Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Killer App/Nifty App

Killer App/Nifty App

PAM.

"akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Spacemonger - shows graphical view of hard disk usage.

Oooh. This might be useful

I'd LOVE a HDD usage app that shows me my usage by sort keys. One can get
that by directory currently but I'd love it by Disk (partition).

Ideally I'd love to sort on App/file size. See the LARGE files and if any I
don't require, then I can max my HDD usage by removing just one file
perhaps.

PAM.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <rl2qe.6222$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Noone has said Post-It notes. Doesn't anyone use that?
>It's probably one of the more recent (last 3 years) applications I've found
>that I really find useful.

Is that like the "Stickies" app which was first released with MacOS 7.5
back in about 1995?

Dave Taylor

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d88rg5.308.1
@fairground.synaptic.net.nz:

> Dave Taylor wrote:
>>>I thought that might be the difference between UltraVNC and VNC.

>> UltraVNC has file transfer. It is much closer to RDP than any VNC.

> heh, have you ever had it work?

Works fine between 2 pcs in my house.
I use this version:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=63887

RC20.5

You know when people go on about how some app didn't work, you usually
find out that it was years ago and the bugs they had then are now gone.
File transfer now moves folders too. Stuff gets compressed (zipped) and
then moved and unzipped all through the same session port. (usually TCP
5900)
The prompt on connect also has some new options, like ask and then
accept. If you tried this app 12 months ago and haven't been back, do
yourself a favour and look again.

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave Taylor wrote:
> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d88rg5.308.1
> @fairground.synaptic.net.nz:

>>>UltraVNC has file transfer. It is much closer to RDP than any VNC.

>>heh, have you ever had it work?

> Works fine between 2 pcs in my house.
> I use this version:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=63887
>
> RC20.5
>
> You know when people go on about how some app didn't work, you usually
> find out that it was years ago and the bugs they had then are now gone.
> File transfer now moves folders too. Stuff gets compressed (zipped) and
> then moved and unzipped all through the same session port. (usually TCP
> 5900)
> The prompt on connect also has some new options, like ask and then
> accept. If you tried this app 12 months ago and haven't been back, do
> yourself a favour and look again.

This is for work, it took long enough in testing to get
ultraVNC(~18months old now) instead of ~4year old(at the time) tightVNC,
and even then, it broke a few things when we went to win2k3 for
servers... re-tested with a newer version and all is well.

I do prefer to have a testing phase atleast... much better than
un-documented software installs on live/production machines.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <rl2qe.6222$(E-Mail Removed)>, "PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Noone has said Post-It notes. Doesn't anyone use that?
>It's probably one of the more recent (last 3 years) applications I've found
>that I really find useful.
>On my MS boxes that is. There's nothing close to it on my Linux box which is
>a shame

Little "sticky notes" for your screen ? IIRC, there was something like this
for the apple // and mac years ago (like 20 ).
It was silly and died AFAIK.

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

PAM.

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> Is that like the "Stickies" app which was first released with MacOS 7.5
> back in about 1995?

Yes it is but stickies is like using Dos compared to post-it notes' WinXP
for example. Post-It notes is so much better.

Even the simple create a note is just one click on post-it. What it should
be (IMO). Stickies is 2 just to create a scribble note. That's too slow. You
also have to verify that you want to delete a sticky. With post-it you
don't. It just deletes (to the trash 'folder')

PAM.

A Killer Email Message - How to Write Killer Email Promos that Get Results RED Firefox 0 09-28-2007 03:42 PM
A Killer Email Message - How to Write Killer Email Promos that Get Results RED Firefox 0 09-25-2007 03:38 PM
Killer app? Shane NZ Computing 2 04-12-2007 12:08 AM
The ever awaited "killer app" for Linux arrives at the end of thisyear? thingy NZ Computing 22 09-15-2006 12:44 PM
Any progammers looking for a killer app to develop? How about a voice enabled forum? Matt C++ 16 03-06-2004 12:46 AM

Advertisments