Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hell Officially Freezes Over

Hell Officially Freezes Over

Dave - Dave.net.nz

AD. wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that if they had've hired a team of guys from a Unix
> vendor, NT would've ended up looking a bit more Unixy.

> NT was designed and written from scratch at MS - it's just that the
> designers had a pretty strong preexisting VMS bias.

yep, you code the way you know...
in my case, badly, but anyway.

Roger_Nickel

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alastair McAllister <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Firstly, doesn't the Gnome desktop have a very similar user interface
>>>to that of the Mac?

>>I've tried Gnome before, but not recently enough to have a clear picture
>>of it in my mind. What's more important is the question of whether you
>>can buy a computer with Gnome pre-installed.

> Of course you can. Many distros offer you both Gnome and KDE in the box.
> Probably the most famous example of one that offers only Gnome and not
> KDE is Ubuntu, but of course another group has stepped in to remedy
> that--Kubuntu...
>

>>I think this is a perfect example of how Mac-bashers tend to be people
>>who are very computer literate themselves, and fail to understand that
>>there are many computer users out there who are a lot less techno-savvy.
>>Some people are prepared to pay a premium or accept a lower-performing
>>machine in return for a machine that is easier to use or more
>>aesthetically pleasing. That's their choice and, as long as they're
>>making an informed decision, you have no right to critise them.

> <http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html>
>
>>As far as Linux goes, if I were to buy a beige box and ask you to
>>install Linux then I imagine that I would be fine with it until the time
>>comes to install a new peripheral (digital camera, phone, scanner, etc.)
>>at which point I would fall to pieces.

> Most digital cameras nowadays support the USB storage protocol. My own
> Fuji S5500 plugs straight into my SuSE box and appears as a disk. Which
> is also what it does on my iMac.
>

>>>So I ask it again, what specific and clear *advantage* does the Mac
>>>platform have over other platforms?

>>To rephrase my original response, the Macintosh comes pre-installed with
>>an operating system that is intuitive and simple, and will function
>>reliably for years with minimal maintenance.

> Apart from the need for pretty much monthly patch updates.

Some people don't want to do computing on their computers, they want to edit
images, create music or maybe to prepare offset printing plates. Apple's attempt
to lock the hardware is as likely as not intended to enable them to continue to
offer "it just works" without the complications caused by the huge variety of
hardware in PC's.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Alastair McAllister wrote:
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>

>>Alastair McAllister wrote:

>>>The following peripherals have worked on my Macintosh without the
>>>need for any software to be installed: Canon Powershot A40 camera.
>>>Logitech mouse. Canon S330 printer. My webcam, iPod and scanner have
>>>all required additional software to be installed, but this was
>>>included in the box with the product. In all honesty, I haven't used
>>>Linux for quite some time, so I don't know what the peripheral
>>>support is like these days.

>>For the hardware you list above...

> <snip>
>
>>The above is based on my SuSE 9.2 Pro install, and the devices listed
>>by the hardware config dialogs...

> Thanks for that, Chris. It's interesting reading.
>
> I guess moral of the story is that peripheral compability in Linux is
> really not an issue as long as you choose carefully when purchasing
> these devices.

Thats true. I built my Athlon64 system from scratch, knowing that Linux
was the only OS likely to run on it. Every component was chosen on the
merits of its compatibility with Linux, and thus far the only issues I
have encountered have not been hardware related...

If you have doubts about your hardware you could always pop-in a Linux
LiveCD distro, such as Knoppix. Knoppix hardware support is as good as
any distro, and will allow you to assess how well a full distro will
perform on your system...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> If you have doubts about your hardware you could always pop-in a Linux
> LiveCD distro, such as Knoppix. Knoppix hardware support is as good as
> any distro, and will allow you to assess how well a full distro will
> perform on your system...

Personally I've found live CDs to have better hardware support than the
installed ones, maybe they are just more up to date than the downloaded
versions.

Weirdly, I found that a knoppix hdinstall had worse hardware support
than when I had booted it off the CD... it seemed to drop support for my
modem which I thought was odd.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> If you have doubts about your hardware you could always pop-in a Linux
>> LiveCD distro, such as Knoppix. Knoppix hardware support is as good as
>> any distro, and will allow you to assess how well a full distro will
>> perform on your system...

> Personally I've found live CDs to have better hardware support than the
> installed ones, maybe they are just more up to date than the downloaded
> versions.
>
> Weirdly, I found that a knoppix hdinstall had worse hardware support
> than when I had booted it off the CD... it seemed to drop support for my
> modem which I thought was odd.

In terms of weirdness, thats up there!

I'm happy with the way SuSE 9.2 is running, so I'm not really bothered
installing alternate linuxes. I did try Knoppix LiveCD on my old PC
when I lived in NZ, but didn't install to hd. Mepis however got put on
hd from the LiveCD, on my old machine, and seemed identical (just
booted faster from hd)...

Everyones mileage varies I guess...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Scooter

On , , Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:33:04 +1200, Re: Hell Officially
Freezes Over, Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>H.O.G wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:19:44 +1200, Bling-Bling
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine words:

>>>Firstly, doesn't the Gnome desktop have a very similar user interface to
>>>that of the Mac?
>>>
>>>Secondly, I read somewhere that the Mac platform was not a secure platform
>>>- it being easy to do stuff that shouldn't be done. (aparently)
>>>
>>>And with a good internet connection, it is very easy indeed to maintain
>>>both Linux (depending on distro) and Windows boxen.
>>>
>>>So I ask it again, what specific and clear *advantage* does the Mac
>>>platform have over other platforms?
>>>

>> They look "pretty".
>>
>> That is why something like 85% of mac users are women. Fact.

>I know of one HP Pavilion that was sold because the one who makes the
>financial decisions thought that the blue backlighting on the power
>button was pretty.

And his boyfriend didn't think the same way?

--
Opinions expressed are only my own. The above
post may or may not contain one or more of the

FreedomChooser

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:58:54 +1200, Bling-Bling
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:34:22 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>
>>>... looking at peripherals in the wider sense, the number that will work
>>>with Linux out-of-the-box is still very much in the minority.

>> Linux would have much better hardware support than OS X does. Linux is
>> probably not far behind Windows in this respect; indeed, in one or two
>> areas, it might even surpass Windows. This is because Linux drivers are
>> often developed by hackers who don't know when to stop.

>And also, Micro$oft dropped support for much hardware when it deadended
>the Win9x code base.

Bull crap
It dropped support foran obsolete driver model
Drivers just need be written to the new standard

>Here's a totally irrelevant question to this thread:
>
>Was WinNT based on code originally developed for OS/2?

No
It was developed by people from DEC