Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Free file hosting?

Free file hosting?

-=rjh=-

Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the lines
of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It is a
little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.

Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present

TIA

Rob

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42a904f9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the lines
> of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It is a
> little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.
>
> Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present
>
> TIA

You don't get much for nothing these days and you pay for what you get. How
much diskspace were you after, as orcon used to provide free diskspace,
although I am not sure if they still do.

Ripping Silk

http://www.myfilestash.com

maybe what you need ?

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the lines
> of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It is a
> little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.
>
> Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present
>
> TIA

DuoServers Web Hosting

2.5GB 60 USD yearly
4.0GB 120 USD yearly

Please follow link in my signature to see full plan details.
Regards,

--
é”˜ç·żuoservers Web Hosting
http://www.duoservers.com/?r=lionel2

-=rjh=-

Ripping Silk wrote:
> http://www.myfilestash.com
>
> maybe what you need ?
>
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>> Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the
>> lines of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It
>> is a little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.
>>
>> Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present
>>
>> TIA

Yup, that's the kind of thing. I'll see how they look. Thanks.

JC

In article <42a904f9$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the lines
> of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It is a
> little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.
>
> Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present
>
> TIA

http://www.ripway.com/

-=rjh=-

Rob wrote:
> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42a904f9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Currently looking for some free file hosting - something along the lines
>>of the many image hosting sites that are the current trend. It is a
>>little harder to find similar hosting for newsletter .pdfs.
>>
>>Any suggestions? (5gigs.com isn't accepting new accounts at present
>>
>>TIA

> You don't get much for nothing these days and you pay for what you get. How
> much diskspace were you after, as orcon used to provide free diskspace,
> although I am not sure if they still do.

You get an awful lot for free these days - if you know where to look.
Flickr and blogspot (or blogger+hello) are good examples of this. I'm
already using both of the above, and looking for something to fill in
the last pieces to the puzzle.

Orcon dropped their free webhosting recently unfortunately, and I
already have an account with them - but the storage space (10MB) is full

Something that is ISP independent might be better anyway. Something like
5gigs sounds OK, although I've never used them.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <1118375447.169776@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You don't get much for nothing these days and you pay for what you get.

Disk space costs peanuts to provide these days, hence free gigabyte
e-mail accounts.

Internet bandwidth, on the other hand, still costs money.

Rob

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <1118375447.169776@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >You don't get much for nothing these days and you pay for what you get.

> Disk space costs peanuts to provide these days, hence free gigabyte
> e-mail accounts.
>
> Internet bandwidth, on the other hand, still costs money.

Bandwidth in the US isn't much compared to here. The biggest cost is the
staff to run the servers and to keep it all ticking over. The infrastructure
of the network also costs, as does power etc.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <1118897975.389841@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <1118375447.169776@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >You don't get much for nothing these days and you pay for what you get.

>> Disk space costs peanuts to provide these days, hence free gigabyte
>> e-mail accounts.
>>
>> Internet bandwidth, on the other hand, still costs money.

>Bandwidth in the US isn't much compared to here.

Once upon a time, the US used to insist that other countries pay for the
privilege of having a connection to _it_, rather than _it_ pay any part
of the cost of connecting to _them_. I wonder if that still applies?

>The biggest cost is the
>staff to run the servers and to keep it all ticking over. The infrastructure
>of the network also costs, as does power etc.

Yes, but most of those costs vary very little as a function of the
amount of storage space you're offering.