Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Killer App/Nifty App

Killer App/Nifty App

PAM.

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Ultra VNC is just like VNC only with more options... or atleast it had
> more last time.
>
> comparing it to rDesktop and XPs remote desktop is kinda hard, they have
> different markets... we use VNC at work where we need access to see what
> a user has on his/her screen, I guess it could be handy to have as a
> programmer as in you wouldn't have to rely on what the user told you or
> screen shots, as you could actually see whats on their screen... it
> would depend on what sort of programming you do though.

I thought that might be the difference between UltraVNC and VNC. For me,
they all do the same thing so being Mr. Tidy & Neat, Neat & Tidy, I don't
install software if I've got something that does near enough the same thing
in my view. So on a PC, I use RDC and on my pc at home I use rDesktop. Get's
e access to the terminal server so that's all I need.

Although sometimes, I have to access my physical PC at work so I use VNC on
the terminal server to do that

PAM.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

>> ****************end script************************
>> Basically it looks in the winz database for a logged on user, and gives

> ^^^^
>
>> you the name of the Pc that they're logged into.
>>
>> It may be more easily written, but hey, it does the job.

> oops, unfortunate slip of the keyboard. I'm sure the winz database ins't
> that easy to hack ... What's that marching sound I hear in the
> background ??

hah... yeah, slip of the keyboard... we have software called winz here
too, and had some trouble with it this morning, report about it due this
arvo... and here I am on news groups, but it was high on my mind.

S Roby

Total Commander (was Win Commander)
Great for those who remember Xtree
Great plugins available too.
Use it every day.

http://www.ghisler.com/

Dave Taylor

"PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MYtpe.5924$U4.834910
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> I thought that might be the difference between UltraVNC and VNC.

UltraVNC has file transfer. It is much closer to RDP than any VNC.

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Taylor

"PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:rHspe.5899$(E-Mail Removed):

> Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested
> in finding out if there's another application out there that I've
> never heard of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
>
> Tell me about it
>

> PAM.

Xnews because OE is crap at doing nntp
Winamp because it plays tunes
Media Player Classic because it is leaner than WMP10 and has nifty features
if you go digging.
ffdshow to play codecs.

--
Ciao, Dave

Peter S

"PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rHspe.5899$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
> finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
> of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
>
> Tell me about it
>

> PAM.

I think I would rate Google Desktop Search as the one program I couldn't do
without. I installed it out of curiosity, but its value is immense at work -
finding emails you sent months or years ago on a subject instantly, all
files on a topic - its brilliant.

Not sure of its URL but I'm sure a Google on Google Desktop Search will find
something.

Adam

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:26:13 GMT, S Roby wrote:

>Total Commander (was Win Commander)
>Great for those who remember Xtree

Ouch! Someone almost as old as me!!!

XTree was a beaut.

Adam.

Nicholas Sherlock

PAM. wrote:
> Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
> finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
> of and I may find useful in my home/work life.

Ethereal for packet sniffing. It took me ages to find a decent free
packet sniffer, and this is it. Very useful for diagnosing network
problems or developing software that uses TCP/IP.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave Taylor wrote:
>>I thought that might be the difference between UltraVNC and VNC.

> UltraVNC has file transfer. It is much closer to RDP than any VNC.

heh, have you ever had it work?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:26:13 GMT, S Roby wrote:
>
>>Total Commander (was Win Commander)
>>Great for those who remember Xtree

>Ouch! Someone almost as old as me!!!
>
>XTree was a beaut.

Sure ... compared to DOS

Bruce

- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

A Killer Email Message - How to Write Killer Email Promos that Get Results RED Firefox 0 09-28-2007 03:42 PM
A Killer Email Message - How to Write Killer Email Promos that Get Results RED Firefox 0 09-25-2007 03:38 PM
Killer app? Shane NZ Computing 2 04-12-2007 12:08 AM
The ever awaited "killer app" for Linux arrives at the end of thisyear? thingy NZ Computing 22 09-15-2006 12:44 PM
Any progammers looking for a killer app to develop? How about a voice enabled forum? Matt C++ 16 03-06-2004 12:46 AM

Advertisments