Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows Update - One for Brett Roberts

Windows Update - One for Brett Roberts

Graeme Woollett

I'm writing this after having to ressurect a Windows machine that
trashed itself twice before I traced the problem to a most probably
dodgy PSU, and having to each time download SP2 and all manner of
hotfixes. So much for Windows wonderful journalling FS.
Thankyou MS for blowing my cable data cap for the month!!
And Yes I was too tight to spend a few clams on Norton Ghost.(Funny how
the Yanks get it for $US69.95 and we pay $NZ166....)

WHY does Microsoft insist on all updates coming from a server based in
the US?
WHY does Microsoft make it so (insert your favourite swearword here)
%$&^ difficult to cache the updates for XP so internet usage on small
sites can be minimised? (No I don't have NT server to run SUS on)

I get charged 10% for national traffic and 100% for intl on my cable
connection.

IMHO MS could learn a LOT from Linux Distros like Debian where all files
are available from servers inside NZ.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Graeme Woollett wrote:
> WHY does Microsoft insist on all updates coming from a server based in
> the US?

It doesn't, it is farmed out to akmai technologies, who load balance it
out to all over the world, if the NZ server(run/hosted by Xtra?) is
busy, it'll try the next closest etc until it finds one willing to
accept it.

> WHY does Microsoft make it so (insert your favourite swearword here)
> %$&^ difficult to cache the updates for XP so internet usage on small
> sites can be minimised? (No I don't have NT server to run SUS on)

it doesnt, akmai does, so I guess MS outsource the problem... if you
want it, I have it(sp2) here, check /files on dave.net.nz pretty sure it
is there somewhere, if not, I can up load it for you on Monday(going
home now).

> I get charged 10% for national traffic and 100% for intl on my cable
> connection.

thats not MS's fault... thats yours for chosing to go with paradise...
hang on, paraside, all servers will be intl for you, thats telstras
fault, have a google for the next line
"telstra de-peer" site:nz

> IMHO MS could learn a LOT from Linux Distros like Debian where all files
> are available from servers inside NZ.

those nz sites are also intl to you anyway... see my paragraph above.

AD.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:19:30 +1200, Graeme Woollett wrote:

> IMHO MS could learn a LOT from Linux Distros like Debian where all files
> are available from servers inside NZ.

It's not exactly learning from Linux distros. Those mirrors are only there
because certain dedicated people are willing to provide locally hosted
content at their own expense. Some are even trying hard to build a
critical mass of NZ based content and peering exchanges so we can be a
little more self sufficient and less reliant on nasty telcos and their
political games.

Thanks Citylink (and others of course)

--
Cheers
Anton

E. Scrooge

"Graeme Woollett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d8b4cf$5v8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm writing this after having to ressurect a Windows machine that
> trashed itself twice before I traced the problem to a most probably
> dodgy PSU, and having to each time download SP2 and all manner of
> hotfixes. So much for Windows wonderful journalling FS.
> Thankyou MS for blowing my cable data cap for the month!!
> And Yes I was too tight to spend a few clams on Norton Ghost.(Funny how
> the Yanks get it for $US69.95 and we pay $NZ166....)
>
> WHY does Microsoft insist on all updates coming from a server based in
> the US?
> WHY does Microsoft make it so (insert your favourite swearword here)
> %$&^ difficult to cache the updates for XP so internet usage on small
> sites can be minimised? (No I don't have NT server to run SUS on)
>
> I get charged 10% for national traffic and 100% for intl on my cable
> connection.
>
> IMHO MS could learn a LOT from Linux Distros like Debian where all files
> are available from servers inside NZ.

So your dodgy PC is all MS fault.
Get a decent PC instead of farting round with upgrades on junk.

You might like to try asking for a SP2 CD that will have most the updates on
it.

Millions of other people with good working PCs don't have MS update
problems.

E. Scrooge

Graeme Woollett

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Graeme Woollett wrote:
>
>> WHY does Microsoft insist on all updates coming from a server based in
>> the US?

