Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TV tuner / PVR cards

TV tuner / PVR cards

xray spex

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:41:58 +1200, "xray spex"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Yes all very DEAR CARDS, I do not think this chap wishes to pay $300
>>> plus
>>> for
>>> a card..

>>> PixelView even to a Dual Tuner PVR card..
>>>

>>I don't mind paying $300 or so if the card works as advertised, provides a
>>decent picture and isn't a nightmare to get up and running
>>

> Well if you do not do any decent research into it then you will be ripped
> off.
>
> Please do not take the advice that most give out here in this news group
> as
> most of it is flawed..

Obviously I will do my own research, my original post was an attempt to find
a starting point and has been successful from that perspective. I disagree
with your comments about the advice that's handed out on nz.comp, with a
couple of notable exceptions I find the majority of it to be fairly good and
no doubt will continue to do so. The thoughts, opinions and personal
experiences of a few people on nz.comp are worth many hours of Googling and
MSN Searching. The cool thing with IT is that there's very rarely one single
way to skin the proverbial cat, the diverse range of solutions and gadgetry
can add complexity to the evaluation process but in return it enables
customisation and selection of features which aren't really available when
purchasing other types of items. Synopsis: diversity of opinion and
experiences is a very good thing IMHO and I'll continue to use nz.comp as a
source for both.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

xray spex wrote:
> I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
> hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
> There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
> anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?

Best to pay a bit more and get a card with hardware encoding. Hauppage
PVR250/350 would fit the bill.

If your system is a real grunter you could get by with a cheaper card.
I use a Pinnacle PCTV Stereo, which has good clarity picture, and also
s-video input to record from my camcorder, for around AUD$85. I miss
not having hardware encoding, but my Athlon64 rig in Linux is grunty
enough that ffmpeg can do full-res PAL recording to MPEG-2 with 48k
sound, in realtime...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Mutlley

Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:09:15 +1200, "xray spex"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
>>hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
>>There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
>>anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
>>
>>thanks
>>

>Get one with Hardware Encoding, this frees up the computer..
>

>Like this one and very Cheap
>

>http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/
>
>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/product...0c6ccfe0c9eeaf
>

>Web site
>

>http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/(E-Mail Removed)
>

>And a later model
>

>PixelView PlayTV@P7200
>
>http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/pr.../mutimedia.htm

Anyone tried this one ??

http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/product...0c6ccfe0c9eeaf

shannon

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Tony wrote:
>
>> Please do not take the advice that most give out here in this news
>> group as
>> most of it is flawed..

> hahaha... says Roger "Tony" Shepard.

The Hauppauge PVR-150 is $217 + GST.

Are there any similar hardware encoding tuner cards on sale in NZ ?

geoffm

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
>hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
>There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
>anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
>
>thanks

Bruce Simpson did an article on Aardvark (www.aardvark.co.nz) a while
back on this subject.
I bought a USB2 Pixelview tuner box yesterday for the Dell 5150
laptop, and I must say I am a bit disappointed. It uses mega resources
- anything running at all will make the sound break up and the video
skip frames.The supplied software is crap - usable, but did they
actually pay money for that hideous interface? Any suggestions
(besides stop being a cheap SOB and get a Hauppauge hardware encoder
card) appreciated
I have a Pinnacle PCTV (BT878 chipset) in the desktop. It is OK, can
use the sky decoder software (when I bothered to set it up before). It
uses a cable from the card to the line -in of the sound card, which is
a pain if you want to use a microphone as well. The supplied drivers,
support and software is total garbage.
There are public domain and freeware drivers, software and PVR stuff
available. Most is much better than comes with the cheap cards.
Most TV tuner cards (mine included) need a good aerial - they are much
less forgiving than even a $120 Warehouse TV.
You will need LOTS of disk space.
Geoff

nospam

"xray spex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wtzpe.5994$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs
> to hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching
> them. There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality,
> does anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
>
> thanks

Honestly, get a Hauppauge PVR150. It's not the cheapest card available in
New Zealand, but at about $230 it'll provide you much more enjoyment than
all the cheaper cards available. This Hauppauge card is very mainstream, and
has very good support from the application development community. Buying a
PixelView or other cheap no brand capture device will leave you continually
hunting for software that works with your device, and you'll be disappointed
with the quality of support your device gets from application developers.

The PVR150 has an onboard MPEG2 encoder mean you'll only consume about 2%
CPU while recording. It works with common PVR applications including Windows
Media Center Edition, MythTV, SageTV, GB-PVR, BeyondTV etc.

