Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Good price deals in NZ?

Good price deals in NZ?

Mark.

Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons for better deals on
IT gear here in NZ?

It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

The Other Guy

Mark. wrote:
> Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons for better deals on
> IT gear here in NZ?
>
> It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
> competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

I very much doubt anyone who is technically competent enough to make it
here actually pays retail prices for their IT gear. Large retailers with
huge markups can offer discounts, but the reality is most IT gear sold
here has bugger-all profit for the people selling it to you. Margins for
online stores are only around 4%.

NZ gets less selection, buys in lower volume, and the market is
dominated by a small group of distributors.

The Other Guy

Chris Hope

Mark. wrote:

> Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or
> http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons
> for better deals on IT gear here in NZ?
>
> It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
> competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

No discount codes but you can search for the "best" price here:
www.pricespy.co.nz

Tony

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, "Mark."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons for better deals on
>IT gear here in NZ?
>
>It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
>competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

Yes but we are a Small country, Sheep do not Buy IT gear.

Plus NZ can't deal direct with the manufactures as the volumes are to low.

H.O.G

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, "Mark."
<(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine
words:

>Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons for better deals on
>IT gear here in NZ?
>
>It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
>competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

You do realise that most retailers would be paying you to take it away
if they offered much more of a discount?

Half of the online ones are already - they just don't realise it.

It's about time some pressure was applied to consumers to realise that
if they buy cheap, they get ****.

Impossible

"H.O.G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, "Mark."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine
> words:
>
>>Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or
>>http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons
>>for better deals on
>>IT gear here in NZ?
>>
>>It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
>>competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

The problem is really with the manufacturers. You'd think there would
be a single global market in computer gear with a globally competive
price fixed by supply and demand. This would be the case if online
sales and distribution channels worked better. Instead what we have
are geographically segmented markets in which wholesale and retail
distributors are given certain natural monopolies to fix prices at a
level that will return premiums to the manufacturers as well as small
(or not so small) profits to the various middlemen.

> You do realise that most retailers would be paying you to take it
> away
> if they offered much more of a discount?
>

> Half of the online ones are already - they just don't realise it.

Think of the "volume discount" available to US distributors as the
global market price -- the baseline. Prices offered then to
distributors elsewhere -- Europe, NZ, wherever -- will be scaled
upwards from that baseline according to a formula that is as much
strategic as it is mathematical: manufacturers fetch higher prices for
their goods from NZ distributors, and NZ distributors pass them along
to consumers, because they can get away with it in a non-competitive
environment. Simple as that. One of the cleverer bits to the scheme is
the invention of new model numbers for products distributed outside
the US, which makes it very difficult for consumers to actually know
what they're paying more for.

> It's about time some pressure was applied to consumers to realise
> that
> if they buy cheap, they get ****.

Retailers apply that pressure all the time. Truth is, as anyone who
browses the net can see for themselves, it's not the case.

Scooter

On , , Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, Good price deals in NZ?,
"Mark." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons for better deals on
>IT gear here in NZ?
>
>It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
>competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

If you can buy as much as the retailers in the US do I am sure
they will give you the same kind of discounts.

--
Opinions expressed are only my own. The above
post may or may not contain one or more of the

Impossible

"Scooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On , , Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, Good price deals in NZ?,
> "Mark." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or
>>http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons
>>for better deals on
>>IT gear here in NZ?
>>
>>It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
>>competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

> If you can buy as much as the retailers in the US do I am sure
> they will give you the same kind of discounts.

Distributors get volume discounts and other deals all the time. The
issue is whether they pass the savings along to consumers. In NZ,
where retail competition is limited, there is much less incentive for
anyone to do so.

Scooter

On , , Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:05:46 -0400, Re: Good price deals in
NZ?, "Impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Scooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On , , Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, Good price deals in NZ?,
>> "Mark." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or
>>>http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons
>>>for better deals on
>>>IT gear here in NZ?
>>>
>>>It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
>>>competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

>> If you can buy as much as the retailers in the US do I am sure
>> they will give you the same kind of discounts.
>>

>Distributors get volume discounts and other deals all the time.

But nothing like the discounts available to the purchasers in the
USA. For example the difference between purchasing say 10 and
10,000.