> It doesn't, it is farmed out to akmai technologies, who load balance it
> out to all over the world, if the NZ server(run/hosted by Xtra?) is
> busy, it'll try the next closest etc until it finds one willing to
> accept it.
>
>> WHY does Microsoft make it so (insert your favourite swearword here)
>> %$&^ difficult to cache the updates for XP so internet usage on small
>> sites can be minimised? (No I don't have NT server to run SUS on)

> it doesnt, akmai does, so I guess MS outsource the problem... if you
> want it, I have it(sp2) here, check /files on dave.net.nz pretty sure it
> is there somewhere, if not, I can up load it for you on Monday(going
> home now).
>
>> I get charged 10% for national traffic and 100% for intl on my cable
>> connection.

> thats not MS's fault... thats yours for chosing to go with paradise...
> hang on, paraside, all servers will be intl for you, thats telstras
> fault, have a google for the next line
> "telstra de-peer" site:nz
>
>> IMHO MS could learn a LOT from Linux Distros like Debian where all files
>> are available from servers inside NZ.

> those nz sites are also intl to you anyway... see my paragraph above.

Not quite true, debian.co.nz and ihug are still both still charged as
national, traceroute b4 you leap. But if paradise de-peers from APE
your statement will then be correct.

And don't get me started on Telstra depeering... %$&$* Telstra...

Still in the good old days of NT4 (Maybe 2000 as well) you could
manually download and keep the big updates.

Graeme Woollett

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Graeme Woollett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d8b4cf$5v8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I'm writing this after having to ressurect a Windows machine that
>>trashed itself twice before I traced the problem to a most probably
>>dodgy PSU, and having to each time download SP2 and all manner of
>>hotfixes. So much for Windows wonderful journalling FS.
>>Thankyou MS for blowing my cable data cap for the month!!
>>And Yes I was too tight to spend a few clams on Norton Ghost.(Funny how
>>the Yanks get it for $US69.95 and we pay $NZ166....)
>>
>>WHY does Microsoft insist on all updates coming from a server based in
>>the US?
>>WHY does Microsoft make it so (insert your favourite swearword here)
>>%$&^ difficult to cache the updates for XP so internet usage on small
>>sites can be minimised? (No I don't have NT server to run SUS on)
>>
>>I get charged 10% for national traffic and 100% for intl on my cable
>>connection.
>>
>>IMHO MS could learn a LOT from Linux Distros like Debian where all files
>>are available from servers inside NZ.

> So your dodgy PC is all MS fault.

> Get a decent PC instead of farting round with upgrades on junk.

A truly stupid statement.
> You might like to try asking for a SP2 CD that will have most the updates on
> it.
>
> Millions of other people with good working PCs don't have MS update
> problems.
>
> E. Scrooge

I never said the PSU was their fault, but I am critisizing the way in
which the fixes are not easily cacheable. And yes I agree, a 1yr old
PSU is bound to be old junk.

Gordon

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:07:46 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:

> "Graeme Woollett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d8b4cf$5v8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm writing this after having to ressurect a Windows machine that
>> trashed itself twice before I traced the problem to a most probably
>> dodgy PSU, and having to each time download SP2 and all manner of
>> hotfixes. So much for Windows wonderful journalling FS.
>> Thankyou MS for blowing my cable data cap for the month!!
>> And Yes I was too tight to spend a few clams on Norton Ghost.(Funny how
>> the Yanks get it for $US69.95 and we pay $NZ166....)
>>
>> WHY does Microsoft insist on all updates coming from a server based in
>> the US?
>> WHY does Microsoft make it so (insert your favourite swearword here)
>> %$&^ difficult to cache the updates for XP so internet usage on small
>> sites can be minimised? (No I don't have NT server to run SUS on)
>>
>> I get charged 10% for national traffic and 100% for intl on my cable
>> connection.
>>
>> IMHO MS could learn a LOT from Linux Distros like Debian where all files
>> are available from servers inside NZ.

