Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why does Bill Gates look so old?

Why does Bill Gates look so old?

Lawrence DčOliveiro

Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

Harry

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:

> Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
> the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
> 60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

He has become old. Being rich does not keep cancer, senility,
Parkinsons, or numerous other degenerative diseases at bay.
One day it might, but not today.

Too many Big Macs is probably the real reason for the premature aging.
Too many Linuxs too?

thing

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
> the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
> 60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

I noticed this....interesting that the figurehead of MS looks so old,
suggests its products are old and staid as well...

Whatever MS's spin doctors say, anyone can see MS is under heavy and
increasing pressure from all sides. It is in effect fighting for its
"life" which is compounded by its need to constantly grow (and possibly
accelerate that growth) and not just sit there and rake it in.

Linux has to be a huge worry for MS, its infesting new markets at lower
price points than MS can. Linux's commodity nature means no nice new
cash cows for MS, it has to be happy with margins like the rest of the
IT/tellecoms industry but its not geared for that.

So I think I'd have a few lines as well....

regards

Thing

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
> the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
> 60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

Oh, the usual....plotting to take over the world via patenting every
known thought, so that everytime we think we owe him a license fee...

The patenting drama, the OSS threat, the continual security problems
Windows has, and all the other big players seem out to get MS...its
not surprising to me to see Bill looking like that, but with his way
of running his monolithic tyrannical empire what else can he expect?

Take the dual-shock controller debacle...Immersion, a company who had
been granted a patent for 'tactile response' devices, or something as
vague, took MS and Sony to court. MS payed out of court to the tune of
$26 million, then took a 10% share in Immersion. Sony stood up for its
rights, and let the courts decide. Only issue was that as soon as MS
took up the 10% share in Immersion they helped up the campaign against
Sony, since they now had a share in Immersion.

How ****ing rotten are they? They and Sony are BOTH taken to court for
the same thing, so they squeal out of court, take a 10% share in the
prosecuting client, then turn on Sony...all it will do is hurt the
gaming industry and themselves, for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
XBox...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Nova

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> Just picked up the May 23 issue of Time magazine, which has a feature on
> the new XBox. Bill Gates' face is so lined, he looks like a man in his
> 60s. He seems a bit thin, too. What's he been doing to himself?

Yep well earned lines I guess, hes done pretty well for himself and
it's no secret he's a bit of a workaholic, just the ageing process at work.

Ashame he's not the type of person that can just kick back and enjoy his
wealth.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
> support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
> XBox...

interesting comments on two un-released products.

Nik Coughin

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>> for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
>> support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
>> XBox...

> interesting comments on two un-released products.

But backed up by comments from game developers lately, including Midway.
The titles available make the machine.

Nova

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
>> support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
>> XBox...

> interesting comments on two un-released products.

I doubt sony would consider losing what is it 20%? of the market share
to xbox a mopping of the floor..

and it doesnt look like xbox is only aimed at being a games console, but
rather a media centre, will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
>> support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
>> XBox...

> interesting comments on two un-released products.

A comment based on forum discussion about the 2 consoles, which
seems to lean towards gamers showing bias towards eventually
getting the PS3

Sony has shown very well that the solid, but 'lesser' spec of the
PS2, meant nothing when it came to putting consoles and games into
homes, which they have done with greater success than MS...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

steve

Nova wrote:
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>>> for Sony PS3 looks to have majority
>>> support from the gamers, and will likely mop the floor with the new
>>> XBox...

>> interesting comments on two un-released products.

> I doubt sony would consider losing what is it 20%? of the market share
> to xbox a mopping of the floor..
>
> and it doesnt look like xbox is only aimed at being a games console, but
> rather a media centre, will be interesting to see how things turn out.

It may prove to a DRM-crippled media centre.....if not now then soon.

You'd want to be very careful about investing in tools if someone else
is dictating how you may use them.