Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips

Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips

Mutley

Friday 27 May 2005 - 11:02

Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling
copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with Intel
Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its latest
dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chipset.

Guess there will be two types of Intel mother boards made now. One
for the USA and one for the free world..

AMD here we come..

Peter

Mutley wrote:
> Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling
> copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with Intel
> Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its latest
> dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chipset.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,121027,00.asp

and at the same time, it can be used to force everyone to only use Micro$oft
software - what a happy coincidence. Palladium is coming at last.

Peter

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:23:37 +1200, Peter wrote:

>> Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling
>> copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with Intel
>> Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its latest
>> dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chipset.

> http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,121027,00.asp
>
> and at the same time, it can be used to force everyone to only use
> Micro$oft software - what a happy coincidence. Palladium is coming at
> last.

Who in their right mind would pay money for hardware and proprietary
closed-source software that were deliberately designed to prevent them
from doing whatever they want to do with their computer?

What better reason do you need for walking away from Micro$oft and Intel?

Bling Bling

--
"Linux and MySQL are going to keep chipping away at Micro$ofts' install base
and it is terrified. Why else would they keep spouting on about how awful

Matthew Poole

On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:23:37 +1200, someone purporting to be Peter doth
scrawl:

> Mutley wrote:

*SNIP*
> and at the same time, it can be used to force everyone to only use Micro$oft
> software - what a happy coincidence. Palladium is coming at last.

For as long as the chips will execute OSS code, MS will be unable to force
their vision on the world.
I suspect that AMD won't make the same mistake, if only so that they can
cash in on the backlash from the OSS community. They already have the
technical superiority in their dual-core solution, this just gives them
extra leverage to take business from Intel.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

H.O.G

On Sun, 29 May 2005 18:33:57 +1200, Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)>
spoke these fine words:

>On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:23:37 +1200, someone purporting to be Peter doth
>scrawl:
>
>> Mutley wrote:

>*SNIP*
>> and at the same time, it can be used to force everyone to only use Micro$oft
>> software - what a happy coincidence. Palladium is coming at last.
>>

>For as long as the chips will execute OSS code, MS will be unable to force
>their vision on the world.
>I suspect that AMD won't make the same mistake, if only so that they can
>cash in on the backlash from the OSS community. They already have the
>technical superiority in their dual-core solution, this just gives them
>extra leverage to take business from Intel.

Do you really honestly believe that Intel would have written this crap
into the processors/chipsets if Microsoft hadn't already provided a
guarantee from AMD that they would do likewise?

We are entering a brave new world of computing...

Tony

On Sun, 29 May 2005 19:05:37 +1200, H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 May 2005 18:33:57 +1200, Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)>
>spoke these fine words:
>
>>On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:23:37 +1200, someone purporting to be Peter doth
>>scrawl:
>>
>>> Mutley wrote:

>>*SNIP*
>>> and at the same time, it can be used to force everyone to only use Micro$oft
>>> software - what a happy coincidence. Palladium is coming at last.
>>>

>>For as long as the chips will execute OSS code, MS will be unable to force
>>their vision on the world.
>>I suspect that AMD won't make the same mistake, if only so that they can
>>cash in on the backlash from the OSS community. They already have the
>>technical superiority in their dual-core solution, this just gives them
>>extra leverage to take business from Intel.

>Do you really honestly believe that Intel would have written this crap
>into the processors/chipsets if Microsoft hadn't already provided a
>guarantee from AMD that they would do likewise?
>
>We are entering a brave new world of computing...

No a Brave new world of Total control, like 1984..?

Your Freedom is now totally gone.

Matthew Poole

On Sun, 29 May 2005 19:05:37 +1200, someone purporting to be H.O.G doth
scrawl:

> On Sun, 29 May 2005 18:33:57 +1200, Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)>
> spoke these fine words:

*SNIP*
> Do you really honestly believe that Intel would have written this crap
> into the processors/chipsets if Microsoft hadn't already provided a
> guarantee from AMD that they would do likewise?

