Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows Update - One for Brett Roberts

Windows Update - One for Brett Roberts

H.O.G

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 08:42:37 +1200, MaximumDamage <(E-Mail Removed)>
spoke these fine words:

>H.O.G wrote:
>>
>> Why do people keep saying they can't cache updates? Take a look at
>> Windows Catalog.

>Could you be more specific about where it is on the Windows catalog
>site? It isn't that obvious to me.
>It appears to be a reference for general bits of software that are logo
>certified for Windows.
>Can you specify a fully qualified URL where the archive downloadable
>Hotfix and SPs are?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Downloads/default.mspx
(Select "By Operating System")

or

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

MaximumDamage

H.O.G wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 08:42:37 +1200, MaximumDamage <(E-Mail Removed)>
> spoke these fine words:
>

>>H.O.G wrote:
>>
>>>Why do people keep saying they can't cache updates? Take a look at
>>>Windows Catalog.

>>Could you be more specific about where it is on the Windows catalog
>>site? It isn't that obvious to me.
>>It appears to be a reference for general bits of software that are logo
>>certified for Windows.
>>Can you specify a fully qualified URL where the archive downloadable
>>Hotfix and SPs are?

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Downloads/default.mspx
> (Select "By Operating System")
>
> or
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

Thanks H.O.G. Just what I needed.

Nick MacKechnie \(thenet\)

"MaximumDamage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42aa1b21$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Downloads/default.mspx
>> (Select "By Operating System")
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

> Thanks H.O.G. Just what I needed.

The other thing to consider is having a Windows Update (WSUS) server
installed locally on you LAN - so it syncs with Windows update and then
clients sync off it -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx -
This new version was RTW (Released to Web) this week (6th of June US Time)

Nick.

MaximumDamage

Nick MacKechnie (thenet) wrote:
> "MaximumDamage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42aa1b21$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Downloads/default.mspx
>>>(Select "By Operating System")
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

>>Thanks H.O.G. Just what I needed.

> The other thing to consider is having a Windows Update (WSUS) server
> installed locally on you LAN - so it syncs with Windows update and then
> clients sync off it -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx -
> This new version was RTW (Released to Web) this week (6th of June US Time)
>
> Nick.

Prerequisites

You must install the Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) 2.0
before installing the WSUS server. BITS 2.0 lets you download updates in
the background using available network bandwidth.

MSDE2000a, WMSDE, or SQL Server 2000 with SP3 is required. See the
Deployment Guide for complete installation instructions. WMSDE is for
Windows Server 2003 only and is included in the WSUS download.

I don't know how much Server 2003 costs, but something tells me I don't
want to ...

shannon

MaximumDamage wrote:
> Nick MacKechnie (thenet) wrote:
>
>> "MaximumDamage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:42aa1b21$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks H.O.G. Just what I needed.

>> The other thing to consider is having a Windows Update (WSUS) server
>> installed locally on you LAN - so it syncs with Windows update and
>> then clients sync off it -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
>> - This new version was RTW (Released to Web) this week (6th of June
>> US Time)
>>
>> Nick.
>>

> Prerequisites
>
> You must install the Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) 2.0
> before installing the WSUS server. BITS 2.0 lets you download updates in
> the background using available network bandwidth.
>
> MSDE2000a, WMSDE, or SQL Server 2000 with SP3 is required. See the
> Deployment Guide for complete installation instructions. WMSDE is for
> Windows Server 2003 only and is included in the WSUS download.
>
> I don't know how much Server 2003 costs, but something tells me I don't
> want to ...

Standard Edition OEM 5 clients $1218.94

MaximumDamage

shannon wrote:
> MaximumDamage wrote:
>
>> Nick MacKechnie (thenet) wrote:
>>
>>> "MaximumDamage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:42aa1b21$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The other thing to consider is having a Windows Update (WSUS) server
>>> installed locally on you LAN - so it syncs with Windows update and
>>> then clients sync off it -
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
>>> - This new version was RTW (Released to Web) this week (6th of June
>>> US Time)
>>>
>>> Nick.
>>>

>> Prerequisites
>> You must install the Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS)
>> 2.0 before installing the WSUS server. BITS 2.0 lets you download
>> updates in the background using available network bandwidth.
>> MSDE2000a, WMSDE, or SQL Server 2000 with SP3 is required. See the
>> Deployment Guide for complete installation instructions. WMSDE is for
>> Windows Server 2003 only and is included in the WSUS download.
>>
>> I don't know how much Server 2003 costs, but something tells me I
>> don't want to ...

> Standard Edition OEM 5 clients $1218.94
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=115487

Yep, thought so, too used to getting it for Free with Linux

xray spex

"MaximumDamage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42aa85d2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> shannon wrote:
>> MaximumDamage wrote:

>>> Prerequisites
>>> • You must install the Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS)
>>> 2.0 before installing the WSUS server. BITS 2.0 lets you download
>>> updates in the background using available network bandwidth.
>>> • MSDE2000a, WMSDE, or SQL Server 2000 with SP3 is required. See the
>>> Deployment Guide for complete installation instructions. WMSDE is for
>>> Windows Server 2003 only and is included in the WSUS download.
>>>
>>> I don't know how much Server 2003 costs, but something tells me I don't
>>> want to ...

>> Standard Edition OEM 5 clients $1218.94
>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=115487

> Yep, thought so, too used to getting it for Free with Linux

MSDE2000a is free http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/downloads/default.asp
and so is SQL Server Express Edition
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/sql/

Nick MacKechnie \(thenet\)

"MaximumDamage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:<42aa5910$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Prerequisites

Well MSDE is free as is SQL Express, BITS is also a free download. If you
don’t have Server 2003, then you will either have to purchase it or stick to
the current methodogy of patching etc

Nick

MaximumDamage

Nick MacKechnie (thenet) wrote:
> "MaximumDamage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<42aa5910$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>

>>Prerequisites

> Well MSDE is free as is SQL Express, BITS is also a free download. If you
> don’t have Server 2003, then you will either have to purchase it or stick to
> the current methodogy of patching etc
>
> Nick
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Downloads/default.mspx
> (Select "By Operating System")
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

As said b4

Thanks H.O.G. Just what I needed.

H.O.G

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:42:34 +1200, MaximumDamage <(E-Mail Removed)>
spoke these fine words:

>Nick MacKechnie (thenet) wrote:
>> "MaximumDamage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:<42aa5910$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>>

>>>Prerequisites

>> Well MSDE is free as is SQL Express, BITS is also a free download. If you
>> don’t have Server 2003, then you will either have to purchase it or stick to
>> the current methodogy of patching etc
>>
>> Nick
>>

> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Downloads/default.mspx
> > (Select "By Operating System")
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

>As said b4
>

>Thanks H.O.G. Just what I needed.

No worries at all.

It kinda makes sense to download the upgrades, even if you have only
one machine (can archive them in case you need to do a reinstall).

I have, however, often thought that MS should keep a single "Critical
Updates since last Service Pack" download available, that they update
whenever there is a critical update. Would make life a lot easier.