Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cringely on Apple

Cringely on Apple

-=rjh=-

Y'all seen Cringely's column about Apple this week?

The guy is speaking "ex recto"; he's lost the plot (worse than usual,
that is).

There's been some pretty uninformed and hasty comment on Apple's
announcement, but Cringely's is way out there.

Comments?

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42a953ab$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Y'all seen Cringely's column about Apple this week?

The one where he thinks it's going to be acquired by Intel?

I wonder if anyone else has thought of my idea that Apple is going to go
a Shuttle-style route.

-=rjh=-

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> In article <42a953ab$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Y'all seen Cringely's column about Apple this week?

> The one where he thinks it's going to be acquired by Intel?

Yep,

> I wonder if anyone else has thought of my idea that Apple is going to go
> a Shuttle-style route.

You mean, Apple case+M/B+OSX, the buyer or vendor adds drives, cpu,
memory etc?

I don't think so - Shuttles are aimed at a very small market - and Apple
will just want something that is an Apple, and well - just works OOB.
And Shuttles approach is *very* expensive. Also, Apple have to consider
their whole product line, which is quite diverse.

Brand is very important to them (look at ipod) and with their move into
direct retailing, they have to have Apple products to sell in their stores.

But, I wouldn't be too surprised if they at some stage introduced a
Shuttle form factor home multimedia system, sort of an Xbox360 without
the games. If they built in the whole audio and amplifier system, they
could have a very stylish and easy to use box that would complement the
ipods and where they are going with media. It could be a totally
integrated system with DRM and not even really behave like a PC. But I
think they've got enough work ahead of them for now.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42aa0540$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You mean, Apple case+M/B+OSX, the buyer or vendor adds drives, cpu,
>memory etc?
>
>I don't think so - Shuttles are aimed at a very small market - and Apple
>will just want something that is an Apple, and well - just works OOB.
>And Shuttles approach is *very* expensive.

1) Shuttle isn't that expensive. After seeing my box, a client of mine
bought two--one for his office and one for home.

2) There are cheaper brands than Shuttle.And some clever alternative
designs from Kloss etc.

3) Apple isn't exactly known for cut-price gear either, so it would be a
natural thing for it to compete at the higher--i.e. pricier--end of the
market.

The point is, where else is there for Apple to go? As Bruce Hoult
pointed out in another posting, there are just two companies left making
money from manufacturing their own built-up PCs--Apple and Dell. Dell
may last a little bit longer, but I think Apple's days of making a
profit from this sort of thing are numbered.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Y'all seen Cringely's column about Apple this week?
>
> The guy is speaking "ex recto"; he's lost the plot (worse than usual,
> that is).
>
> There's been some pretty uninformed and hasty comment on Apple's
> announcement, but Cringely's is way out there.
>
> Comments?

I loved it, and within reason it could possibly happen... what is that
saying... ah yes..."eventually all stories come true"

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> The point is, where else is there for Apple to go?

Cell phones, PDAs... theres plenty of markets where flashy goods makes
people buy it.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>
>> The point is, where else is there for Apple to go?

>Cell phones, PDAs... theres plenty of markets where flashy goods makes
>people buy it.

PDAs are a dead end. And the cell phone market is already sewn up by
trendy companies like Nokia and Sony-Ericsson. Apple would be coming in
from way behind, into a market that it knows nothing about.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>>>The point is, where else is there for Apple to go?

>>Cell phones, PDAs... theres plenty of markets where flashy goods makes
>>people buy it.

> PDAs are a dead end. And the cell phone market is already sewn up by
> trendy companies like Nokia and Sony-Ericsson. Apple would be coming in
> from way behind, into a market that it knows nothing about.

you mean like they did with the MP3 player market?

Bruce Sinclair

>>>Cell phones, PDAs... theres plenty of markets where flashy goods makes
>>>people buy it.

>> PDAs are a dead end. And the cell phone market is already sewn up by
>> trendy companies like Nokia and Sony-Ericsson. Apple would be coming in
>> from way behind, into a market that it knows nothing about.

>you mean like they did with the MP3 player market?

Yep. There is something to be said for approaching something with an open
mind ... lack of tradition can be a good thing

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

Alastair McAllister

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:

>> PDAs are a dead end. And the cell phone market is already sewn up by
>> trendy companies like Nokia and Sony-Ericsson. Apple would be coming
>> in from way behind, into a market that it knows nothing about.

> you mean like they did with the MP3 player market?

Before the iPod, digital music players were little more than a geek toy
and Apple's role was to bring them into the mass market. A phone, on the
other hand, is something that almost everyone already owns and growth in
this market will continue to be dominated by the existing mainstream
manufacturers.

Most people accept that iPods won't be a must-have forever, because we
are gradually starting to see the merging of phones, PDAs, cameras, and
music players into single devices. Apple will need to decide whether
they want a slice of this market or not, and the next revolution in the
iPod product line will be indicative of this.

Many of us will remember that Apple used to produce digital cameras, but
they pulled out of this market as soon as the mainstream Japanese camera
manufacturers started to overtake them. Will the same happen to the iPod?
Only time will tell.

--
Regards, Alastair.
Wellington, New Zealand

My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
posting.