Actually, yes, I do. Intel quite likely think that AMD's membership of
the TPCA alliance is sufficient.
People won't worry about DRM until such time as it breaks things. People
don't like "protected" CDs because they lose the freedom to use them as
they wish, and that backlash has kept them out of a number of stores -
they're almost impossible to find in NZ, for example, just like you can't
find region-encoded DVD players very easily.
The consumer rules all. If consumers give something the thumbs-down, it
will die, regardless of what the manufacturers might think. If nobody
will buy it, it's too expensive to produce.

Also, the US is not the world's only market. China is big, and growing
fast enough that they're projected to overtake the US by the end of next
year as the largest PC market on the planet. If the Chinese Government
decrees that DRM chips are not to be sold, that'll be the end of DRM -
producing two types of chips is too expensive, especially if other
countries follow China's lead and say "you're already making them, so
don't tell us it can't be done."

DRM is a producer initiative. Consumers have said little because few
understand the implications. Once they start to discover that it breaks
things, they'll take notice, and it is a very foolish manufacturer who
ignores their consumers - CPU IDs, anyone? How long did they last before
they were disabled by default? They weren't even particularly dangerous,
either, merely perceived negatively.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

-=rjh=-

Bling-Bling wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:23:37 +1200, Peter wrote:
>

>>>Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling
>>>copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with Intel
>>>Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its latest
>>>dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chipset.

>>http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,121027,00.asp
>>
>>and at the same time, it can be used to force everyone to only use
>>Micro$oft software - what a happy coincidence. Palladium is coming at
>>last.

> Who in their right mind would pay money for hardware and proprietary
> closed-source software that were deliberately designed to prevent them
> from doing whatever they want to do with their computer?
>
> What better reason do you need for walking away from Micro$oft and Intel?

Realistically, apart from a few people who read newsgroups and Slashdot,
*most people won't care*. People will spend a lot of money on a
cellphone and they never consider DRM issues, or even how the pricing
model works (ie, a subscription subsidises the initial cost of the
phone). MS Office activation seems to have settled into being accepted
by the mainstream, and in fact is generally preferred despite there
being perfectly good alternatives, why should DRM be any different?

Suppose this DRM allows MS to tie a "lite" windows for home use tightly
into the hardware they sell it on and control the installation of any
other software. Most people just see they are getting a reliable, secure
and very cheap computer from a good and trusted brand name, and they'll
buy them. If subsidised by some kind of subscription model, they'll even
change them as often as they change cellphones. They'll sell by the
millions. If MS and Intel can get people away from being focussed on
processor speed, they'll even be able to downgrade hardware without
anyone noticing, and make hardware even cheaper.

How many people know what speed processor their cellphone, Xbox or Ipod
has in it? PCs will become just the same. Even now, people only have a
vague idea that bigger numbers are better.

PCs will become an (even worse) environmental disaster; not because of
the hardware, but because of the software.

Richard

-=rjh=- wrote:

> Suppose this DRM allows MS to tie a "lite" windows for home use tightly
> into the hardware they sell it on and control the installation of any
> other software. Most people just see they are getting a reliable, secure
> and very cheap computer from a good and trusted brand name, and they'll
> buy them. If subsidised by some kind of subscription model, they'll even
> change them as often as they change cellphones. They'll sell by the
> millions. If MS and Intel can get people away from being focussed on
> processor speed, they'll even be able to downgrade hardware without
> anyone noticing, and make hardware even cheaper.

Cellphones havent being subsidised for a very long time. If anything, the local
importers are making a killing on the markup on them, Look at the razr - $667 at
parallel improted, and a grand from a vodafone shop

Bruce Sinclair

In article <pan.2005.05.29.05.44.33.829462@TRACKER>, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:23:37 +1200, Peter wrote:
>
>>> Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling
>>> copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with Intel
>>> Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its latest
>>> dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chipset.

>> http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,121027,00.asp
>>
>> and at the same time, it can be used to force everyone to only use
>> Micro$oft software - what a happy coincidence. Palladium is coming at
>> last.

>Who in their right mind would pay money for hardware and proprietary
>closed-source software that were deliberately designed to prevent them
>from doing whatever they want to do with their computer?

Those that fail to think ?

Bruce

- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce