Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TV tuner / PVR cards

TV tuner / PVR cards

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <42a78bd6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I miss
>not having hardware encoding, but my Athlon64 rig in Linux is grunty
>enough that ffmpeg can do full-res PAL recording to MPEG-2 with 48k
>sound, in realtime...

What about simply capturing in FireWire DV format? High disk space usage
(about 12GB/hour), but very low capturing/playback overhead. Also very
easy to edit afterwards if you want to save stuff to DVD.

shannon

big cat wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:08:19 GMT, "nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"xray spex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:wtzpe.5994$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs
>>>to hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching
>>>them. There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality,
>>>does anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
>>>
>>>thanks

>>Honestly, get a Hauppauge PVR150. It's not the cheapest card available in
>>New Zealand, but at about $230 it'll provide you much more enjoyment than
>>all the cheaper cards available. This Hauppauge card is very mainstream, and
>>has very good support from the application development community. Buying a
>>PixelView or other cheap no brand capture device will leave you continually
>>hunting for software that works with your device, and you'll be disappointed
>>with the quality of support your device gets from application developers.
>>
>>The PVR150 has an onboard MPEG2 encoder mean you'll only consume about 2%
>>CPU while recording. It works with common PVR applications including Windows
>>Media Center Edition, MythTV, SageTV, GB-PVR, BeyondTV etc.
>>
>>Some could say I'm biased, as I'm the developer of a PVR app called GB-PVR
>>(see www.gbpvr.com). Like most PVR applications, its designed for Hauppauge
>>PVR150/250/350/500. Even though it does generally work with many of the
>>clone devices that use the same reference design, if these users of
>>encounter problems with the non-mainstream devices, they're pretty much have
>>to solve the problem themselves.
>>
>>Think very carefully before buying any of these cheaper devices, and know
>>what you getting yourself into...
>>
>>Good luck.
>>

> May be you should read this review before you spout off about cheap cards
>
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/
>
> They have also brought at a 7200 model.

Wow, a Russian review.

I like the idea of using the Hauppauge card at my PC with the Hauppauge
MediaMVP as a player, and actally being able to programme what gets
captured from the TV and remote with gppvr, its definitely worth a look,
it means I only have to run cat5 to the TV.

I think the OP offered good advice, these PVR systems are only as good
as the software available for them.

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <42a78bd6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I miss
>>not having hardware encoding, but my Athlon64 rig in Linux is grunty
>>enough that ffmpeg can do full-res PAL recording to MPEG-2 with 48k
>>sound, in realtime...

> What about simply capturing in FireWire DV format? High disk space usage
> (about 12GB/hour), but very low capturing/playback overhead. Also very
> easy to edit afterwards if you want to save stuff to DVD.

I was helping a mate with a microscope - it has a camera attachment, we stuck a
camcorder there being that we wanted to get motion into a computer (was jewlery
related) - anyway, at the end of it, we got more information and a better image
off svideo into a bt878 card then firewire.

Given a really tight texture, the dv codec just cant cope

nospam

"big cat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:08:19 GMT, "nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"xray spex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:wtzpe.5994$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs
>>> to hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching
>>> them. There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality,
>>> does anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience
>>> ?
>>>
>>> thanks

>>Honestly, get a Hauppauge PVR150. It's not the cheapest card available in
>>New Zealand, but at about $230 it'll provide you much more enjoyment than
>>all the cheaper cards available. This Hauppauge card is very mainstream,
>>and
>>has very good support from the application development community. Buying a
>>PixelView or other cheap no brand capture device will leave you
>>continually
>>hunting for software that works with your device, and you'll be
>>disappointed
>>with the quality of support your device gets from application developers.
>>
>>The PVR150 has an onboard MPEG2 encoder mean you'll only consume about 2%
>>CPU while recording. It works with common PVR applications including
>>Windows
>>Media Center Edition, MythTV, SageTV, GB-PVR, BeyondTV etc.
>>
>>Some could say I'm biased, as I'm the developer of a PVR app called GB-PVR
>>(see www.gbpvr.com). Like most PVR applications, its designed for
>>Hauppauge
>>PVR150/250/350/500. Even though it does generally work with many of the
>>clone devices that use the same reference design, if these users of
>>encounter problems with the non-mainstream devices, they're pretty much
>>have
>>to solve the problem themselves.
>>
>>Think very carefully before buying any of these cheaper devices, and know
>>what you getting yourself into...
>>
>>Good luck.
>>

> May be you should read this review before you spout off about cheap cards
>
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/
>
> They have also brought at a 7200 model.

