Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra/Telecom and skype

Xtra/Telecom and skype

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "Reuben Schwarz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I'm a journalist with NZ InfoTech at the Dominion, looking into Xtra
>and skype. I've heard rumours that sometimes the two don't play well
>together. Anyone out there had any problems? Is this common?

Idle thought ... there probably aren't that many linux users using xtra as
an ISP ?
Might make a better story

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

Reuben Schwarz

Hi there,

I'm a journalist with NZ InfoTech at the Dominion, looking into Xtra
and skype. I've heard rumours that sometimes the two don't play well
together. Anyone out there had any problems? Is this common?

Cheers,
Reuben Schwarz

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Reuben Schwarz wrote:
> I'm a journalist with NZ InfoTech at the Dominion, looking into Xtra
> and skype. I've heard rumours that sometimes the two don't play well
> together. Anyone out there had any problems? Is this common?

just a question, have you guys just discovered usenet?
two posts in one day from journos... can't be just a coinkidink

Reuben Schwarz

Long time reader, first time poster. Just a coincidence it happened to
be two at a time.

XPD

"Reuben Schwarz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a journalist with NZ InfoTech at the Dominion, looking into Xtra
> and skype. I've heard rumours that sometimes the two don't play well
> together. Anyone out there had any problems? Is this common?
>
> Cheers,
> Reuben Schwarz

I personally dont use Xtra, but have heard that since UBS has been rolled
out, that Telecom only guarantee the speed you get on the lower end plans,
not the latency, and its the latency that can affect VoIP applications
etc.....
Ask around at www.nzadsl.co.nz - Im sure theres a few users there who maybe
able to provide a "real world" answer

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 03:51:10 GMT, Bruce Sinclair
<(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
<news:1J9pe.5682$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "Reuben Schwarz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I'm a journalist with NZ InfoTech at the Dominion, looking into Xtra
>>and skype. I've heard rumours that sometimes the two don't play well
>>together. Anyone out there had any problems? Is this common?

> Idle thought ... there probably aren't that many linux users using xtra as
> an ISP ?
> Might make a better story
>
> Bruce
>
> -------------------------------------
> The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
> - George Bernard Shaw
> Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
> - Ambrose Bierce
>
> Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
> (if there were any)

JOOI, Bruce, why do you single out Linux users in this context?

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... No man can scrute the inscrutable nor eff the ineffable.

Mike_P

"Reuben Schwarz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a journalist with NZ InfoTech at the Dominion, looking into Xtra
> and skype. I've heard rumours that sometimes the two don't play well
> together. Anyone out there had any problems? Is this common?
>
> Cheers,
> Reuben Schwarz

Don't know about xtra but UBS (you know, the Telecom wholesale offering
introduced to forestall the unbundling of the local loop) has deliberately
introduced latency or 'Jitter'. The sole reason for this is to make VOIP
(e.g.: Skype) unusable; after all, Telecom is first and foremost a phone
company.

Mike_P

Shane

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:44:51 -0700, Reuben Schwarz wrote:

> Long time reader, first time poster. Just a coincidence it happened to
> be two at a time.

I'm just posting in this thread cos its like putting your face in the
camera when a journo is doing a live spot on the 6o'clock
make sure you spell me name right
(ok I couldnt resist.. I shall go sit back in my corner now

geoffm

On 6 Jun 2005 21:14:26 -0700, "Reuben Schwarz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I'm a journalist with NZ InfoTech at the Dominion, looking into Xtra
>and skype. I've heard rumours that sometimes the two don't play well
>together. Anyone out there had any problems? Is this common?
>
>Cheers,
>Reuben Schwarz

Lots of lag with Xtra (and all the other DSL plans, since they come
from the sme source) makes Skype pretty dodgy. It works well if you
get a good connection, but it is not consistant, or reliable.
Dropouts, lag and slowdowns (esp after school) make it unusable in
many cases - say 90% of the time
This is with xtra in Christchurch.
Geoff

~misfit~

Reuben Schwarz wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a journalist with NZ InfoTech at the Dominion, looking into Xtra
> and skype. I've heard rumours that sometimes the two don't play well
> together. Anyone out there had any problems? Is this common?

Look for an article by a guy called Cringely that mentions it. (Google) He's
a US web-journo and he thought it was worth reporting internationally.

I did it for you:

Toward the bottom of the page.
--
~misfit~