Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 1GB Gfx Card

1GB Gfx Card

Daniel

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...31_120646.html

Had to happen sooner or later.

The price of bragging rights.... (sigh)

Mark Remfrey

Daniel wrote:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...31_120646.html
>
> Had to happen sooner or later.
>
> The price of bragging rights.... (sigh)

I had to laugh..... 230 Watts consumption at idle, and power consumption
at full load was not disclosed

Gonna have to get my own back-yard reactor in to play games!

Regards,
Mark Remfrey

Daniel

Mark Remfrey wrote:

> I had to laugh..... 230 Watts consumption at idle, and power consumption
> at full load was not disclosed

Yeah, I know - makes you wonder exactly what motherboard and PSU they
were actually using.

There was even talk of having an SLI version (4 GPU core, 2GB). I wonder
if that means an idle of 450+ Watts - nah, that's just too ridiculous.
But, oh, the bragging rights for that kind of rig...

Nova

Mark Remfrey wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...31_120646.html
>>
>> Had to happen sooner or later.
>>
>> The price of bragging rights.... (sigh)

> I had to laugh..... 230 Watts consumption at idle, and power consumption
> at full load was not disclosed
>
> Gonna have to get my own back-yard reactor in to play games!
>
> Regards,
> Mark Remfrey

Yeah that's just insane.. p4's can double in power useage from idle to
full.. if that was the case with these... ai caramba...

bring on the 1 kilowatt psu's...

The heat from that much power too... that has to be a concern...
anyway, miles out of my league, I always wait until things trickle down
to the $200 mark or so.. gpu's are outdated faster the cpu's..

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Mark Remfrey wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...31_120646.html
>>
>> Had to happen sooner or later.
>>
>> The price of bragging rights.... (sigh)

> I had to laugh..... 230 Watts consumption at idle, and power consumption
> at full load was not disclosed
>
> Gonna have to get my own back-yard reactor in to play games!

Hehe! Bet its a noisy ****er! I also bet that at useful screen
resolutions top-end games will look no different, simply cos
the top-end cards can run current games fast enough to look
smooth (25-30fps+) already...

Its just daft...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Daniel

Nova wrote:
> Mark Remfrey wrote:
>
> The heat from that much power too... that has to be a concern...
> anyway, miles out of my league, I always wait until things trickle down
> to the $200 mark or so.. gpu's are outdated faster the cpu's..

Agreed. Seems like just yesterday that the GeForce 6xxx cards were released.

And this month, were expecting the release of the next GeForce 7xxx
range (G70 GPU).

Richard

Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Hehe! Bet its a noisy ****er! I also bet that at useful screen
> resolutions top-end games will look no different, simply cos
> the top-end cards can run current games fast enough to look
> smooth (25-30fps+) already...

25 fps is _not_ enough.... if you are running at a 75Hz refresh, you need 75 FPS
to look smooth, if its dropping any, its easily visable.

Movies are 24 fps, and they sure as hell are not smooth.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Richard wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> Hehe! Bet its a noisy ****er! I also bet that at useful screen
>> resolutions top-end games will look no different, simply cos
>> the top-end cards can run current games fast enough to look
>> smooth (25-30fps+) already...

> 25 fps is _not_ enough.... if you are running at a 75Hz refresh, you
> need 75 FPS to look smooth, if its dropping any, its easily visable.

If the 3D looks a bit twitchy or has the odd what looks like
a tear across it, then its likely you don't have 'sync to
vertical blank' turned on, in your card settings. Switching
that on will appear to smooth the rendering...

> Movies are 24 fps, and they sure as hell are not smooth.

1/24th of a second is faster than your body can physically
react to something attacking you from the side in a video
game. By the time your brain registers the event on screen,
then triggers your hands to use the controls to spin and
shoot the beastie, 1/24th of a second has well and truly
passed you by...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>> Movies are 24 fps, and they sure as hell are not smooth.

> 1/24th of a second is faster than your body can physically
> react to something attacking you from the side in a video
> game. By the time your brain registers the event on screen,
> then triggers your hands to use the controls to spin and
> shoot the beastie, 1/24th of a second has well and truly
> passed you by...

really? is there an online reference to this sort of thing, semi interested.

Nova

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>>> Movies are 24 fps, and they sure as hell are not smooth.

>> 1/24th of a second is faster than your body can physically
>> react to something attacking you from the side in a video
>> game. By the time your brain registers the event on screen,
>> then triggers your hands to use the controls to spin and
>> shoot the beastie, 1/24th of a second has well and truly
>> passed you by...

> really? is there an online reference to this sort of thing, semi
> interested.

Yeha me too, i remember reading about thsi type of thing somwhere, it
was asking the question at what point can a human not tell the
difference of the frames per second etc..

obviously theres a difference between reaction time as the person above
has talked about and what the eye can see..

but anything too fast just becomes a blur anyway, i mean if you wave
your hand in front of your eyes.. its a blue, how many fps is that? hehe