Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Is Winxp independant of Dos?

Is Winxp independant of Dos?

J. Clarke

Gorm Braarvig wrote:

>>> Yeah, it was 13h that was BIOS disk access, not 10h. It has been a long
>>> long time.
>>> I never installed Windows 95. I didn't believe in it. I thought enough
>>> was
>>> enough with 3.1 and switched to NT. Good choice. I almost switched to
>>> Windows CE when it came, that would not have been a good choice.

>> Been difficult anyway, it never ran on x86 as far as I know--it was
>> always intended to be an embedded OS.

> for embedded, yes, but it came for x86 and was customizable. I was hoping
> to run it on my desktop (around version 2 I think...) , so that I could
> customize the OS. Now we have XP embedded for that use, anyway, I lost
> interest in custom Windows OS a while ago.

XP is customizable. All you have to do is shell out for a source license.
Back when NT was new it was something like 65K, not sure what it is now,
but they're available.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Gorm Braarvig

>>> Been difficult anyway, it never ran on x86 as far as I know--it was
>>> always intended to be an embedded OS.

>> for embedded, yes, but it came for x86 and was customizable. I was hoping
>> to run it on my desktop (around version 2 I think...) , so that I could
>> customize the OS. Now we have XP embedded for that use, anyway, I lost
>> interest in custom Windows OS a while ago.

> XP is customizable. All you have to do is shell out for a source license.
> Back when NT was new it was something like 65K, not sure what it is now,
> but they're available.

Starting at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/w...d/default.aspx you should
be able to download this tool you can create your own xp-versions in. Last
time I heard the story it went something like:
- the tool to create custom component-based XP-versions is free
- you can create free 120-day evaluation versions of custom XP
- you need to pay around $100-150 if you want a custom XP to use

Haven't tried it myself. Hope I get the time.