the other day
and that it would take 3 to 5 years to implement. I don't recall seeing
anything about it ever being in Longhorn.

That being said, I don't get why it should take so long to create a half
way decent shell. Isn't MS supposed to have some pretty good
programmers?

Chris Hope

Bling-Bling wrote:

> Another example of serious slippage in the development of LongHorn.
>
> Before too long the question will be: "how is LongHorn any different
> from XP?".
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...56234&from=rss

Heh - I liked this quote from the /. discussion:

"What will Longhorn include that will make Windows 2000 or Windows XP
using businesses want to move? All of the technology that was supposed
to be Longhorn isn't Longhorn anymore."

xray spex

"Bling-Bling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.10.23.15.42.431957@TRACKER...
> Another example of serious slippage in the development of LongHorn.
>
> Before too long the question will be: "how is LongHorn any different
> from XP?".
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...56234&from=rss
>

> Bling Bling
>
> --
> IBM: "Linux is not just another operating system. It represents a
> collaboration of the best programmers in the industry coming together to
> create an operating system that works on any hardware platform."

Another poorly-researched news article from Slashdot. This is from an
interview at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...et_120704.mspx
and was published on December 24th 2004:

MSFT James Truher (Expert):
Q: Will MSH V1.0 be done before Longhorn?
A: Monad will ship as a feature of Exchange 12 in 2H06 (target).Monad will
ship in Windows after that. Release vehicle is undefined. Monad will support
WS03 SP1, XP SP2, Longhorn.

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:26:40 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

>> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...56234&from=rss

> Heh - I liked this quote from the /. discussion:
>
> "What will Longhorn include that will make Windows 2000 or Windows XP
> using businesses want to move? All of the technology that was supposed to
> be Longhorn isn't Longhorn anymore."

Yeah - good eh.

Bling Bling

--
Computers are like air conditioners -- they stop working properly if you
open WINDOWS

thing

Bling-Bling wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:26:40 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
>

>>>http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...56234&from=rss

>>Heh - I liked this quote from the /. discussion:
>>
>>"What will Longhorn include that will make Windows 2000 or Windows XP
>>using businesses want to move? All of the technology that was supposed to
>>be Longhorn isn't Longhorn anymore."

MS will stop supporting 2000 then XP......so businesses will have no
choice but to suffer the pain and $ loss.....

> Yeah - good eh.
>

> Bling Bling

Its fast becoming a DRM lock down and visual makeover and nothing more.
An early shot of it I saw looked like a poor relation to OSx 10.3/4 So
why wait you could get it today just buy a Mac, or even next year on an
Intel CPU....

One has to wonder what exactly MS is spending its programmers time
on......wait, we've been there......DRM lockdown and a fancy look........

regards

Thing

AD.

Chris Hope wrote:

> I thought they only just announced that new command shell the other day
> and that it would take 3 to 5 years to implement.

Nah it's not a newly announced thing, I remember seeing articles about
monad nearly a year ago now. It does look like a seriously cool shell -
the coverage calling it bash like is underrating it.

> I don't recall seeing anything about it ever being in Longhorn.
>
> That being said, I don't get why it should take so long to create a half
> way decent shell. Isn't MS supposed to have some pretty good
> programmers?

From memory I think they hired some open source devs from the Perl and
Haskell communities for this one.

The reason they take so long is they tend to want to tightly integrate
everything with everything else, and with everything growing in
complexity this gets harder and harder.

--
Cheers
Anton

Matthew Poole

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:24:29 +1200, someone purporting to be Chris Hope
didst scrawl:

> Bling-Bling wrote:

*SNIP*
> That being said, I don't get why it should take so long to create a half
> way decent shell. Isn't MS supposed to have some pretty good
> programmers?

Not only that, there are so many OSS examples they can utilise. Most of
them implemented under the BSD licence, so MS won't even have to go to the
trouble of re-writing them, they can just change the OS hooks and be done
with it.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Murray Symon

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:24:29 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

[snip]

> That being said, I don't get why it should take so long to create a half
> way decent shell. Isn't MS supposed to have some pretty good
> programmers?

Yes, but the programmers get their specifications from the PHB's ...

refer:
http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/di...ndex.html#boss

Murray.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <d8d7je$b14$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bling-Bling wrote:
>
>> Another example of serious slippage in the development of LongHorn.
>>
>> Before too long the question will be: "how is LongHorn any different
>> from XP?".
>>
>> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...56234&from=rss

>Heh - I liked this quote from the /. discussion:
>
>"What will Longhorn include that will make Windows 2000 or Windows XP
>using businesses want to move? All of the technology that was supposed
>to be Longhorn isn't Longhorn anymore."

Longhorn => Shorthorn => ??

Shorterhorn?
Hornless?

Longhorn Wireless Diagnostics: What's important to you? Eddy Malik [MSFT] Wireless Networking 9 11-03-2004 05:53 PM
longhorn showgun MCSE 14 12-11-2003 08:37 AM
Longhorn David Mukaiwa MCSD 3 12-03-2003 11:10 PM
Anyone know where to get Longhorn OS? Nicholas gary MCSE 31 09-17-2003 05:41 PM

Advertisments