Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Installing Windoze using two-year-old hardware...

Installing Windoze using two-year-old hardware...

Bling-Bling

This article on Newsforge is priceless! )

http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?s...33216&from=rss

Bling Bling

--
Microsoft repeatedly suggests that its own internal schedules reflect the
"truth" of the preemptive announcements its executives were making. Internal

Rob J

In article <pan.2005.05.28.02.21.08.541019@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Sat, 28
May 2005 14:21:10 +1200, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> This article on Newsforge is priceless! )
>
> http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?s...33216&from=rss

The article will clearly appeal to a fanatical anti-Windows segment of
the computing community. The problems outlined are totally non-typical of
a normal Windows installation and indicate some level of hardware
incompatibility that is rarely seen.

The brands of hardware (LiquidVideo, Broadcom) mentioned are so obscure
it's a miracle they could be made to work under Linux, let alone Windows.
Hello?

Nova

Rob J wrote:
> In article <pan.2005.05.28.02.21.08.541019@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Sat, 28
> May 2005 14:21:10 +1200, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>
>>This article on Newsforge is priceless! )
>>
>>http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?s...33216&from=rss

> The article will clearly appeal to a fanatical anti-Windows segment of
> the computing community. The problems outlined are totally non-typical of
> a normal Windows installation and indicate some level of hardware
> incompatibility that is rarely seen.
>
> The brands of hardware (LiquidVideo, Broadcom) mentioned are so obscure
> it's a miracle they could be made to work under Linux, let alone Windows.
> Hello?

I wouldn't call broadcom obscure, it's been used on a few mainstream
ASUS boards. I have a board that has a broadcom lan on it, but all I
had to do under windows xp was stick a cd in and click install broadcom
driver, it wasn't rocket science that's for sure.

Porky

On Sat, 28 May 2005 14:21:10 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

> This article on Newsforge is priceless! )
>
> http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?s...33216&from=rss
>

> Bling Bling

It was priceless you moaning about microsoft delivering a 64 bit os ..

Try installing linux on a board that uses a nforce 3 or 4 chipset

Out

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 29 May 2005 15:25:32 +1200, Porky wrote:

> It was priceless you moaning about microsoft delivering a 64 bit os ..

LOL - Micro$oft still doesn't have a 64bit clean OS for the x86_64
platform.

> Try installing linux on a board that uses a nforce 3 or 4 chipset

Funny that, but I'm using a 64bit mobo with an nforce 3 chipset, and a
gforce fx agp card.

Been using that with the 64bit release of Mandrake 10.0 .

I got it when I bought the MOBO, and it installed perfectly.

Bling Bling

Porky

On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:37:51 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2005 15:25:32 +1200, Porky wrote:
>
>> It was priceless you moaning about microsoft delivering a 64 bit os ..

> LOL - Micro$oft still doesn't have a 64bit clean OS for the x86_64
> platform.

LoL Lets look ...

n Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:55:46 +1200, FreedomChooser wrote:

>>Why on earth would they want to stay with the inferior OS?

> Too right they would want the superior Windows64

Apart from the fact that Micro$oft STILL hasn't got a true 64bit-clean OS.

Bling Bling

So your statement about Micro$oft STILL hasn't got a true 64bit-clean was
you or did you forget your meds that morning Bling blong?

>> Try installing linux on a board that uses a nforce 3 or 4 chipset

> Funny that, but I'm using a 64bit mobo with an nforce 3 chipset, and a
> gforce fx agp card.
>
> Been using that with the 64bit release of Mandrake 10.0 .

Why do you use the linux for dummies distro ?

> I got it when I bought the MOBO, and it installed perfectly.
>

> Bling Bling

why am i not surprised you have no clue about how well the nvidia
nforce hardware is not supported in linux.

Tell us all how many windows XP & windows NT boxes you have had
problems installing device drivers for ... and what they were ?

Bling Blong .. linux advocacy at its best ...

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 29 May 2005 18:56:51 +1200, Porky wrote:

> Tell us all how many windows XP & windows NT boxes you have had problems
> installing device drivers for ... and what they were ?

Other than once at work, I have not installed any version of WinNT, and so
cannot comment about the inferior OS variously called Micro$oft
WindowsNT/2000/XP.

I have no intention of ever installing any Micro$oft software on any of my
computers.

Why use costly Micro$oft software when there is superior Open Source
software that is freely available?

Bling Bling

--
[...]

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Bling-Bling wrote:
> This article on Newsforge is priceless! )
> http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?s...33216&from=rss

man, that was totally objective and in no way one-sided at all.

narf.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Rob J wrote:
> The brands of hardware (LiquidVideo, Broadcom) mentioned are so obscure
> it's a miracle they could be made to work under Linux, let alone Windows.

Liquid video I'll give you, but Broadcom are fairly popular.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Bling-Bling wrote:
> Why use costly Micro$oft software when there is superior Open Source
> software that is freely available?

Because it may be better for the job at hand?

It doesn't have to black and white all the time, the world is full of
grey areas.