Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > winamp window fallen off edge of world. How do I get it back?

winamp window fallen off edge of world. How do I get it back?

cowboyz

the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put it
in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
window back into the middle of my screen?

pic here

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg

Many thanx in advance. Oh and sorry for crap quality pic but I am on
dialup at the moment.

--
Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

Brendan

On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

> the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
> can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
> drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
> library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put it
> in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
> window back into the middle of my screen?

Position monitor so that you sit squarely in front of it, and using your
hand or perhaps a ruler, gently tap the right hand side of the monitor. The
vibration will cause the window to slide downwards. Click on it's title to
move it when it appears.

Woger's advice you physically position the monitor's higher will NOT work,
as any fool can see: doing so will result in your task bar disappearing off
the bottom of the screen.

Do NOT shake the monitor as others suggest. This may lodge it even further
under the bezel of the monitor and require professional repairs.

Neither should you try ramming your mouse pointer under the bezel with your
ruler as this may result in BOTH being jammed up there.

Some people have had success deleting/modifying the winamp.ini (or some
such) file from the winamp directory. I do not recommend such unlikely
tactics however.

--

.... Brendan

412248 +(4022)- [X]

<Locl-Yocl> I helped the EMTs at a car wreck and got blood all over my arms
and shirt. It looked like I murdered 20 people with a fork... anyway, I
walked into a convieniance store down the street and said my girlfriend
needs a tampon. The guy at the counter was mortified.

Note: All my comments are copyright 29/05/2005 1:51:39 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

GraB

On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
>can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
>drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
>library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put it
>in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
>window back into the middle of my screen?
>
>pic here
>

>http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg
>
>Many thanx in advance. Oh and sorry for crap quality pic but I am on
>dialup at the moment.

Yeh, can't see what you are listening to

In Winamp.ini check

snap=1
snaplen=10

You might be able to make it reappear by increasing the snaplen=
figure.

Further down there is also

keeponscreen=1

Is that a '1' or '0' ? Change it to '1'

GraB

On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:35:25 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
>>can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
>>drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
>>library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put it
>>in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
>>window back into the middle of my screen?
>>
>>pic here
>>

>>http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg
>>
>>Many thanx in advance. Oh and sorry for crap quality pic but I am on
>>dialup at the moment.

>Yeh, can't see what you are listening to
>
>In Winamp.ini check
>
>snap=1
>snaplen=10
>
>You might be able to make it reappear by increasing the snaplen=
>figure.
>
>Further down there is also
>
>keeponscreen=1
>
>Is that a '1' or '0' ? Change it to '1'

Could also try changing a skin. That might 'reset' it.

GraB

On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:40:35 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:35:25 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
>>>can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
>>>drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
>>>library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put it
>>>in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
>>>window back into the middle of my screen?
>>>
>>>pic here
>>>

>>>http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg
>>>
>>>Many thanx in advance. Oh and sorry for crap quality pic but I am on
>>>dialup at the moment.

>>Yeh, can't see what you are listening to
>>
>>In Winamp.ini check
>>
>>snap=1
>>snaplen=10
>>
>>You might be able to make it reappear by increasing the snaplen=
>>figure.
>>
>>Further down there is also
>>
>>keeponscreen=1
>>
>>Is that a '1' or '0' ? Change it to '1'

>Could also try changing a skin. That might 'reset' it.

<ALT> S

cowboyz

On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:40:35 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:35:25 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
>>> can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
>>> drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
>>> library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put
>>> it
>>> in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
>>> window back into the middle of my screen?
>>>
>>> pic here
>>>

>>> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg
>>>
>>> Many thanx in advance. Oh and sorry for crap quality pic but I am on
>>> dialup at the moment.

>> Yeh, can't see what you are listening to
>>
>> In Winamp.ini check
>>
>> snap=1
>> snaplen=10
>>
>> You might be able to make it reappear by increasing the snaplen=
>> figure.
>>
>> Further down there is also
>>
>> keeponscreen=1
>>
>> Is that a '1' or '0' ? Change it to '1'

It is/was a 1. Damn computer thinks I should have a 40'' monitor I think.

> Could also try changing a skin. That might 'reset' it.

changing skin fixed it . thanx. never would have thought of that. Oh
the simplicity
--
Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

cowboyz

On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:05:13 +1200, Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:03:36 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
>
>> the media window has somehow set itself off the top of the screen. I
>> can't get to the top bar of that window to bring it down. If I try to
>> drag the window it resizes it and I can't see the top of the media
>> library. I thought I would change screen resoultions and it would put
>> it
>> in the middle of the screen and that didn't work. How do I get this
>> window back into the middle of my screen?

> Position monitor so that you sit squarely in front of it, and using your
> hand or perhaps a ruler, gently tap the right hand side of the monitor.
> The
> vibration will cause the window to slide downwards. Click on it's title
> move it when it appears.

I figured out how to repair it. After many searches i found lots of info
that said not to run it under windows so I moved my entire computer to the
middle of the room and that fixed the problem.

> Woger's advice you physically position the monitor's higher will NOT
> work,
> as any fool can see: doing so will result in your task bar disappearing
> off
> the bottom of the screen.

I don't see Wogers posts at the moment. I am just a little busy for a
crapTM lesson.

> Do NOT shake the monitor as others suggest. This may lodge it even
> further
> under the bezel of the monitor and require professional repairs.

I already did shake the monitor but I found a good professional in the
paper under "candy". Fortunately the above approach fixed my problem.

> Neither should you try ramming your mouse pointer under the bezel with
> your
> ruler as this may result in BOTH being jammed up there.
>
> Some people have had success deleting/modifying the winamp.ini (or some
> such) file from the winamp directory. I do not recommend such unlikely
> tactics however.

tried modifying ini but had trouble finding exact settings and made things
worse!

BTW.. If you never saw my other post.. changing skin fixed problem.

--
Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

Mark C

cowboyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsp.srhk8apwlk46je@xp2100:

> How do I get this window back into the middle of my screen?
> pic here
> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg

Fixed now, but for future reference, windows can be moved using the
keyboard:

- Make the window active (it has the focus)
- Alt+SpaceBar
- M (Move)
- Use arrow keys to move the window about (down)
- Press Enter to stop moving

Cheers,
Mark

Ron McNulty

There is a general fix to this. I have had Word do it to me, and I
occasionally end up with programs running on the second monitor of my
laptop, but no monitor is connected.

1) Use <Alt><Tab> to put the focus on the errant application.
2) Press <Alt><Spacebar> to open the system menu
3) Press M to select move.
4) Use the arrow keys to move the window.

It the app is running maximised on a second monitor, you might need to
repeat step 2, then R to restore it as a movable window.

Regards

Ron

~misfit~

Mark C wrote:
> cowboyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsp.srhk8apwlk46je@xp2100:
>
>> How do I get this window back into the middle of my screen?
>> pic here
>> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~cowboyz/w.jpg

> Fixed now, but for future reference, windows can be moved using the
> keyboard:
>
> - Make the window active (it has the focus)
> - Alt+SpaceBar
> - M (Move)
> - Use arrow keys to move the window about (down)
> - Press Enter to stop moving

Cool, that works. Thanks, I'll *try* to remember it.
--
~misfit~