> So your dodgy PC is all MS fault.
> Get a decent PC instead of farting round with upgrades on junk.
>
> You might like to try asking for a SP2 CD that will have most the updates on
> it.
>
> Millions of other people with good working PCs don't have MS update
> problems.

Well, interesting stuff. Let us leave the dodgy PC aside. We have a suite
of windows OS pc. Now how to update them? A cache would be handy.

shannon

AD. wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:19:30 +1200, Graeme Woollett wrote:
>

>>IMHO MS could learn a LOT from Linux Distros like Debian where all files
>>are available from servers inside NZ.

> It's not exactly learning from Linux distros. Those mirrors are only there
> because certain dedicated people are willing to provide locally hosted
> content at their own expense. Some are even trying hard to build a
> critical mass of NZ based content and peering exchanges so we can be a
> little more self sufficient and less reliant on nasty telcos and their
> political games.
>
> Thanks Citylink (and others of course)

But not Telstra clear paradise

Tony

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:19:30 +1200, Graeme Woollett <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm writing this after having to ressurect a Windows machine that
>trashed itself twice before I traced the problem to a most probably
>dodgy PSU, and having to each time download SP2 and all manner of
>hotfixes. So much for Windows wonderful journalling FS.
>Thankyou MS for blowing my cable data cap for the month!!
>And Yes I was too tight to spend a few clams on Norton Ghost.(Funny how
>the Yanks get it for $US69.95 and we pay $NZ166....)
>
>WHY does Microsoft insist on all updates coming from a server based in
>the US?
>WHY does Microsoft make it so (insert your favourite swearword here)
>%$&^ difficult to cache the updates for XP so internet usage on small
>sites can be minimised? (No I don't have NT server to run SUS on)
>
>I get charged 10% for national traffic and 100% for intl on my cable
>connection.
>
>IMHO MS could learn a LOT from Linux Distros like Debian where all files
>are available from servers inside NZ.

In the Bad or Good old Days, MS had a Corporate link that let you dnload all
the updates separately..

This allowed firms with 100's of PC's to dnload the Updates Only once..

How do Corporate uses with lots of PC's do it now..?

Craig Shore

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:15:29 +1200, Graeme Woollett <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>E. Scrooge wrote:
>> "Graeme Woollett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:d8b4cf$5v8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I'm writing this after having to ressurect a Windows machine that
>>>trashed itself twice before I traced the problem to a most probably
>>>dodgy PSU, and having to each time download SP2 and all manner of
>>>hotfixes. So much for Windows wonderful journalling FS.
>>>Thankyou MS for blowing my cable data cap for the month!!
>>>And Yes I was too tight to spend a few clams on Norton Ghost.(Funny how
>>>the Yanks get it for $US69.95 and we pay $NZ166....)
>>>
>>>WHY does Microsoft insist on all updates coming from a server based in
>>>the US?
>>>WHY does Microsoft make it so (insert your favourite swearword here)
>>>%$&^ difficult to cache the updates for XP so internet usage on small
>>>sites can be minimised? (No I don't have NT server to run SUS on)
>>>
>>>I get charged 10% for national traffic and 100% for intl on my cable
>>>connection.
>>>
>>>IMHO MS could learn a LOT from Linux Distros like Debian where all files
>>>are available from servers inside NZ.

>> So your dodgy PC is all MS fault.

>> Get a decent PC instead of farting round with upgrades on junk.
>>

>A truly stupid statement.
>> You might like to try asking for a SP2 CD that will have most the updates on
>> it.
>>
>> Millions of other people with good working PCs don't have MS update
>> problems.
>>
>> E. Scrooge
>>

>I never said the PSU was their fault, but I am critisizing the way in
>which the fixes are not easily cacheable. And yes I agree, a 1yr old
>PSU is bound to be old junk.

You can download the one or IT Pros. It's 272391 KB