Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hell Officially Freezes Over

Reply
Thread Tools

Hell Officially Freezes Over

 
 
Alastair McAllister
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
In <pan.2005.06.08.04.19.44.247763@TRACKER> Bling-Bling wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:28:41 +1200, Alastair McAllister wrote:


>> A simple and intuitive user interface, good security, and easy
>> maintenance.


> Firstly, doesn't the Gnome desktop have a very similar user interface
> to that of the Mac?


I've tried Gnome before, but not recently enough to have a clear picture
of it in my mind. What's more important is the question of whether you
can buy a computer with Gnome pre-installed.

I think this is a perfect example of how Mac-bashers tend to be people
who are very computer literate themselves, and fail to understand that
there are many computer users out there who are a lot less techno-savvy.
Some people are prepared to pay a premium or accept a lower-performing
machine in return for a machine that is easier to use or more
aesthetically pleasing. That's their choice and, as long as they're
making an informed decision, you have no right to critise them.


> Secondly, I read somewhere that the Mac platform was not a secure
> platform - it being easy to do stuff that shouldn't be done. (
> aparently)


As long as software is written by humans, no platform will ever be
totally watertight, but I have been using Macintoshes for many years and
never experienced any problems with malware.


> And with a good internet connection, it is very easy indeed to
> maintain both Linux (depending on distro) and Windows boxen.


I don't know a lot about Windows, but when I hear people on nz.comp
talking about all the different malwares and the different third party
software that they have to install and keep up to date in order to
protect themselves, I get the impression that Windows is better suited
to more advanced users.

As far as Linux goes, if I were to buy a beige box and ask you to
install Linux then I imagine that I would be fine with it until the time
comes to install a new peripheral (digital camera, phone, scanner, etc.)
at which point I would fall to pieces.


> So I ask it again, what specific and clear *advantage* does the Mac
> platform have over other platforms?


To rephrase my original response, the Macintosh comes pre-installed with
an operating system that is intuitive and simple, and will function
reliably for years with minimal maintenance.

--
Regards, Alastair.
Wellington, New Zealand
www.alastair.geek.nz

My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
posting.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bling-Bling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:18:15 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

>>>> What advantages?
>>>
>>> A simple and intuitive user interface, good security, and easy
>>> maintenance.

>>
>>Firstly, doesn't the Gnome desktop have a very similar user interface to
>>that of the Mac?
>>
>>Secondly, I read somewhere that the Mac platform was not a secure
>>platform - it being easy to do stuff that shouldn't be done. (aparently)
>>
>>And with a good internet connection, it is very easy indeed to maintain
>>both Linux (depending on distro) and Windows boxen.
>>
>>So I ask it again, what specific and clear *advantage* does the Mac
>>platform have over other platforms?
>>
>>

> They look "pretty".
>
> That is why something like 85% of mac users are women. Fact.


Facinating!


Bling Bling

--
IBM: "Linux is not just another operating system. It represents a
collaboration of the best programmers in the industry coming together to
create an operating system that works on any hardware platform."

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
H.O.G wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:19:44 +1200, Bling-Bling
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine words:
>
>
>>On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:28:41 +1200, Alastair McAllister wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>>Apple would still be wise to lock down the hardware of their machine,
>>>>>though, if they want to maintain the obvious advantages that the Mac
>>>>>platform has over PC.
>>>
>>>>What advantages?
>>>
>>>A simple and intuitive user interface, good security, and easy
>>>maintenance.

>>
>>Firstly, doesn't the Gnome desktop have a very similar user interface to
>>that of the Mac?
>>
>>Secondly, I read somewhere that the Mac platform was not a secure platform
>>- it being easy to do stuff that shouldn't be done. (aparently)
>>
>>And with a good internet connection, it is very easy indeed to maintain
>>both Linux (depending on distro) and Windows boxen.
>>
>>So I ask it again, what specific and clear *advantage* does the Mac
>>platform have over other platforms?
>>
>>

>
> They look "pretty".
>
> That is why something like 85% of mac users are women. Fact.


I know of one HP Pavilion that was sold because the one who makes the
financial decisions thought that the blue backlighting on the power
button was pretty.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005

>>
>> They look "pretty".
>>
>> That is why something like 85% of mac users are women. Fact.

>
> I know of one HP Pavilion that was sold because the one who makes the
> financial decisions thought that the blue backlighting on the power
> button was pretty.


Lord help us if they put racing stripes on them
--
Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Wed,
08 Jun 2005 13:59:30 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz <(E-Mail Removed)>
says...
> Rob J wrote:
> >>The Apple OS (Mac OSX) won't run on any Intel box. You'll still need to run
> >>an Apple Box......assuming no one comes out with an after-market mod for
> >>regular PCs to allow them to run Mac OSX.

>
> > Wrong.
> > OSX has been developed from day 1 on both Intel and PowerPC.

