Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 80GB HDD - FAT32?

80GB HDD - FAT32?

-=rjh=-

I have here, an new external USB2.0 hard drive. It factory supplied
formatted as a single, 80GB, FAT32 partition.

How? I thought FAT32 only supported partitions up to 32GB?

Dave Taylor

-=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4297bc6d$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have here, an new external USB2.0 hard drive. It factory supplied
> formatted as a single, 80GB, FAT32 partition.
>
> How? I thought FAT32 only supported partitions up to 32GB?

http://tools.supportforyourpc.com/ge...e.asp?aid=1035

Although the Fat-32 file system has a maximum accessible limit of 2.2
terabytes, there are still some limitations that occur with hard drives of
today's large capacities.

--
Ciao, Dave

Harry

-=rjh=- wrote:

> I have here, an new external USB2.0 hard drive. It factory supplied
> formatted as a single, 80GB, FAT32 partition.
>
> How? I thought FAT32 only supported partitions up to 32GB?

No, partitioning has nothing to do with filesystem (eg. FAT32), except
that a filesystem gets installed on partition.

MS came out with patched versions of format and fdisk which
enable partitions larger than 32GB.

shannon

-=rjh=- wrote:

> I have here, an new external USB2.0 hard drive. It factory supplied
> formatted as a single, 80GB, FAT32 partition.
>
> How? I thought FAT32 only supported partitions up to 32GB?

XP limits creating FAT32 partitions to that size.
Other partition managers or the manufacturers utility will still make a
large FAT32 partition.

Harry

shannon wrote:

> -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>> I have here, an new external USB2.0 hard drive. It factory supplied
>> formatted as a single, 80GB, FAT32 partition.
>>
>> How? I thought FAT32 only supported partitions up to 32GB?

> XP limits creating FAT32 partitions to that size.

No it doesn't.

> Other partition managers or the manufacturers utility will still make a
> large FAT32 partition.

A partition is not a filesystem.

H.O.G

On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:33:28 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
these fine words:

>I have here, an new external USB2.0 hard drive. It factory supplied
>formatted as a single, 80GB, FAT32 partition.
>
>How? I thought FAT32 only supported partitions up to 32GB?

FAT32 can support partitions up to 2TB (or larger with a bit of
hacking).

The 32GB limit you are refering to is an artificial limit imposed on
the Windows Format tool, as Microsoft do not believe you should be
using the (widely supported) FAT32 file system, due to the advantages
(mainly in file security) of NTFS.

Obviously FAT32 is far more preferable in external storage, as it is
supported by almost every operating system known to man.

Rob J

In article <4297bc6d$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sat, 28 May 2005
12:33:28 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> I have here, an new external USB2.0 hard drive. It factory supplied
> formatted as a single, 80GB, FAT32 partition.
>
> How? I thought FAT32 only supported partitions up to 32GB?

Windowx XP can only format up to 32 GB. However, other operating systems
can format larger FAT32 partitions.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Sat, 28 May 2005 14:33:48 +1200, H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:33:28 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
> these fine words:
>
> >I have here, an new external USB2.0 hard drive. It factory supplied
> >formatted as a single, 80GB, FAT32 partition.
> >
> >How? I thought FAT32 only supported partitions up to 32GB?

> FAT32 can support partitions up to 2TB (or larger with a bit of
> hacking).
>
> The 32GB limit you are refering to is an artificial limit imposed on
> the Windows Format tool, as Microsoft do not believe you should be
> using the (widely supported) FAT32 file system, due to the advantages
> (mainly in file security) of NTFS.
>
> Obviously FAT32 is far more preferable in external storage, as it is
> supported by almost every operating system known to man.

FAT16 is universal, but not FAT32, which is covered by a Microsoft
patent.

CSE

On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:55:22 +1200, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
>Sat, 28 May 2005 14:33:48 +1200, H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:33:28 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
>> these fine words:
>>
>> >I have here, an new external USB2.0 hard drive. It factory supplied
>> >formatted as a single, 80GB, FAT32 partition.
>> >
>> >How? I thought FAT32 only supported partitions up to 32GB?

>> FAT32 can support partitions up to 2TB (or larger with a bit of
>> hacking).
>>
>> The 32GB limit you are refering to is an artificial limit imposed on
>> the Windows Format tool, as Microsoft do not believe you should be
>> using the (widely supported) FAT32 file system, due to the advantages
>> (mainly in file security) of NTFS.
>>
>> Obviously FAT32 is far more preferable in external storage, as it is
>> supported by almost every operating system known to man.

>FAT16 is universal, but not FAT32, which is covered by a Microsoft
>patent.

And so is FAT1 6 as MS is trying to get royalties on it, as its used in
Camera FASH Roms..

-=rjh=-

Rob J wrote:
> In article <4297bc6d$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sat, 28 May 2005
> 12:33:28 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>
>>I have here, an new external USB2.0 hard drive. It factory supplied
>>formatted as a single, 80GB, FAT32 partition.
>>
>>How? I thought FAT32 only supported partitions up to 32GB?

> Windowx XP can only format up to 32 GB. However, other operating systems
> can format larger FAT32 partitions.

Yes, I see that now - the same limit applies to 2000; I had thought the
32GB limit was inherent in FAT32, not a deliberate limitation in some MS
disk management tools.

I assume that they would prefer you to use NTFS but that isn't as
portable as FAT.