Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > For the Linux folks : Decent video editing software.

For the Linux folks : Decent video editing software.

Mutley

http://www.mainconcept.com/mainactor_v5_linux.shtml

"Buy once, use twice - unlock the MainActor v5 Linux and Windows
version with the same serial number"

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I've been mainly doing workflow-based stuff on Linux. One of my client's
sites is <http://www.marathon-videos.com/>. If you were a participant at
one of the events, you enter your runner number, confirm your details,
pay by credit card, and a few hours later you have a personalized
downloadable video including footage of you crossing the finish line.

All the back end processing is done automatically on Linux machines,
driven by XML-based templates.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Mutley wrote:
> http://www.mainconcept.com/mainactor_v5_linux.shtml
>
> "Buy once, use twice - unlock the MainActor v5 Linux and Windows
> version with the same serial number"

Looks good. Linux lacks a full featured entry-point for
home video editing, akin to iMovie or similar, as most
of the OSS alternatives are hard to get running. This
one is $199 for full version, which is enticing...

I use Cinelerra, but need to be careful which codec I
record to for importing into that. Mainactor looks to
I/O more formats, which is always useful...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> I've been mainly doing workflow-based stuff on Linux. One of my client's
> sites is <http://www.marathon-videos.com/>. If you were a participant at
> one of the events, you enter your runner number, confirm your details,
> pay by credit card, and a few hours later you have a personalized
> downloadable video including footage of you crossing the finish line.
>
> All the back end processing is done automatically on Linux machines,
> driven by XML-based templates.

Cool. Was that you running the 2:07:49?

I'm doing the Gold Coast half in July, so I wonder if
they will have cams at that event...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Dave

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:45:37 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Looks good. Linux lacks a full featured entry-point for home video
> editing, akin to iMovie or similar, as most of the OSS alternatives are
> hard to get running. This one is $199 for full version, which is
> enticing...
>

> I use Cinelerra, but need to be careful which codec I
> record to for importing into that. Mainactor looks to I/O more formats,
> which is always useful...

PiTiVi look quite promising,pitivi.org, especially after watching a video
of the presentation on it at GUADEC. But seems like August until we
will have something usable.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Dave wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:45:37 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>

>>Looks good. Linux lacks a full featured entry-point for home video
>>editing, akin to iMovie or similar, as most of the OSS alternatives are
>>hard to get running. This one is $199 for full version, which is
>>enticing...
>>

>>I use Cinelerra, but need to be careful which codec I
>>record to for importing into that. Mainactor looks to I/O more formats,
>>which is always useful...

> PiTiVi look quite promising,pitivi.org, especially after watching a video
> of the presentation on it at GUADEC. But seems like August until we
> will have something usable.

Interesting screenshot. Unless its a mock-up it looks to handle all
kinds of codecs side-by-side...thats my main gripe re video is that
no single program can import even a fraction of the various codecs
available to create videos with...they're all very specific to mpeg2
or Mjpeg A or something that none of the others use...

--

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:33:10 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Dave wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:45:37 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>>

>>>Looks good. Linux lacks a full featured entry-point for home video
>>>editing, akin to iMovie or similar, as most of the OSS alternatives are
>>>hard to get running. This one is $199 for full version, which is
>>>enticing...
>>>

>>>I use Cinelerra, but need to be careful which codec I
>>>record to for importing into that. Mainactor looks to I/O more formats,
>>>which is always useful...

>> PiTiVi look quite promising,pitivi.org, especially after watching a video
>> of the presentation on it at GUADEC. But seems like August until we
>> will have something usable.

> Interesting screenshot. Unless its a mock-up it looks to handle all
> kinds of codecs side-by-side...thats my main gripe re video is that
> no single program can import even a fraction of the various codecs
> available to create videos with...they're all very specific to mpeg2
> or Mjpeg A or something that none of the others use...

It will be able to handle whatever gstreamer can handle, and with the
recent pitdll plugin can handle win32 codecs as well, so it will be
virtually limitless in codecs that can be used.

Allistar

Mutley wrote:

> http://www.mainconcept.com/mainactor_v5_linux.shtml
>
> "Buy once, use twice - unlock the MainActor v5 Linux and Windows
> version with the same serial number"

Anyone got this working on Gentoo?

Allistar.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Dave wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:33:10 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>Dave wrote:

>>>PiTiVi look quite promising,pitivi.org, especially after watching a video
>>>of the presentation on it at GUADEC. But seems like August until we
>>>will have something usable.

>>Interesting screenshot. Unless its a mock-up it looks to handle all
>>kinds of codecs side-by-side...thats my main gripe re video is that
>>no single program can import even a fraction of the various codecs
>>available to create videos with...they're all very specific to mpeg2
>>or Mjpeg A or something that none of the others use...

> It will be able to handle whatever gstreamer can handle, and with the
> recent pitdll plugin can handle win32 codecs as well, so it will be
> virtually limitless in codecs that can be used.

Sounds good. Cinelerra is my current editor, but its very fussy as
to which codecs can be imported...its either AVI with JPEG/MJPEG
compression or nothing for me, and I still need to convert to VOB
after that using ffmpeg (which luckily blazes on my Athlon64)...