>
> ahhh, nope, you're wrong, at the launch of it, they said that you will
> still need Apple hardware, so it would appear that they're not
> bog-standard x86-64 boxes.


What is a "bog standard x86-64 box"?

OSX will not run on a PC. No one said that it would.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
In article <pan.2005.06.08.02.16.38.565878@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Wed, 08
Jun 2005 14:16:38 +1200, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:48:19 +1200, Rob J wrote:
>
> > Apple would still be wise to lock down the hardware of their machine,
> > though, if they want to maintain the obvious advantages that the Mac
> > platform has over PC.

>
> What advantages?


Stability. Ease of use / configuration, etc.

Computers like the Imac and Mac Mini don't have add on peripheral slots -
everything goes on the USB or Firewire ports. Bit hard to get motherboard
conflicts that way, or overheating from too many heat sources in the
case.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
In article <pan.2005.06.08.04.19.44.247763@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Wed, 08
Jun 2005 16:19:44 +1200, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:28:41 +1200, Alastair McAllister wrote:
>
> >>> Apple would still be wise to lock down the hardware of their machine,
> >>> though, if they want to maintain the obvious advantages that the Mac
> >>> platform has over PC.

> >
> >> What advantages?

> >
> > A simple and intuitive user interface, good security, and easy
> > maintenance.

>
> Firstly, doesn't the Gnome desktop have a very similar user interface to
> that of the Mac?
>
> Secondly, I read somewhere that the Mac platform was not a secure platform
> - it being easy to do stuff that shouldn't be done. (aparently)
>
> And with a good internet connection, it is very easy indeed to maintain
> both Linux (depending on distro) and Windows boxen.


And a lot of home users just have one phone line and dialup.

They won't want to bother spending hours online downloading updates.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence DčOliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>,
Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:

>>> They look "pretty".
>>>
>>> That is why something like 85% of mac users are women. Fact.

>>
>> I know of one HP Pavilion that was sold because the one who makes the
>> financial decisions thought that the blue backlighting on the power
>> button was pretty.

>
>Lord help us if they put racing stripes on them


Don't tell all the young men who are the major market for the
case-modding industry that they're indulging in an activity more suited
to women...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence DčOliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alastair McAllister <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In <pan.2005.06.08.04.19.44.247763@TRACKER> Bling-Bling wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:28:41 +1200, Alastair McAllister wrote:

>
>>> A simple and intuitive user interface, good security, and easy
>>> maintenance.

>
>> Firstly, doesn't the Gnome desktop have a very similar user interface
>> to that of the Mac?

>
>I've tried Gnome before, but not recently enough to have a clear picture
>of it in my mind. What's more important is the question of whether you
>can buy a computer with Gnome pre-installed.


Of course you can. Many distros offer you both Gnome and KDE in the box.
Probably the most famous example of one that offers only Gnome and not
KDE is Ubuntu, but of course another group has stepped in to remedy
that--Kubuntu...

>I think this is a perfect example of how Mac-bashers tend to be people
>who are very computer literate themselves, and fail to understand that
>there are many computer users out there who are a lot less techno-savvy.
>Some people are prepared to pay a premium or accept a lower-performing
>machine in return for a machine that is easier to use or more
>aesthetically pleasing. That's their choice and, as long as they're
>making an informed decision, you have no right to critise them.


<http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html>

>As far as Linux goes, if I were to buy a beige box and ask you to
>install Linux then I imagine that I would be fine with it until the time
>comes to install a new peripheral (digital camera, phone, scanner, etc.)
>at which point I would fall to pieces.


Most digital cameras nowadays support the USB storage protocol. My own
Fuji S5500 plugs straight into my SuSE box and appears as a disk. Which
is also what it does on my iMac.

>> So I ask it again, what specific and clear *advantage* does the Mac
>> platform have over other platforms?

>
>To rephrase my original response, the Macintosh comes pre-installed with
>an operating system that is intuitive and simple, and will function
>reliably for years with minimal maintenance.


Apart from the need for pretty much monthly patch updates.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
Bling-Bling wrote:
> And with a good internet connection, it is very easy indeed to maintain
> both Linux (depending on distro) and Windows boxen.


OMG, this looks to be a well thought out post by blingy...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VOIP over VPN over TCP over WAP over 3G Theo Markettos UK VOIP 2 02-14-2008 03:27 PM
Hell freezes over: Windows listed as most secure OS tom Computer Support 8 03-25-2007 04:20 AM
Re: Sony offers Compact Flash -- HELL JUST FROZE OVER! Charlie Self Digital Photography 39 08-23-2003 02:47 AM
Sony offers Compact Flash -- HELL JUST FROZE OVER! Todd Walker Digital Photography 71 08-23-2003 01:32 AM
Re: Sony offers Compact Flash -- HELL JUST FROZE OVER! FOR7b Digital Photography 9 08-21-2003 05:41 PM



Advertisments