I actually have one of these cards, and about 25 other capture devices. I
wouldnt waste my money on this device, and I certainly wouldnt recommend any
one else does.

Its based on the same Conexant reference design as the Hauppauge PVR250, so
in theory should be quite capable of capturing decent MPEG2 files. In
practice, I found the drivers more flakey than the Hauppauge ones, and the
card does not work with many PVR applications, so will provide you very
limited option for what software you can run. Also the software that came
with this device is very average, as is the case with most capture device
(incl hauppauge), so you'll instantly be looking for some better software.

Mutlley

big cat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:56:18 +1200, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Get one with Hardware Encoding, this frees up the computer..
>>>

>>>Like this one and very Cheap
>>>

>>>http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/
>>>
>>>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/product...0c6ccfe0c9eeaf
>>>

>>>Web site
>>>

>>>http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/(E-Mail Removed)
>>>

>>>And a later model
>>>

>>>PixelView PlayTV@P7200
>>>
>>>http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/pr.../mutimedia.htm

>>Anyone tried this one ??
>>
>>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/product...0c6ccfe0c9eeaf

>Are you Joking..?

No.. That's why I asked the question..

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Mutlley wrote:
>>>Anyone tried this one ??
>>>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/product...0c6ccfe0c9eeaf

>>Are you Joking..?

> No.. That's why I asked the question..

Stay away from USB ones, they are normally crap, with bad pictures, and
are complete resource hogs.

PAM.

"xray spex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I don't mind paying $300 or so if the card works as advertised, provides a
> decent picture and isn't a nightmare to get up and running

I have a PVR250 and I've got it to work on XP only and that was only a
couple of times. After every format of my HDD, it's hit 'n' miss as to
whether it would work or not.
That was a year or so ago too. I expect it's slightly better now.
I have not got it working with Linux (mythTV) as there's so much
configuration in the MythTV program that I gave up trying.
This is my experience and may not necessarily be the majority case.

PAM.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <42a78bd6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I miss
>>not having hardware encoding, but my Athlon64 rig in Linux is grunty
>>enough that ffmpeg can do full-res PAL recording to MPEG-2 with 48k
>>sound, in realtime...

> What about simply capturing in FireWire DV format? High disk space usage
> (about 12GB/hour), but very low capturing/playback overhead. Also very
> easy to edit afterwards if you want to save stuff to DVD.

Mines not a DV camcorder, just an old Sony Video8 XR with S-video out.
I think I could convert on the fly to that format as I record, but only
Kino is worth using to edit DV. Cinelerra is a much better editor, but
prefers AVI/MPEG input files...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <42a8ade2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Cinelerra is a much better editor, but
>prefers AVI/MPEG input files...

There is also a DV AVI format--basically an AVI wrapper for DV frames.
Can Cinelerra read that?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <42a8ade2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Cinelerra is a much better editor, but
>>prefers AVI/MPEG input files...

> There is also a DV AVI format--basically an AVI wrapper for DV frames.
> Can Cinelerra read that?

Probably not. MJPEG and JPEG compressed, and YUV raw AVI's
are about its limit, other than MPEG-1/2...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

PVR TV Tuner Cards John Computer Information 1 12-30-2007 05:01 AM
tv tuner/PVR cards gadjo DVD Video 23 02-20-2007 07:32 PM
64 bit PVR & TV Tuner Card update =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTY2h1ZXBiYWNo?= Windows 64bit 3 10-20-2006 04:50 AM
TV Tuner & PVR update =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTY2h1ZXBiYWNo?= Windows 64bit 5 10-19-2006 05:07 AM
TV Tuner & PVR update =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTY2h1ZXBiYWNo?= Windows 64bit 0 10-16-2006 06:33 PM

Advertisments