Some could say I'm biased, as I'm the developer of a PVR app called GB-PVR
(see www.gbpvr.com). Like most PVR applications, its designed for Hauppauge
PVR150/250/350/500. Even though it does generally work with many of the
clone devices that use the same reference design, if these users of
encounter problems with the non-mainstream devices, they're pretty much have
to solve the problem themselves.

Think very carefully before buying any of these cheaper devices, and know
what you getting yourself into...

Good luck.

big cat

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:56:18 +1200, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:09:15 +1200, "xray spex"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
>>>hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
>>>There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
>>>anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>

>>Get one with Hardware Encoding, this frees up the computer..
>>

>>Like this one and very Cheap
>>

>>http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/
>>
>>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/product...0c6ccfe0c9eeaf
>>

>>Web site
>>

>>http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/(E-Mail Removed)
>>

>>And a later model
>>

>>PixelView PlayTV@P7200
>>
>>http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/pr.../mutimedia.htm

>Anyone tried this one ??
>
>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/product...0c6ccfe0c9eeaf

Are you Joking..?

big cat

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:58:58 +1200, shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> Tony wrote:
>>
>>> Please do not take the advice that most give out here in this news
>>> group as
>>> most of it is flawed..

>> hahaha... says Roger "Tony" Shepard.

>The Hauppauge PVR-150 is $217 + GST.
>
>Are there any similar hardware encoding tuner cards on sale in NZ ?

YES

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/

NZ$119.00+GST

http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/product...0c6ccfe0c9eeaf

big cat

On 8 Jun 2005 20:07:01 -0500, geoffm <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:09:15 +1200, "xray spex"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
>>hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
>>There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
>>anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
>>
>>thanks
>>

>Bruce Simpson did an article on Aardvark (www.aardvark.co.nz) a while
>back on this subject.
>I bought a USB2 Pixelview tuner box yesterday for the Dell 5150

What do you expect no hardware encoding and the hogging USB..

>laptop, and I must say I am a bit disappointed. It uses mega resources
>- anything running at all will make the sound break up and the video
>skip frames.The supplied software is crap - usable, but did they
>actually pay money for that hideous interface? Any suggestions
>(besides stop being a cheap SOB and get a Hauppauge hardware encoder
>card) appreciated
>I have a Pinnacle PCTV (BT878 chipset) in the desktop. It is OK, can
>use the sky decoder software (when I bothered to set it up before). It
>uses a cable from the card to the line -in of the sound card, which is
>a pain if you want to use a microphone as well. The supplied drivers,
>support and software is total garbage.
> There are public domain and freeware drivers, software and PVR stuff
>available. Most is much better than comes with the cheap cards.
>Most TV tuner cards (mine included) need a good aerial - they are much
>less forgiving than even a $120 Warehouse TV.
>You will need LOTS of disk space.
>Geoff

big cat

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:08:19 GMT, "nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"xray spex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:wtzpe.5994$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs
>> to hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching
>> them. There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality,
>> does anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
>>
>> thanks

>Honestly, get a Hauppauge PVR150. It's not the cheapest card available in
>New Zealand, but at about $230 it'll provide you much more enjoyment than
>all the cheaper cards available. This Hauppauge card is very mainstream, and
>has very good support from the application development community. Buying a
>PixelView or other cheap no brand capture device will leave you continually
>hunting for software that works with your device, and you'll be disappointed
>with the quality of support your device gets from application developers.
>
>The PVR150 has an onboard MPEG2 encoder mean you'll only consume about 2%
>CPU while recording. It works with common PVR applications including Windows
>Media Center Edition, MythTV, SageTV, GB-PVR, BeyondTV etc.
>
>Some could say I'm biased, as I'm the developer of a PVR app called GB-PVR
>(see www.gbpvr.com). Like most PVR applications, its designed for Hauppauge
>PVR150/250/350/500. Even though it does generally work with many of the
>clone devices that use the same reference design, if these users of
>encounter problems with the non-mainstream devices, they're pretty much have
>to solve the problem themselves.
>
>Think very carefully before buying any of these cheaper devices, and know
>what you getting yourself into...
>
>Good luck.

May be you should read this review before you spout off about cheap cards

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/

They have also brought at a 7200 model.

PVR TV Tuner Cards John Computer Information 1 12-30-2007 05:01 AM
tv tuner/PVR cards gadjo DVD Video 23 02-20-2007 07:32 PM
64 bit PVR & TV Tuner Card update =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTY2h1ZXBiYWNo?= Windows 64bit 3 10-20-2006 04:50 AM
TV Tuner & PVR update =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTY2h1ZXBiYWNo?= Windows 64bit 5 10-19-2006 05:07 AM
TV Tuner & PVR update =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTY2h1ZXBiYWNo?= Windows 64bit 0 10-16-2006 06:33 PM

Advertisments