Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can Dimdows do this...

Can Dimdows do this...

FreedomChooser

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:08:39 +1200, Bling-Bling
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:22:02 +1200, FreedomChooser wrote:
>
>>>Right. The Third Party software understands ext2 & 3, not Windoze.

>> Windows understands it with additional software.

>Windoze needs a translator.

Add on drivers
Like most

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>>>If I can find a spare HDD to play with, I'll try it out. Is there a limit
>>>to how many partitions an HDD's MBR can reference?

>>I got bored one days and partitioned my USB flash drive into 2MB
>>partitions, I got to ~40 before I got bored.

> Shame you don't have command-line tools you can use to write a script to
> automate a task like that.

I do, but my day was boring, so I did it manually, **** you're abrasive
to deal with.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

AD.

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:39:35 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:

>>>You mean the Dimdows directory-mounting/splicing using SUBST/JOIN etc?
>>>Last I heard there were severe limitations on that, like being unable to
>>>do a SUBST on a SUBST etc.

>>How many hands removed from an authoritative source was that

<snip>

> In other words, you can't stack multiple JOINs/SUBSTs.

Irrelevant.

a) Directory mounting in W2K and later isn't done with JOIN or SUBST.

b) There is no JOIN in NT. And DOS/Win9x doesn't do drive letter
less directory mounting anyway.

c) SUBST does nothing like directory mounting. ie it turns a directory
into a drive letter, rather than a filesystem into a directory.

--
Cheers
Anton

Scooter

On , , Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:46:33 +1200, Re: Can Dimdows do
this..., Lawrence DčOliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand>
wrote:

>But what proportion of Dimdows software will accept those UNC names with
>no drive letters?

Your grasp upon aduldhood must be pretty precarious if you need
to disparage an operating system with such a childish epithet
each time you post about it.
--
Opinions expressed are only my own. The above post may
or may not contain one or more of the following: sarcasm,

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Scooter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On , , Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:46:33 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand>
>wrote:
>
>>But what proportion of Dimdows software will accept those UNC names with
>>no drive letters?

>Your grasp upon aduldhood must be pretty precarious if you need
>to disparage an operating system with such a childish epithet
>each time you post about it.

It really does push those buttons, doesn't it?

Dimdows! Dimdows! Dimdows!

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:00:18 +1200, Lawrence DÂčOliveiro wrote:

> It really does push those buttons, doesn't it?
>
> Dimdows! Dimdows! Dimdows!

LOL!

"Dimdows" - the operating system for idiots.

Bling Bling

--
Groklaw: "Seriously, the problem Microsoft has with its FUD is this: it waited
too long. Too many solid, upstanding, capitalist corporations now believe in

Porky

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:20:28 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:00:18 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>
>> It really does push those buttons, doesn't it?
>>
>> Dimdows! Dimdows! Dimdows!

> LOL!
>
> "Dimdows" - the operating system for idiots.
>

> Bling Bling

LOL .... what does that make you ...

shannon

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:

> Dimdows! Dimdows! Dimdows!

Lunix! Lunix! Lunix!

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42b5e91f$(E-Mail Removed)>, shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>
>> Dimdows! Dimdows! Dimdows!

>Lunix! Lunix! Lunix!

<http://hld.c64.org/poldi/lunix/lunix.html>
<http://lng.sourceforge.net/>

Heh-heh-heh...

Bling-Bling

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:49:52 +1200, Porky wrote:

>> "Dimdows" - the operating system for idiots.
>>

> LOL .... what does that make you ...

A Unix & Linux user!

Bling Bling