Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Killer App/Nifty App

Reply
Thread Tools

Killer App/Nifty App

 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
In article <rHspe.5899$(E-Mail Removed)>, "PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
>finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
>of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
>
>Tell me about it
>

Audacity. Haven't used it yet ... but it looks neat ... and the price is
right

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/



Bruce


-------------------------------------
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
- George Bernard Shaw
Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
- Ambrose Bierce

Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PAM.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
of and I may find useful in my home/work life.

Tell me about it


PAM.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
PAM. wrote:
> Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
> finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
> of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
>
> Tell me about it


UltraVNC - remote admining of things.

This piece of VB script...
************Begin script********************
Option Explicit

Dim objShell, objExec, strUserName, strOutput, intLine
Dim intPosition, strIP, arrEntrySplit, strComputerName, intRemote

Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
strUserName = InputBox("Please enter a user name:" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & _
"(Press [ENTER] or click [CANCEL] to exit...)", _
"User Computer Name Locator", "")

Do While strUserName <> ""

'This next line is where the server name should be entered!!!!!!!!!!

Set objExec = objShell.Exec("NETSH WINS SERVER \\chatto SHOW NAME " _
& strUserName & " 03")
For intLine = 1 To 4
objExec.StdOut.ReadLine
Next
If objExec.StdOut.ReadLine <> "The name does not exist in the WINS
database." Then
For intLine = 1 To 5
objExec.StdOut.ReadLine
Next
strOutput = objExec.StdOut.ReadLine
If Left(strOutput,10) <> "IP Address" Then
strOutput = objExec.StdOut.ReadLine
End If
intPosition = InStr(strOutput, ":")
strIP = Right(strOutput, (Len(strOutput) - intPosition) - 1)
Set objExec = objShell.Exec("NBTSTAT -A " & strIP)
Do While Not objExec.StdOut.AtEndOfStream
strOutput = objExec.StdOut.ReadLine
If InStr(strOutput,"<03>") <> 0 Then
arrEntrySplit = Split(strOutput)
If UCase(arrEntrySplit(4)) <> UCase(strUserName) And _
UCase(arrEntrySplit(4)) <> UCase(strComputerName) And _
UCase(arrEntrySplit(4)) <> strComputerName & "$" Then
strComputerName = strComputerName & UCase(arrEntrySplit(4))
End If
End If
Loop
If strComputerName <> "" Then
MsgBox "The requested user '" & strUserName & _
"' is logged on to: " & strComputerName,,"User Computer
Name Locator"
Else
MsgBox "The requested user '" & strUserName & _
"' doesn't appear to logged on to the network. "
End If
Else
MsgBox "The user was not found in the WINS database. ",, _
"User Computer Name Locator"
End If
strComputerName = ""
strUserName = InputBox("Please enter a user name:" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & _
"(Press [ENTER] or click [CANCEL] to exit...)", _
"User Computer Name Locator", "")
Loop
****************end script************************
Basically it looks in the winz database for a logged on user, and gives
you the name of the Pc that they're logged into.

It may be more easily written, but hey, it does the job.
 
Reply With Quote
 
PAM.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message

> Audacity. Haven't used it yet ... but it looks neat ... and the price is
> right
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/


Can one use it to string files together?
EG. If I decided to download Dr. Who in 23 parts from alt.binaries.nl, could
I use it to combine all 23 parts together to show me the programme?
I shall check it out.

PAM.


 
Reply With Quote
 
thing2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <rHspe.5899$(E-Mail Removed)>, "PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
>>finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
>>of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
>>
>>Tell me about it
>>

>
> Audacity. Haven't used it yet ... but it looks neat ... and the price is
> right
>
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
>
>
>
> Bruce


good choice....

regards

Thing

 
Reply With Quote
 
PAM.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> UltraVNC - remote admining of things.
> This piece of VB script...

<snip>

'Ultra' VNC. I've used VNC. It's pretty good. What's the differece between
them and the difference between Ultra and Linux's rDesktop and WinXP's
Remote Desktop Connection, if one is a user just wanting to connect and work
on a remote machine accessing programs through GUI only?

As for the script. Hmmm. Might be good but I don't care who's on the
network, I'm a programmer.
Actually I'm a Business Analyst at the moment but whatever.

PAM.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
In article <l5tpe.5910$(E-Mail Removed)>, "PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
>in message
>
>> Audacity. Haven't used it yet ... but it looks neat ... and the price is
>> right
>> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

>
>Can one use it to string files together?
>EG. If I decided to download Dr. Who in 23 parts from alt.binaries.nl, could
>I use it to combine all 23 parts together to show me the programme?
>I shall check it out.


Let me know how you get on. It looks seriously good to me.

Bruce


-------------------------------------
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
- George Bernard Shaw
Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
- Ambrose Bierce

Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <rHspe.5899$(E-Mail Removed)>, "PAM."

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
>>>finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
>>>of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
>>>
>>>Tell me about it
>>>

>>
>> Audacity. Haven't used it yet ... but it looks neat ... and the price is
>> right
>>
>> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/


>good choice....


Have you tried it ?

Bruce


-------------------------------------
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
- George Bernard Shaw
Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
- Ambrose Bierce

Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
PAM. wrote:
>>UltraVNC - remote admining of things.
>>This piece of VB script...


> 'Ultra' VNC. I've used VNC. It's pretty good. What's the differece between
> them and the difference between Ultra and Linux's rDesktop and WinXP's
> Remote Desktop Connection, if one is a user just wanting to connect and work
> on a remote machine accessing programs through GUI only?


Ultra VNC is just like VNC only with more options... or atleast it had
more last time.

comparing it to rDesktop and XPs remote desktop is kinda hard, they have
different markets... we use VNC at work where we need access to see what
a user has on his/her screen, I guess it could be handy to have as a
programmer as in you wouldn't have to rely on what the user told you or
screen shots, as you could actually see whats on their screen... it
would depend on what sort of programming you do though.

> As for the script. Hmmm. Might be good but I don't care who's on the
> network, I'm a programmer.
> Actually I'm a Business Analyst at the moment but whatever.


I do network admin stuff, so my tools re-volve around that

we probably share some things, others we wouldn't know what the hell we
were looking at.
 
Reply With Quote
 
DaveG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> PAM. wrote:
>
>> Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
>> finding out if there's another application out there that I've never
>> heard
>> of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
>>
>> Tell me about it

>
>
> UltraVNC - remote admining of things.
>
> This piece of VB script...

[snipped]

> ****************end script************************
> Basically it looks in the winz database for a logged on user, and gives

^^^^
> you the name of the Pc that they're logged into.
>
> It may be more easily written, but hey, it does the job.



oops, unfortunate slip of the keyboard. I'm sure the winz database ins't
that easy to hack ... What's that marching sound I hear in the background ??

d

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Killer Email Message - How to Write Killer Email Promos that Get Results RED Firefox 0 09-28-2007 03:42 PM
A Killer Email Message - How to Write Killer Email Promos that Get Results RED Firefox 0 09-25-2007 03:38 PM
Killer app? Shane NZ Computing 2 04-12-2007 12:08 AM
The ever awaited "killer app" for Linux arrives at the end of thisyear? thingy NZ Computing 22 09-15-2006 12:44 PM
Any progammers looking for a killer app to develop? How about a voice enabled forum? Matt C++ 16 03-06-2004 12:46 AM



Advertisments